Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 15:47 It is currently 19 May 2024, 15:47

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2125 [4]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GRE 1: Q167 V162

GRE 2: Q165 V164
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: GRE for MBA [#permalink]
rx10 wrote:
Hey,

One thing I can say is that you won't be at a disadvantage with your GRE score. There are many universities that reported an increasing trend in the submission of the GRE scores. So there is not any kind of discrimination against GRE people.

And both GRE and GMAT are considered similar so it's not that with GRE you need extra currics and with GMAT you don't. For the admission, the whole process will be holistic and the overall scenario will be taken into the consideration.

Quoting bb:

Here is the data that was used in the US News Rankings, reported by the Business Schools. This data was submitted for the class that started a year ago (not this current class), so a Class of 2022.

Attachment:
GMAT vs. GRE.png

Regards,
R

Hi SHIVKRISH123, second the thoughts mentioned here for mostly all top US MBAs. Very few (eg: CMU Tepper) have mentioned previously for GMAT explicitly. The trend is definitely towards no preference between either GMAT/GRE for all US Schools.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hey Shivkrish123, I would disagree with the others here and say that the GRE is a perfectly fine test to use for your MBA application.

First, the GRE is no longer a second-tier test in the eyes of business schools. Every one of the top 15 business schools now accepts the GRE as a component of their applications. And if a business school accepts either test, it must treat them as functionally equivalent because anything that a university shares publicly about itself in its own literature is legally binding.

Second are the tactical advantages of taking the GRE. I have worked in the test prep industry for sixteen years and taught every standardized test under the sun. Simply put, I think the GRE is easier than the GMAT. This is true for all GRE sections.

How hard is the GRE? OK, to be clear, this is not to say that the GRE is a walk in the park (it isn’t). How long is the GRE, for instance? Just as long as the GMAT. However, the GMAT more frequently requires the use of logical reasoning – on both sections of the test – in addition to knowledge of the relevant quantitative and qualitative material. Therefore, preparation for the GMAT requires both extensive studying of the testable content and practicing how to manipulate that content using the rules of formal logic.

The GMAT’s verbal section contains many more critical reasoning problems than does the GRE’s verbal section. In fact, only approximately 6% of all GRE verbal problems have a logic component. There is no GRE to GMAT conversion chart to compare the whole test, but that’s pretty telling.

Third, at every top-ranked business school, the GRE score percentiles associated with the median scores of their matriculated cohorts are lower for the GRE than for the GMAT. Across the 15 schools listed, median GRE scores were on average 9 percentile points lower than median GMAT scores.

This means that you don’t have to perform as highly on the GRE as you have to perform on the GMAT to be competitive for these programs. Nine percentile points is an enormous advantage.

I hope this helps you make a decision. In either case, best of luck to you!
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33350 [0]
Given Kudos: 25255
Send PM
GRE for MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RISE of GRE in number of entrants reporting GRE test scores

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/rise-of-g ... 27143.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
achievableprep wrote:
Hey Shivkrish123, I would disagree with the others here and say that the GRE is a perfectly fine test to use for your MBA application.

First, the GRE is no longer a second-tier test in the eyes of business schools. Every one of the top 15 business schools now accepts the GRE as a component of their applications. And if a business school accepts either test, it must treat them as functionally equivalent because anything that a university shares publicly about itself in its own literature is legally binding.

Second are the tactical advantages of taking the GRE. I have worked in the test prep industry for sixteen years and taught every standardized test under the sun. Simply put, I think the GRE is easier than the GMAT. This is true for all GRE sections.

How hard is the GRE? OK, to be clear, this is not to say that the GRE is a walk in the park (it isn’t). How long is the GRE, for instance? Just as long as the GMAT. However, the GMAT more frequently requires the use of logical reasoning – on both sections of the test – in addition to knowledge of the relevant quantitative and qualitative material. Therefore, preparation for the GMAT requires both extensive studying of the testable content and practicing how to manipulate that content using the rules of formal logic.

The GMAT’s verbal section contains many more critical reasoning problems than does the GRE’s verbal section. In fact, only approximately 6% of all GRE verbal problems have a logic component. There is no GRE to GMAT conversion chart to compare the whole test, but that’s pretty telling.

Third, at every top-ranked business school, the GRE score percentiles associated with the median scores of their matriculated cohorts are lower for the GRE than for the GMAT. Across the 15 schools listed, median GRE scores were on average 9 percentile points lower than median GMAT scores.

This means that you don’t have to perform as highly on the GRE as you have to perform on the GMAT to be competitive for these programs. Nine percentile points is an enormous advantage.

I hope this helps you make a decision. In either case, best of luck to you!

Thanks achievableprep, may I ask where did you get the 9 percentile data point
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AkkuJi wrote:
Thanks achievableprep, may I ask where did you get the 9 percentile data point

Hi AkkuJi, this data point comes from our own analysis of the GRE and GMAT percentiles of top graduate programs and business schools. I can't post URLs yet, but you can see it on our blog at blog.achievable.me/gre-exam/gmat-vs-gre/
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Thanks achievableprep, I was browsing through UCB Haas class profile and can see current class median GMAT as 730, GRE Q 162 and V 162. So after putting these median scores into ets converter I got 670 as GMNAT equivalent thats a 60 point GAP :dazed :dazed :dazed :dazed
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah the gap is really large in some instances, definitely makes the GRE more attractive in those instances.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts