Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:26

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [3]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [0]
Send PM
Re: The American people have an incorrect understanding of what it means [#permalink]
Expert Reply
QUESTION 1

Choice (A) is supported by the characterization of the argument that America often goes to war for an abstract ideal as refreshingly candid.Choice (B) is supported by the inclusion of democratization of societies in the list of such ideals, as well as by the examples of the Spanish-American War and World War I. Choice (C) is supported by the use of the phrase wealth of examples to describe the work.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33105 [0]
Send PM
Re: The American people have an incorrect understanding of what it means [#permalink]
Expert Reply
QUESTION 2

The topic of the passage is Pickett’s interpretation of American military history. In the second paragraph, the author states that while Pickett’s work provides a refreshingly candid argument of why America goes to war, he overstates the case when he argues that these abstract causes typically lead to a war hysteria in which American leadership can no longer enforce any measured policies. In other words, while the author believes that some of the ideas Pickett presents are correct, the author also notes that Pickett’s conclusions cannot be fully supported.The best answer is therefore choice (D). All the other answers are outside the scope of the passage. Additionally, choices (B) and (E) are extreme.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
QUESTION 1

Choice (A) is supported by the characterization of the argument that America often goes to war for an abstract ideal as refreshingly candid.Choice (B) is supported by the inclusion of democratization of societies in the list of such ideals, as well as by the examples of the Spanish-American War and World War I. Choice (C) is supported by the use of the phrase wealth of examples to describe the work.

For choice (C), isn't the pool of examples quite small to be considered a "large number of examples"?
From what I can construe, "democratization of societies, world peace, liberty, or freedom" don't align to a concrete sense as an example, but more of an ideological abstraction.
The only examples I can find are the "Spanish-American War" and "World War I", which only sum up to 2.

So, shouldn't the choice (C) be wrong?
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts