Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Given Kudos: 25177
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [0]
Send PM
Re: Shorter GRE AWA - All You Need to Know to Score 6 on the Issue Essay [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ShineDD wrote:
I needed two inputs @Carcass.
Can you suggest a few books to improve writing and make it seem more native? I am reading American Essays and New Yorker articles almost daily, but I think my flow is hindered by the lack of finesse in writing ornamental English.
Can we use quotes in the conclusion section? Is that frowned upon?

I loved the post and honestly, it is one of the most beneficial AWA pieces written on the web.

Thank you!

In the conclusion of both just restate the first paragraph saying: therefore the conclusion is faltered for these reasons or is not cogent blah blah stuff like that

For improvement see my link for FREE, regular update, upper-class reading

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-impro ... 14903.html

Regards

PS: thank you I appreciate a lot
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Re: Shorter GRE AWA - All You Need to Know to Score 6 on the Issue Essay [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The post has been updated. Thank you Carcass for putting it together!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
DONE DONE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GRE 1: Q164 V160
Send PM
Good day all!

Please with the advent of AI, can we use ChatGPT and/or Google Bard to evaluate GRE Essays to a fair level of accuracy?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am not sure if chatGPT is useful to evaluate something rather than WRITE something being it a code to have an output essentially
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GRE 1: Q164 V160
Send PM
Thanks for your prompt reply. I used it a couple of times and asked it to explain the scores to me.

I also asked it to explain the reasons for the score and it did, I also used it's explanations and paraphrasing to write better. I also asked it to explain my paragraphs one by one and it did that as well. Sometimes explain why it removed, added or edited content in the paraphrased version. Finally, I ask it to generate its own essay based on the prompt and I use all of the information to improve my subsequent writing.

Eventually, I started getting a consistent 6 and I want to know if it is something that you can try and give us your opinion on. I'd like to know if I am using a useful tool for developing my skills in AWA.

Originally posted by Ola1100 on 06 Apr 2023, 00:15.
Last edited by Ola1100 on 06 Apr 2023, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Interesting

I never gave a try. However, everything is useful to improve is welcomed :)

I also have this that can back in handy

https://virtualwritingtutor.com/

copy and paste and then use the tab check score. Quite useful
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
UPDATED Shorter GRE AWA - All You Need to Know to Score 6 on the Issue Essay
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Hello.

Could somebody explain me what is outline?

I'd like to know how to do it and why make a sketch before to write?

Also I'd like to know strategies to do the review (polish).

Thanks in advance!

Rodrigo
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
In the first post you have , essentially, a template to address a good AWA.

Polish means you have to re-read it and avoid grammar mistakes or punctuation. Moreover, the phrases you use for the AWA should be easy to understand and follow. Not convoluted sentences. This sis the secret
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Shorter GRE AWA - All You Need to Know to Score 6 on the Issue Essay [#permalink]
Hello!

I am struggling to write an essay in 30 minutes. I could notice where do I spend most time:
* sometimes I think the topic is just one sentence and it's so short, then I have difficulty brainstorming it, thinking of the pros and cons;
* also I have a habit (maybe a bad one) of looking for a different word that I've already written. Then I looked in Thesaurus. Is it better to look at those words in the end when I'm searching for misspellings and wrong grammar?

Please, could you give me some tips?

Thanks in advance!
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts