Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:21

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 437
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2119 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Rate my argument AWA (out of 6) [#permalink]
Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become extinct. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because there is no evidence that the humans had any significant contact with the mammals. Further, archaeologists have discovered numerous sites where the bones of fish had been discarded, but they found no such areas containing the bones of large mammals, so the humans cannot have hunted the mammals. Therefore, some climate change or other environmental factor must have caused the species' extinctions.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

rx10 wrote:
Where is the question prompt?

Please add.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2119 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Edited the original post in the correct format.

Carcass
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Carcass

Chaithraln2499 wrote:
This is my first attempt at writing an argument essay, would love to hear feedback on this.

Quote:
Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become extinct. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because there is no evidence that the humans had any significant contact with the mammals. Further, archaeologists have discovered numerous sites where the bones of fish had been discarded, but they found no such areas containing the bones of large mammals, so the humans cannot have hunted the mammals. Therefore, some climate change or other environmental factors must have caused the species' extinctions.

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In the argument, the author concludes that humans play no role in the extinction of large mammal species and should be some climate change, or environmental factor. The author drew a conclusion based on a study made by archeologists that if humans were the causing factor of the extinction of mammals, then there should have been supporting evidence in the archeological sites. However, while the assertions made by the author might ultimately prove valid, she must provide two pieces of evidence in order to substantiate her argument.

First of all, the author assumes that because there was no evidence of ‘significant contact’ between humans and mammals, homo sapiens would not have played a prominent role in its disappearance. For instance, there could be a wide range of illegal dealers scavenging these mammals as their flesh holds a great medicinal value which might be used in laboratories for testing purposes. Since the process of getting approval from the government to use animals for research purposes is time-consuming as well as an expensive affair, big lab research centers use hunters to capture mammals, therefore, there might not be overt evidence of contact. If the above example holds true, or some other factor that could provide evidence that humans play a contributing role in the disappearance of mammals, then the argument is not cogent.

Furthermore, the author assumes that a limited number of sites where archeological research was studied and where bones of fishes were found, were the only spots where hunters could have discarded remains of mammals. For example, poachers could have hunted down these animals at a different location, perhaps a place in closer proximity to the research site, or could also be an isolated area on the island. In addition, folks could have discarded it in the ocean where it could have decayed and settled as a new layer in the waterbed. If any of the scenarios is true, then the author’s argument lacks merit.

In conclusion, while it is possible that humans could not have been a factor causing the extinction of mammals, and perhaps could point to other potential reasons such as climate change, and deforestation, as it stands now, rests on unfounded assumptions that hinder its persuasiveness. Thus the author should provide the two pieces of evidence discussed above in order to enhance its credibility.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Expert Reply
Argument Essay
Assignment Score: 62.75
Writing quantity
1. You have written 388 words.

2. I count a total of 4 paragraphs.

3. You have written 13 sentences.

4. You have written 0 question.

Essay structure and content: 51%
Paragraph 1 - introduction: 58%

Opening:
In the argument, the author concludes that humans play no role in the extinction of large mammal species and should be some climate change, or environmental factor.

I was expecting to find a question mark at the end of the first sentence of your introduction. There wasn't one. Remember to start your essay with a question to engage your reader's attention. Try questions like these: Have you ever seen...? or Did you know that...? Your score for this feature = 0/100

I was unable to detect any errors in your first sentence. That's good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Context:
I checked your introduction for words and phrases that writers use to establish the importance of their topic. I was unable to find any matches. Establish the importance of your topic with one of these phrases: a vital factor in, the leading cause of, widely considered to be, set to become, undergoing a revolution, is responsible for. Your score for this feature = 0/100

You have chosen climate change as your topic, but your introduction only contains 4 climate-related words. Very good. Use more for a higher score. climate, fossil fuels, global warming, greenhouse gases, IPCC, PPM, CO2, GHGs. Your score for this feature = 90/100

Thesis:
However, while the assertions made by the author might ultimately prove valid, she must provide two pieces of evidence in order to substantiate her argument.

The last sentence of your introduction incorporates characteristics of a thesis statement that should have an impact on your reader. That's good. Remember that a good thesis statement should express a succinct debatable claim with supporting reasons that you can develop with evidence and reasons. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Paragraph 2 - first supporting argument: 64%

Topic sentence:
First of all, the author assumes that because there was no evidence of ‘significant contact’ between humans and mammals, homo sapiens would not have played a prominent role in its disappearance.

The first sentence of this paragraph has characteristics of a good topic sentence. That's good.

Nevertheless, remember this advice: an effective topic sentence in an argument essay should make one debatable claim that will catch your reader's attention and that the rest of the paragraph will elaborate on with reasons and examples. Your score for this feature = 100/100
Argue:
You have used multiple words commonly used in argumentation. That's excellent. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Evidence:
You have used a word commonly used when giving evidence. That's good. Use one or two more words and phrases for giving evidence to get a higher score. Some examples of words that you can use are as follows: according to, to quote from, tells us that, shows us that, referring to, argues that, stated, wrote, argued, discussed, expressed the concern that. Your score for this feature = 60/100

Cite sources:
You have not included an in-text citation, as far as I can tell. I was expecting to find a capitalized name (Walker) or year (2019) in parentheses in your first body paragraph. Scholars must use and cite information from reliable sources. Speak to your teacher or review the lesson in your textbook about how to cite sources within your paragraph. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Support:
You have used a word commonly used when providing support. That's good. Use one or two more support words and phrases for a higher score. Some examples of words that you can use are as follows: a case in point, an analogy, another way, as an example, as an illustration, consider, put another way. Your score for this feature = 60/100

Paragraph 3 - second supporting argument: 52%

Topic sentence:
Furthermore, the author assumes that a limited number of sites where archeological research was studied and where bones of fishes were found, were the only spots where hunters could have discarded remains of mammals.

The first sentence of this second body paragraph has characteristics of a strong topic sentence. That's good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Argue:
You have used multiple words commonly used in argumentation. That's excellent. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Evidence:
You have not used any words commonly used used when giving evidence. That's not good. Use one or two more words and phrases for giving evidence to get a higher score. Some examples of words that you can use are as follows: according to, to quote from, tells us that, shows us that, referring to, argues that, stated, wrote, argued, discussed, expressed the concern that. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Cite sources:
You have not included an in-text citation, as far as I can tell. I was expecting to find a capitalized name (Walker) or year (2019) in parentheses in your second body paragraph. Scholars must use and cite information from reliable sources. Speak to your teacher or review the lesson in your textbook about how to cite sources within your paragraph. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Support:
You have used a word commonly used when providing support. That's good. Use one or two more support words and phrases for a higher score. Some examples of words that you can use are as follows: a case in point, an analogy, another way, as an example, as an illustration, consider, put another way. Your score for this feature = 60/100

Paragraph 4 - counterargument: 28%

Topic sentence:
In conclusion, while it is possible that humans could not have been a factor causing the extinction of mammals, and perhaps could point to other potential reasons such as climate change, and deforestation, as it stands now, rests on unfounded assumptions that hinder its persuasiveness.

The first sentence of this paragraph has the characteristics of a counterargument. That's good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Counter argue:
You have not introduced an opposing view using a commonly used phrase for reporting counterarguments. Improve your score by using a phrase from among these examples: some people claim, some people say, some believe, others believe, people object to, try to refute, discount, reject, it is often argued that, the opposing view, the opposing side. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Concede:
You have not used any phrases for conceding a point to opposing side. Being able to acknowledge and concede that there is apparent merit in the opposing view, you show your reader that you are fair-minded and reasonable. Here are some phrases you can use to concede: granted, it is true that, while it is true that, naturally, indeed, to be sure, admittedly, certainly, of course, one cannot deny that. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Refute:
You have not used any words or phrases to refute the opposing argument. You must mount an effect rebuttal. Here are some phrases you can use in your refutation of the counterargument: that being said, that said, however, nonetheless, nevertheless, on the contrary, on the other hand, regardless, whereas, although, and yet, in contrast, despite, countervailing evidence suggests. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Cite sources:
You have not included a citation. That's not good. It is important to indicate your sources. Speak to your teacher or review the lesson in your textbook about citing sources to improve your score. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Vocabulary: 100%
Argument-related words: argument, assertions, because, concludes, conclusion, evidence, point, reasons, research, since, study, supporting, therefore, thus, true

Feedback: You have used many words related to argumentation. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Topic-related words: climate, climate change, deforestation, evidence, lab, research, species

Feedback: You have used many controversy-related words in your essay. That's very good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Works Cited Section: 0%
Language Accuracy: 100%
Number of errors: 2

Feedback: I was able to detect one or two errors in your writing. Sometimes the grammar checker will generate false alarms. Double-check that this is not the case. Anyway, an essay with few errors speaks well of your use of revision strategies. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Grammar Check Feedback
You wrote: ... assumes that a limited number of sites where archeological research was studied and ...

Feedback: "Where" is a question word. You probably wanted to use the plural conjugation of the verb "to be" like this: "sites were archeological".

Suggestion: sites were archeological

You wrote: ...mptions that hinder its persuasiveness. Thus the author should provide the two piece...

Feedback: Did you forget a comma after a conjunctive/linking adverb?

Suggestion: Thus,
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Expert Reply
I would expend more the essay and avoid terms , using a better standard English

folks could have discarded

folks, I am not sure is the proper usage
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I appreciate your detailed feedback. I do have a few questions on this:

1. "Remember to start your essay with a question to engage your reader's attention" are we allowed to ask questions in an argumentative essay? And does it impact the score?
2. Cite sources: According to the structure I follow, they ask us not to pull any real-life facts as we do in an issue argument.

Carcass wrote:
Argument Essay
Assignment Score: 62.75
Writing quantity
1. You have written 388 words.

2. I count a total of 4 paragraphs.

3. You have written 13 sentences.

4. You have written 0 question.

Essay structure and content: 51%
Paragraph 1 - introduction: 58%

Opening:
In the argument, the author concludes that humans play no role in the extinction of large mammal species and should be some climate change, or environmental factor.

I was expecting to find a question mark at the end of the first sentence of your introduction. There wasn't one. Remember to start your essay with a question to engage your reader's attention. Try questions like these: Have you ever seen...? or Did you know that...? Your score for this feature = 0/100

I was unable to detect any errors in your first sentence. That's good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Context:
I checked your introduction for words and phrases that writers use to establish the importance of their topic. I was unable to find any matches. Establish the importance of your topic with one of these phrases: a vital factor in, the leading cause of, widely considered to be, set to become, undergoing a revolution, is responsible for. Your score for this feature = 0/100

You have chosen climate change as your topic, but your introduction only contains 4 climate-related words. Very good. Use more for a higher score. climate, fossil fuels, global warming, greenhouse gases, IPCC, PPM, CO2, GHGs. Your score for this feature = 90/100

Thesis:
However, while the assertions made by the author might ultimately prove valid, she must provide two pieces of evidence in order to substantiate her argument.

The last sentence of your introduction incorporates characteristics of a thesis statement that should have an impact on your reader. That's good. Remember that a good thesis statement should express a succinct debatable claim with supporting reasons that you can develop with evidence and reasons. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Paragraph 2 - first supporting argument: 64%

Topic sentence:
First of all, the author assumes that because there was no evidence of ‘significant contact’ between humans and mammals, homo sapiens would not have played a prominent role in its disappearance.

The first sentence of this paragraph has characteristics of a good topic sentence. That's good.

Nevertheless, remember this advice: an effective topic sentence in an argument essay should make one debatable claim that will catch your reader's attention and that the rest of the paragraph will elaborate on with reasons and examples. Your score for this feature = 100/100
Argue:

Evidence:
You have used a word commonly used when giving evidence. That's good. Use one or two more words and phrases for giving evidence to get a higher score. Some examples of words that you can use are as follows: according to, to quote from, tells us that, shows us that, referring to, argues that, stated, wrote, argued, discussed, expressed the concern that. Your score for this feature = 60/100

Cite sources:
You have not included an in-text citation, as far as I can tell. I was expecting to find a capitalized name (Walker) or year (2019) in parentheses in your first body paragraph. Scholars must use and cite information from reliable sources. Speak to your teacher or review the lesson in your textbook about how to cite sources within your paragraph. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Support:

Paragraph 3 - second supporting argument: 52%

Topic sentence:
Furthermore, the author assumes that a limited number of sites where archeological research was studied and where bones of fishes were found, were the only spots where hunters could have discarded remains of mammals.

The first sentence of this second body paragraph has characteristics of a strong topic sentence. That's good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Argue:

Evidence:
You have not used any words commonly used used when giving evidence. That's not good. Use one or two more words and phrases for giving evidence to get a higher score. Some examples of words that you can use are as follows: according to, to quote from, tells us that, shows us that, referring to, argues that, stated, wrote, argued, discussed, expressed the concern that. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Cite sources:
You have not included an in-text citation, as far as I can tell. I was expecting to find a capitalized name (Walker) or year (2019) in parentheses in your second body paragraph. Scholars must use and cite information from reliable sources. Speak to your teacher or review the lesson in your textbook about how to cite sources within your paragraph. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Support:

Paragraph 4 - counterargument: 28%

Topic sentence:
In conclusion, while it is possible that humans could not have been a factor causing the extinction of mammals, and perhaps could point to other potential reasons such as climate change, and deforestation, as it stands now, rests on unfounded assumptions that hinder its persuasiveness.

The first sentence of this paragraph has the characteristics of a counterargument. That's good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Counter argue:
You have not introduced an opposing view using a commonly used phrase for reporting counterarguments. Improve your score by using a phrase from among these examples: some people claim, some people say, some believe, others believe, people object to, try to refute, discount, reject, it is often argued that, the opposing view, the opposing side. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Concede:
You have not used any phrases for conceding a point to opposing side. Being able to acknowledge and concede that there is apparent merit in the opposing view, you show your reader that you are fair-minded and reasonable. Here are some phrases you can use to concede: granted, it is true that, while it is true that, naturally, indeed, to be sure, admittedly, certainly, of course, one cannot deny that. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Refute:
You have not used any words or phrases to refute the opposing argument. You must mount an effect rebuttal. Here are some phrases you can use in your refutation of the counterargument: that being said, that said, however, nonetheless, nevertheless, on the contrary, on the other hand, regardless, whereas, although, and yet, in contrast, despite, countervailing evidence suggests. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Cite sources:
You have not included a citation. That's not good. It is important to indicate your sources. Speak to your teacher or review the lesson in your textbook about citing sources to improve your score. Your score for this feature = 0/100

Vocabulary: 100%
Argument-related words: argument, assertions, because, concludes, conclusion, evidence, point, reasons, research, since, study, supporting, therefore, thus, true

Feedback: You have used many words related to argumentation. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Topic-related words: climate, climate change, deforestation, evidence, lab, research, species

Feedback: You have used many controversy-related words in your essay. That's very good. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Works Cited Section: 0%
Language Accuracy: 100%
Number of errors: 2

Feedback: I was able to detect one or two errors in your writing. Sometimes the grammar checker will generate false alarms. Double-check that this is not the case. Anyway, an essay with few errors speaks well of your use of revision strategies. Your score for this feature = 100/100

Grammar Check Feedback
You wrote: ... assumes that a limited number of sites where archeological research was studied and ...

Feedback: "Where" is a question word. You probably wanted to use the plural conjugation of the verb "to be" like this: "sites were archeological".

Suggestion: sites were archeological

You wrote: ...mptions that hinder its persuasiveness. Thus the author should provide the two piece...

Feedback: Did you forget a comma after a conjunctive/linking adverb?

Suggestion: Thus,
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts
Retired Moderator
30 posts