Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33115 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION-GRE 321: @Admissionado and other experts [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AndyPV wrote:
Hello @Admissionado and all the experts out there,

Kindly review my profile and suggest:

Program interested in: Masters of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA)
GRE: 321 Q166 V155
Work Experience: 3.5+ years as Business Analyst and Senior Research Analyst in 2 Startups and a major consulting firm.
Undergraduate GPA: 7.9/10
Accolades during professional career: Got 2 promotions and reached a position where I had to manage a team comprising of few associates and analysts. Was awarded with the Best Analyst award for three times in a row (Have physical copies of certificates that were presented to me). Also won the award for getting the highest sale of the year 2019 for my company. ( I am not from the sales domain but I was the one who sourced the initial data and authored the pre-report for which the client awarded the contract to us).

Planning to get two LoRs from my immediate manager and associate manager in the companies that I worked for.

I have shortlisted the following colleges based on some research that I did:

Ambitious colleges:
1) Texas McCombs
2) Boston Questrom
3) Minnesota Carlson

Colleges with good chance:
1) Emory Goizueta
2) Washington Foster

Safe college:
1) Arizona Carey

Please let me know what are my chances for the aforementioned colleges and that if I should delete an existing one for a substitute.

Thanks a lot :-D

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and it sounds like you have an impressive background--congrats on everything you've achieved to date! At first glance I have two questions about your profile, which are 1) how long were you at each of the roles you mentioned above (startup and consulting) and why did you leave?, and 2) what are you hoping to gain from a MSBA program? The first will give me a better sense of your professional background as it looks like you've changed roles somewhat frequently in ~3-4 years. The second is both to advise on how strong your profile is, but also to help point you toward schools that would be a good fit. Some programs will be more quantitative than others, some have more of an emphasis on marketing, databases, etc. etc. Based on the information I do have, I'd say you're thinking about things more or less in the right way--Questrom would be more of a "good chance" as you're right at their median GRE quant score.

Hope that helps and feel free to reach out with additional info!

Best,
Karen
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
AndyPV wrote:

Work Experience: 3.5+ years as Business Analyst and Senior Research Analyst in 2 Startups and a major consulting firm.
Accolades during professional career: Got 2 promotions and reached a position where I had to manage a team comprising of few associates and analysts. Was awarded with the Best Analyst award for three times in a row (Have physical copies of certificates that were presented to me). Also won the award for getting the highest sale of the year 2019 for my company. ( I am not from the sales domain but I was the one who sourced the initial data and authored the pre-report for which the client awarded the contract to us).

Planning to get two LoRs from my immediate manager and associate manager in the companies that I worked for.

Ambitious colleges:
1) Texas McCombs
2) Boston Questrom
3) Minnesota Carlson

1) Emory Goizueta
2) Washington Foster

Safe college:
1) Arizona Carey

Please let me know what are my chances for the aforementioned colleges and that if I should delete an existing one for a substitute.

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and it sounds like you have an impressive background--congrats on everything you've achieved to date! At first glance I have two questions about your profile, which are 1) how long were you at each of the roles you mentioned above (startup and consulting) and why did you leave?, and 2) what are you hoping to gain from a MSBA program? The first will give me a better sense of your professional background as it looks like you've changed roles somewhat frequently in ~3-4 years. The second is both to advise on how strong your profile is, but also to help point you toward schools that would be a good fit. Some programs will be more quantitative than others, some have more of an emphasis on marketing, databases, etc. etc. Based on the information I do have, I'd say you're thinking about things more or less in the right way--Questrom would be more of a "good chance" as you're right at their median GRE quant score.

Best,
Karen

Hello Karen,

Thank you very much for reviewing my profile. Please find below the additional information:

1) I did not change roles throughout the span of my career. It was just the notation (Research Analyst in the Startup v/s Business Analyst at the major firm) used by the companies. My job role remained same and I was attached to the same domain as well for the full duration of my professional tenure. Also, both the start-up and the 'close-to' billion dollar firms were into consulting.

My job role demands of me to find sizeable amounts of raw data, crunch the numbers and then produce solutions to clients in the form of a report which will include the final data points arrived after working on the aforementioned crude data.

I first joined the start-up as an associate analyst and after 9 months, got called up by the 'big-firm' and they offered me a promotion (as a 'Business Analyst') as I did pretty well in the interview and also had some cross-domain experience. But only after getting into the major club did I realize that the work there was pretty monotonous. Data was old and already accumulated. I had to just re-work or update the older data (pretty different from what it was described in the initial Job Description when they reached out to me) and I rarely had new data to play with. So after 9 months again I reverted back to the earlier start-up, joined as a Research Analyst, (with reference to the aforementioned convention) and was promoted to the role of a 'Senior Research Analyst' during my yearly appraisal. It was during my second stint with the start-up that I received the accolades mentioned in the previous post.

