Last visit was: 22 Jun 2024, 18:28 It is currently 22 Jun 2024, 18:28

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33763 [0]
Given Kudos: 25382
Send PM
Re: My 4th GMAT attempt and still 550. Shall I shift to GRE? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi,

starting from what we do know: you made a huge effort for overcoming the test at the best. Moreover, you have taken the best courses out there, actually.

However, if you have Einstein as a teacher, then does not mean you will be the best physic scientist. In my experience of over 7 years on gmatclub the answer for a stagnant score, especially after four attempts, is almost never in a course.

Did you have:
  • an error log
  • did you stick your strength areas and relative weak
  • did use external sources to improve your English skills to tackle the verbal part of the test
  • did you try different strategies to tackle the quant side: for instance, attaching the question with strategy bottom-up and not only top down. Usually, the students think one way
  • why during the test day your score is lower than you expect: nervous, the wrong choice of the sections - you could choose verbal as first. Most of the students think that quant is the key to a top score and this is false. Up to 740 if you pick some quant question wrong but the verbal side is almost perfect, in this is the real reason for a stellar score. As it turns out, we talk and express via words, not math symbols. For a score above 750 you need to score almost perfectly in both sections

Questions like these are paramount in your preparation. And please stop to talk about "the gmat is not in my destiny" is silly.

I am not waste time to write an essay on this
For the quant side back to the roots and study the gmatclub math book. The only source you need https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-math-book-87417.html
Then practice with all the questions by Bunuel gathered by me https://gmatclub.com/forum/bunuel-signa ... 70062.html and all the official questions https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmatprep ... 87679.html

For verbal see the CR both theory and practice best resources on gmatclub https://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-verbal-qu ... 95437.html at the bottom you do have the links for RC and SC.

As for the GRE: if you are good at math on the GMAT for the GRE is the same and easier. So you should be fine. For verbal on GRE is another story.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V156
Send PM
Also it would depend upon the career goals. From my research, consulting and finance companies take into consideration your GMAT score when hiring. I doubt if they consider GRE equally. It would be great if someone with information on this could respond.. If you are looking to specialize in some other sector, it should be fine to just get into college of your choice using other strengths you have..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I am in the very same boat! 2 attempts on GMAT with a low score and now I have only 2 weeks to prepare (B school deadlines). I am trying to evaluate if GRE is a better option for me. Can someone suggest if I should even try to take GRE as I have only 2 weeks for prep, or I should keep my focus on GMAT? GMAT is kind of scaring me now because however hard I try I am unable to score in the exam (scoring better in prep tests though).

Also, can someone share a link to a free GRE diagnostic test?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33763 [0]
Given Kudos: 25382
Send PM
Expert Reply
Guys look at under your nose.

This board, as GMATClub, has tons of resources

The dash board above will guide you :)

Attachment:
shot27.jpg
shot27.jpg [ 126.98 KiB | Viewed 6464 times ]

Attachment:
shot28.jpg
shot28.jpg [ 102.14 KiB | Viewed 6480 times ]

also our test

https://gre.myprepclub.com/tests/

Feel free to reach me out.

Kindly regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Hi there Tahatheman
I might not be able to help you a lot. But I think my story can give you some information.
Last year, I was in the same boat as you Tahatheman. I enrolled in e-gmat for verbal and Math Revolution for quant. It was very helpful. The first mock test before I took the two course was 450. After I took the course (I studied for about a year for those course) I gave a mock test again and achieved 580 at best. But at the real GMAT, my score is 480. This is due to my pause at the mock test.

I contemplated and asked gmatclub legend who took GRE. His suggestion was good. Because of that, I planned to take GRE over GMAT in 2019.
I enrolled at Magoosh. Their explanation is good. I also bought the official guide. I studied for 6 month.
The quant portion of GRE is easier than GMAT. I find it more comfortable to solve the quant in GRE than GMAT
For verbal portion, the huge difference is GRE verbal rely much on vocabulary. The Sentence Completion and Sentence Equivalence rely much on vocabulary than logic. The Paragraph Argument and Reading Comperehension is similiar to that of GMAT.
But this is where I gamble. I find it easier for me to remember the vocabulary in context rather than read the logic behind the sentence. So I studied a lot on memorizing the vocabulary and put my best effort on Sentence Completion and Sentencen Equivalence. This two part is more comfortable for me than Paragraph Argument and Reading Comprehension.

My GRE score is 306 (Q157 V149). This score, using the GRE - GMAT converter, is equivalent to 540 on GMAT.
Though this is not the best part of me, I think my GRE score reflected my current ability precisely.

For your question number 3, I think you should really consider take GRE. There are a lot of stuff here in grepreclub. Personally, I suggest you take Magoosh.
For your question number 4, you can search study plan on Magoosh. But personally, I suggest you study 6 months at max. You need to catch up the vocabulary. Give yourself 3 months to memorizing the vocabulary, and another 3 months to practice at the questions. My mistake is I use a lot of my time on memorizing vocabulary and a little time to practice on questions.

I want to apply to HHL Leipzig full time MBA this round. Maybe we can meet at Leipzig somehow, hehe...

I hope this information can help you a bit :)
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts
Retired Moderator
30 posts