Last visit was: 18 Oct 2024, 06:28 It is currently 18 Oct 2024, 06:28

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q169 V161
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 35758 [0]
Given Kudos: 25841
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Onondaga Lake in Syracuse, New York, has historical significance as th [#permalink]
Can somebody please explain in detail?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Re: Onondaga Lake in Syracuse, New York, has historical significance as th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
has historical significance as the site of the founding of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy and literary _________ as the setting for some of the legends of Hiawatha.

We do have two things that must be parallel

The historical importance for reason X

AND

import (significance) ALSO for some of the legends

X+Y

Our Y must be import

Hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Onondaga Lake in Syracuse [#permalink]
Carcass You are an expert of vocabulary from where did you learn the words and how did you improve the vocabulary as I have read Manhattan 1000 words and Magoosh words and I have also read the word power, but still I am lagging in vocabulary. Generally, revise those words almost daily, but I haven’t seen these words like import means meaning. Or relativism means attitude and in hard questions or medium questions I couldn’t able to interpret the question. Also, please guide me and please tell me which words from where I should learn the words or which will come for sure or which will help me to improve my scoring GRE.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Onondaga Lake in Syracuse [#permalink]
By mistake, I have written “Import means meaning “
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 35758 [1]
Send PM
Onondaga Lake in Syracuse [#permalink]
Expert Reply
This is really a good question. The problem is not simple and I shall explain why in steps.

1) Consider your brain like a warehouse. A huge hangar. You can store there a vast amount of words but at the end of the day even though it is huge is still limited. It is finite. Compound this with the fact that you have to learn words in a short amount of time and this could be problematic.

2) I, for example, have a vast vocabulary because I built it over time, regardless of the GRE: reading book after book, article after article, and so forth. Frankly, I never read a word list more than one page. It is not for me. The same , for me, is true for the GMAT exam when sentence correction was still in place: I never read or memorized tons and tons of idioms or crazy rules. The standard English language has kind of like 13k idioms. It is impossible even though those for the GMAT at the time were finite numbers, to know.

Therefore , how to deal with the short amount of time we have to prepare for the GRE and the fact to improve our score?

In my opinion you have three ways

1) First of all read my guide for TC/SE https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/shorte ... 33604.html

And stress to the only thing that always will save you: understand the real meaning of the sentence. REALLy what the sentence is telling you

2) because the exam repeats itself over and over again the words per se are repeated alike even though they are used in different sentences. Here is where the word lists from Manhattan or Magoosh fall shot: they do an outstanding job. Hands down. but, still in MY opinion, they insist in words and phrases that you will never see in the real exam. With words that will never you have in the GRE such as effluvium or tyro. Never seen such words in the GRE mentor course with over 600 official questions

So my advice is to study my words weekly that contains words from the powerprep exams https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-vo ... 22358.html

3) Use the prefixes and roots of a word to extrapolate the meaning of other words that you do not know https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-ge ... 27742.html

or also to use Most Frequently Used GRE Vocabulary Words
The first spreadsheet consists of words with the highest probability of appearing on GRE and their possible meanings and Youtube Videos.

or also to use this new project we have

Study GRE Vocab in KAR3L, Support Learning Research, and Earn Rewards! https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/study- ... 34043.html

From the University of Texas if I remember well.

So, in conclusion, and to recap

- meaning of the sentence
- weekly vocabulary words
- prefixes and roots of words
- maybe, the spreadsheet we have and the flashcards by the Karl Project

I hope this helps
Prep Club for GRE Bot
Onondaga Lake in Syracuse [#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Forum Moderator
37 posts
GRE Instructor