Lastly, I stopped working since July 2020 as I contracted Bronchitis twice and was under heavy medication which made me quite weak and almost restricted to the bed. Just a few weeks after my recovery, tragedy struck again and we are in a state of bereavement following the loss of our beloved uncle.

2) As for your second question, I want to pursue an MSBA degree because I feel it compliments my existing work experience. Throughout the nature of my job, I mostly used primitive tools such as Excel and SPSS. I have always loved analyzing chunks of data and MSBA will equip me with the right and latest tools to handle and present the data more efficiently. Subsequently I can build my career as a full fledged consultant in some of the big guns in the United States.
As per your insight, I would not prefer a school which would emphasize on Marketing. But I think I would have the choice of selecting electives that would entice me in most colleges. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hope I have answered your questions. Additionally, please find below a few additional queries that popped up in my mind:

1) Since I am currently not associated with any company, will that affect my chance of admission?
2) Apart from Questrom, What would be my chances in schools like Foster or Carey? I deem them to be my safer bets and my GRE score is higher than their average. (Again, correct me if I am wrong)

Thanks and Regards,
Anirudh.
Admissionado Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AndyPV wrote:
Admissionado wrote:
AndyPV wrote:

Ambitious colleges:
1) Texas McCombs
2) Boston Questrom
3) Minnesota Carlson

1) Emory Goizueta
2) Washington Foster

Safe college:
1) Arizona Carey

Hi there,

Best,
Karen

Hello Karen,

Thank you very much for reviewing my profile. Please find below the additional information:

1) I did not change roles throughout the span of my career. It was just the notation (Research Analyst in the Startup v/s Business Analyst at the major firm) used by the companies. My job role remained same and I was attached to the same domain as well for the full duration of my professional tenure. Also, both the start-up and the 'close-to' billion dollar firms were into consulting.

My job role demands of me to find sizeable amounts of raw data, crunch the numbers and then produce solutions to clients in the form of a report which will include the final data points arrived after working on the aforementioned crude data.

I first joined the start-up as an associate analyst and after 9 months, got called up by the 'big-firm' and they offered me a promotion (as a 'Business Analyst') as I did pretty well in the interview and also had some cross-domain experience. But only after getting into the major club did I realize that the work there was pretty monotonous. Data was old and already accumulated. I had to just re-work or update the older data (pretty different from what it was described in the initial Job Description when they reached out to me) and I rarely had new data to play with. So after 9 months again I reverted back to the earlier start-up, joined as a Research Analyst, (with reference to the aforementioned convention) and was promoted to the role of a 'Senior Research Analyst' during my yearly appraisal. It was during my second stint with the start-up that I received the accolades mentioned in the previous post.

Lastly, I stopped working since July 2020 as I contracted Bronchitis twice and was under heavy medication which made me quite weak and almost restricted to the bed. Just a few weeks after my recovery, tragedy struck again and we are in a state of bereavement following the loss of our beloved uncle.

2) As for your second question, I want to pursue an MSBA degree because I feel it compliments my existing work experience. Throughout the nature of my job, I mostly used primitive tools such as Excel and SPSS. I have always loved analyzing chunks of data and MSBA will equip me with the right and latest tools to handle and present the data more efficiently. Subsequently I can build my career as a full fledged consultant in some of the big guns in the United States.
As per your insight, I would not prefer a school which would emphasize on Marketing. But I think I would have the choice of selecting electives that would entice me in most colleges. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hope I have answered your questions. Additionally, please find below a few additional queries that popped up in my mind:

1) Since I am currently not associated with any company, will that affect my chance of admission?
2) Apart from Questrom, What would be my chances in schools like Foster or Carey? I deem them to be my safer bets and my GRE score is higher than their average. (Again, correct me if I am wrong)

Thanks and Regards,
Anirudh.

Hi Anirudh,

Got it--that's helpful context! It will be important in your applications to make those transitions clear so the ad coms can follow your career progression (by multiple roles what I meant was multiple companies). I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle--it sounds like this was a tough year for your family. Given the general instability I think schools are more forgiving of gaps on resumes than they have been in the past, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, although that's also why applications are up across the board so it might be a bit of a wash.

All schools do offer different electives you can choose from, but different schools have different strengths so I'd encourage you to really look at the curriculum to make sure it will take you were you want to go (E.g. some, like UConn, have strong database/ IT program management components that others don't offer). For you it sounds like that is consulting, so check out job placement reports and see if you'd be happy working at the places grads typically end up.

Finally, I think you do have good chances at Carey and Foster--you're right to think about where your GRE score is vs. the average as that's really the best benchmark.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out if you think Admissionado could help with some of these apps!

Karen
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Karen,

Really appreciate your prompt response in clearing my queries. As advised by you, I will again have a look at the curriculum of my target colleges and also the job placement reports. Also, will definitely reach out to you on the given e-mail if I need more help regarding various aspects of my applications. My sincere thanks to you again.

Regards,
Anirudh.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts