Last visit was: 20 Sep 2024, 02:49 It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 02:49

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10998 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: How to get in Grad School with Bad Grades? [#permalink]
Letters of recommendation can work wonders
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I had the same problem. I eventually was admitted to and graduated from Stanford Grad school. A high GRE helped me. I think schools like the high scores because it helps boost their rankings. But yeah the low grades are hard to overcome. I wouldnt dwell on them too much, just explain that youve learned for your mistakes and then really emphasize your successful years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
What stinks is that some law schools put way more stock into the LSAT or GRE than the undergraduate GPA and other application items, which is frankly appalling. Like seriously? You will admit somebody with a 340 GRE or 168 LSAT, but yet has a 2.8 to 3.0 GPA? Something is wrong there. When schools tend to admit people more on how they scored on a single standardized test, something's fishy. It makes me wonder if they have some kind of deal going on with the test makers, or they have to make sure that their entering class has the highest test scores of any college for some particular reason (like rankings as somebody above mentioned). That's pretty bad. It's highly conceivable that although the person did well on the LSAT or GRE, they could indeed flounder and sink when it comes to the actual academic work. Schools better wizen up and weigh standardized test scores less than GPA, at the bare minimum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Zeezelol wrote:
Letters of recommendation can work wonders

I completely agree. Pick your recommenders wisely. Great recommendation letter can make up for some weaker parts of your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
If your grade is not good then you should have the reasons. You can explain the reason honestly rather going for a shortcut. Also, explain about your strength in particular subject.

Way of presentation, talking behavior, respect to the person you are talking with........ all matter.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts