Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [3]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: Neurobiologists have never questioned that axon malfunction [#permalink]
I have a weak point towards reading comprehension. Hopefully, I’ll get better with practice. Thank you!
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Because B for Q1 is not mentioned in the passage, anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Neurobiologists have never questioned that axon malfunction [#permalink]
Bookmarks
aishumurali wrote:
This honestly feels like critical reasoning . You cannot verify each word if it matches accurately in the passage.
How can we improve in the RC section , everytime i do passages i feel i am kind of hitting a plateau . It is highly demotivating

Hi aishumurali!!

Gear up! First, do not get demotivated, if you see that something is hitting you hard hit back :lol: . So how can you do this in rc is by reading, read extensive material from diverse fields. Because a person from science might not have read a business article or a person from business might not have read an astrology article. Due to this you get nervous when something new pops up! You can read articles on the club, here- https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-daily ... 23310.html And post your understanding here- https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/evaluatio ... tml#p73536
So that the experts could help you to think the right way and improve your mistakes. And these articles are from highly reliable sources.

Apart from this there are many approaches to tackle an rc, for some its comprehending the passage by talking the most time, for others its skimming. Find one for yourself, it is not necessary to copy others method, construct one for yourself. For eg. what works the best for me is taking some time to comprehend the passage and if I don't understand I don't stick to that part, because at the end I might losing more points if I stick to that one part. And you cannot improve in a week or days span people take months to improve.

So, I would suggest, forget the timer for now, focus on the accuracy. I mean, understand the big picture, what types of questions are most common to the test, what are the common mistakes you make, what are the easy cues you could look out for. Once these things are in place you can work on your speed, note I am not saying you to take half an hour or one hour for a 4 question rc. Take 15 mins devote 45 mins to re read it and understand it more thoroughly. Analysis is really important it helps you not to repeat the mistake twice.

You can also visit some of the posts-

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/tips-to-a ... .html#p184

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/how-to-im ... .html#p142

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/main-idea ... .html#p183

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/how-to-sc ... 23624.html

Let me know if I can help you further! :)

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Neurobiologists have never questioned that axon malfunction [#permalink]
In question one i got answer right but i was not sure about option 1,

as it is given as : The levels of myelin in the brain can contribute to the neurological health of individuals.

According to passage , high level is good for neurological health and low is bad but here it is given as levels only
so i paraphrase it as, good or bad level both contribute to neurological health , so i thought it will be wrong.

I feel the option will be more clear if it given as 1)The levels of myelin in the brain can contribute to the levels of neurological health of individuals.
OR 2) The levels of myelin in the brain can Related to the neurological health of individuals.

and thus i waste my precious time here and at last consider it as right even after not that much convinced on it.

Carcass Sir, as mentioned everywhere practice built up accuracy but in case of gre passages (mostly medium or short) i found that they are written in very roundabout language and due to their short length they don't come with clear contrast or contradiction to understand where passage is taking turn and thus i am reading it very consciously but such consciousness making me very fastidious that i am getting stuck on such option choices which are not 100% verified from the passage.

any suggestions here ?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
My suggestion is to read and discuss , in case, what I write for this forum spending countless hours in front of the monitor

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/shorte ... ml#p112202

:blushing: ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Why "C" for Q1?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I solved the question in 2 m and 54 s. Is that time considered too much ?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Definitely.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can I ask you what would it be a maximum time limit to solve it and in general, this type of questions? In your opinion. Thanks in advance!
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, it really depends on your level of English as a whole. Your ability to grasp, dissect the argument, and to retain key information without getting lost in unuseful details in the passage.

There is not a fixed time but is more correct to talk about "average time". Because it also depends on the difficulty level of the reading itself.

If we would set the time: 1-3 minutes to reading the entire passage, which depends on the length, how many words it counts. One minute to answer a single question.

As it turns out, the more you grasp easily the passage, the more you will reply fast a question.

Hope this really helps you.

Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Hi Carcass,

In question 1, how option C is also correct.
Thanks..

Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
As humans mature and their neurochemistries grow more complex, oligodendrocyte cells produce increasing amounts of myelin to protect the Byzantine circuitry inside our nervous systems.

Do you spot why C is also correct ??

Ask for further assistance.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
I was very much tempted to consider answer B in question no 1. as the passage quotes

Bereft of myelin, certain areas of the brain may be left vulnerable to short circuiting, resulting in such disorders as ADHD, schizophrenia, and autism.

Lack of myelin causes such disorders, then could increase in the same alleviate the situation? How can we certainly say B is not an answer choice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Can you pls explain how option A in 1st answer is correct?

❑ The levels of myelin in the brain can contribute to the neurological health of individuals.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
aishumurali wrote:
Can you pls explain how option A in 1st answer is correct?

❑ The levels of myelin in the brain can contribute to the neurological health of individuals.

Bereft of myelin, certain areas of the brain may be left vulnerable to short circuiting, resulting in such disorders as ADHD, schizophrenia, and autism.

If we do not have a privation, the brain's health surely is increased

A is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
This honestly feels like critical reasoning . You cannot verify each word if it matches accurately in the passage.
How can we improve in the RC section , everytime i do passages i feel i am kind of hitting a plateau . It is highly demotivating
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts