Last visit was: 24 Oct 2024, 01:24 It is currently 24 Oct 2024, 01:24

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 35884 [3]
Given Kudos: 25864
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 717
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 35884 [0]
Send PM
Re: Despite her (i) ________ position on tax reform, the senator was not ( [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OE

The sentence is tricky; you may need to fill the two blanks at the same time. Perhaps the senator is not willing to “strike a concessionary tone” or perhaps she is not reluctant to strike such a tone; which meaning is correct? “Concessionary” is the act of conceding a point, so the senator must have a particular position that differs from her opponents. If, in spite of “her ________ position,” she is not reluctant to concede a point, then her position must be quite strong, or “hardline.” If, on the other hand, she is not willing to concede anything, then her position must be middle-of-the-road or undetermined. No choice fits this meaning, so “hardline” is the correct answer for the first blank. The sentence does not provide clues to tell whether her position is “conservative” or liberal. “Fiduciary” (relating to trust, especially with financial matters) does not fit here. For the second blank, the senator was ultimately not unwilling, or not “loath” to concede a point. “Not permitted” would refer to someone else restricting her; the sentence doesn’t indicate this. “Not qualified” implies an outside value judgment; again, the sentence doesn’t indicate this.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 35884 [0]
Send PM
Re: Despite her (i) ________ position on tax reform, the senator was not ( [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Chanchal wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Despite her (i) ________ position on tax reform, the senator was not (ii) ________ to strike a concessionary tone when she debated the issue with her opponents.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
A. conservative D. loath
B. fiduciary E. permitted
C. hardline F. qualified

Can you please tell Me Why Loath is correct for Second Blank?

Let me know if you need further explanations. I 'll be happy to step in again
Prep Club for GRE Bot
Moderators:
GRE Forum Moderator
37 posts
GRE Instructor
222 posts
GRE Instructor
1063 posts