Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 04:14 It is currently 04 May 2024, 04:14

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33218 [2]
Given Kudos: 25190
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33218 [1]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33218 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The idea of the brain as an information processor—a machine manipulati [#permalink]
In question #1 I chose C, but for me B looks good too. The only reason I chose C rather than B was that the passage spent a lot of time refuting the Searle's argument and not so much time talking about the Brain's function itself (processing info). Is sound this reasoning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: The idea of the brain as an information processor—a machine manipulati [#permalink]
Thanks! Yeah, the shortcut to know the main topic for me is the "hammer", as GregMat call it. Some words like 'But', 'However', etc. I agree with what did you say about the "feeling" rather than the logic. This is likely the problem.

Posted from my mobile device
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33218 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
cpequeno93 wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, the shortcut to know the main topic for me is the "hammer", as GregMat call it. Some words like 'But', 'However', etc. I agree with what did you say about the "feeling" rather than the logic. This is likely the problem.

Please read the link suggested. Greg is a great tutor. However, the key words work to some extent. It is all about the passage as a whole.

Think for instance the medium or short passages - they do not have a clear structure, they do not have all the time the contrast or shift words.....then what ??

You must understand what you read. That is the simple yet more powerful tool.

Regards
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply

Replying to the question in 48 Hours

Gain 20 Kudos & Get FREE Access to GRE Prep Club TESTS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The idea of the brain as an information processora machine manipulati [#permalink]
For question 5, where in the passage does the author agree that computers operate by following “algorithms “?

Verbal Expert
Send PM
Re: The idea of the brain as an information processora machine manipulati [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Werner wrote:
For question 5, where in the passage does the author agree that computers operate by following “algorithms “?

Question #5 OE

Quote:
An inference requires going beyond the material explicitly stated in the passage to the author’s ideas that underlie that material. The author and Searle take opposite points of view on the brain as information processor. Their area of agreement is narrow. However, they do both agree that computers work by following algorithms.

A Correct. The first paragraph explains that Searle dismisses computers because they simply follow algorithms; while the author disagrees with Searle on virtually every other point, no disagreement is voiced here.
B The first paragraph shows this to be Searle’s position, but not the author’s.
C The first paragraph shows this to be Searle’s position, but not the author’s.
D The second paragraph explains Searle’s rejection of this position.
E The final paragraph establishes this as the author’s position, but not Searle’s.
The correct answer is A.

This is an official GMAT passage

Ask if something is still unclear

regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The idea of the brain as an information processora machine manipulati [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
Werner wrote:

Question #5 OE

Quote:
An inference requires going beyond the material explicitly stated in the passage to the author’s ideas that underlie that material. The author and Searle take opposite points of view on the brain as information processor. Their area of agreement is narrow. However, they do both agree that computers work by following algorithms.

A Correct. The first paragraph explains that Searle dismisses computers because they simply follow algorithms; while the author disagrees with Searle on virtually every other point, no disagreement is voiced here.
B The first paragraph shows this to be Searle’s position, but not the author’s.
C The first paragraph shows this to be Searle’s position, but not the author’s.
D The second paragraph explains Searle’s rejection of this position.
E The final paragraph establishes this as the author’s position, but not Searle’s.
The correct answer is A.

This is an official GMAT passage

Ask if something is still unclear

regards

Thanks

I am not seeing any part of the passage touch upon an agreement between Searle and tge author of the passage that computers work by following algorithms. While Searle and the author don’t disagree on this point (which is actually a universally established fact I.e. no one will actually disagree that computers use algorithms)…nothing in the passage (ironically- “information” that is provided) compels me to infer that the author agrees with Searle on this point.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1032 posts