Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 03:03 It is currently 19 May 2024, 03:03

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q167 V162

GRE 2: Q165 V164
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Good GRE Score for CS MS/PhD in a Top University (161V, 170Q, 4.5AWA)? [#permalink]
idanorzach wrote:
Hi,

I took the GRE general test and scored 161 verbal, 170 quant and 4.5 awa.

Is it high enough (specifically the verbal section) for having a chance to get into ms/phd in cs in a top university (e.g. mit, stanford), assuming that my other requirements will be good and English is not my native?

Thanks.

Dear Applicant,

If your TOEFL/IELTS score is strong, then yes, you don't need to worry about the GRE verbal section score at all.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33350 [0]
Given Kudos: 25254
Send PM
Good GRE Score for CS MS/PhD in a Top University (161V, 170Q, 4.5AWA)? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I would like to spend my humble opinion on that.

It is TRUE that IF you are strong on a GMAT/GRE Rc passage, even a 700 level, the IELTS or TOEFL iBT is a joke.

However, the other way around is NOT true because the TOEFL passage even though conceived for those students who are at the college level they are NOT so convoluted and tricky as those on the GMAT/GRE because they are structured for those students at advanced level: Ph.D., MBA, Master, MS which is the step further. To prepare people to be a manager, CEO, or professors in Academia

This is an example of an RC on the TOEFL from the ETS Official website https://www.ets.org/s/toefl/pdf/reading ... e_sets.pdf

Even though the passage is a bit convoluted, the questions are (according also to the latest TOEFL OG 6th edition)

- the pronoun they refer to in the portion, I.E. which is the antecedent of "they";
- the word X is close to the meaning (several of these)
- what do you can infer from the paragraph (always). On the GMAT/GRE often is what you can infer from the WHOLE passage, which is quite different.
- where does this sentence fit best in a specific spot in the paragraph?
- the answer choices are always FOUR and NOT five as on the GMAT/GRE

Moreover, the two tests are also different: they are not CAT, they are used to test verbal skills, grammar, words, if you are able to write an essay.

On the other hand, the GMAT /GRE test your critical reasoning or thinking skills first.

I hope this helps
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts