Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:31

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [19]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [14]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The belief that art originates in intuitive [#permalink]
Thanks for this information. It useful
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
This is an amazing passage. Really. This is art at RC.

:)

It really is hard to decipher the meaning of the passage. I even tried to re-read several times but did not get 100% of it. If you have sometimes, can you please summarize it in plain English?

I summarized how I understood as follows:

-Intuitive, rather than rational faculties, worked out well in the past (historically)
-BC was known as the founder of new aesthetic (I suspected new asthetic means rational faculties [I started to lose comprehension here])
-Despite being known for new aesthetic, BC actually expressed very old idea
-Prior to the Romantics, the frenzy of inspiration [what does this mean, how does it connect to abovementioned, I started to lose comprehension again here] is regarded as very important to art, but philosophers affirmed it was controlled by intellectual power (or rational faculties)
-Then passage went on to say on what the thought of philosophers was supported, giving examples of Gothic cathedrals & stained windows
-When this bracing element of craftsmanship ceased to dominate [I can't understand what was the bracing element here, losing comprehension again], new skills need to be acquired
-Then the final sentence totally killed my comprehension, "Such were linear perspective and anatomy," what did such refer to in this passage, what does linear perspective and anatomy even mean?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
In terms of the current GRE how difficult would this passage be considered? I've been working through the RCs and this is by far the most difficult passage that I've done till now. Even though I got most of the passage the questions completely stumped me and I got only 1 out of 4 correct!
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
According to the ETS's scale it is medium , NOT so hard.

Regards
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Send PM
The belief that art originates in intuitive [#permalink]
mind wrote:
Carcass wrote:

It really is hard to decipher the meaning of the passage. I even tried to re-read several times but did not get 100% of it. If you have sometimes, can you please summarize it in plain English?

Summary of the Passage:

Art originates in intuition and this is an old idea re-told by Benedetto Croce. But philosophers felt that this intuition must be controlled by intellectual power. This idea was supported by technical necessities such as building cathedrals which require intellectual power. Thus this element of craftsmanship involved in building cathedrals supported the idea that intellectual power was necessary. When this craftsmanship no longer influenced artist's outlook, newer elements like linear perspective and anatomy had to be adopted to justify intellectual power.

OR

Art = Intuition + Intellectual Power
Intellectual Power supported, maintained and justified by the requirements of building large cathedrals.
When no longer building large cathedrals, artists turned to linear perspective and anatomy to justify intellectual power
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Send PM
mind wrote:
Carcass wrote:

I summarized how I understood as follows:

-Intuitive, rather than rational faculties, worked out well in the past (historically)
-BC was known as the founder of new aesthetic (I suspected new asthetic means rational faculties [I started to lose comprehension here])
new aesthetic is neither related to intuition nor rational faculties. It is just a fact that is mentioned. An unrelated fact meant to confuse you.

-Despite being known for new aesthetic, BC actually expressed very old idea
-Prior to the Romantics, the frenzy of inspiration [what does this mean, how does it connect to abovementioned, I started to lose comprehension again here]
frenzy of inspiration is the same as intuition.
is regarded as very important to art, but philosophers affirmed it was controlled by intellectual power (or rational faculties) correct

-Then passage went on to say on what the thought of philosophers was supported, giving examples of Gothic cathedrals & stained windows correct
-When this bracing element of craftsmanship ceased to dominate [I can't understand what was the bracing element here, losing comprehension again],
bracing element = supporting element, in this context the supporting element of craftsmanship which supports intellectual power.

new skills need to be acquired this is your assumption and the passage does not say this. It is wrong.

-Then the final sentence totally killed my comprehension, "Such were linear perspective and anatomy," what did such refer to in this passage, what does linear perspective and anatomy even mean?
when technical skills needed to build cathedrals no longer supported the intellectual power, it was supported by linear perspective and anatomy. Linear perspective and anatomy became the bracing elements.

such = new technical elements which were adopted maintain the intellectual element
linear perspective is clearly an art term. Anatomy refers to human anatomy or anatomy of anything, which provided the harmonious order for the artists. Both are intellectual elements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Lovely passage, way better than all the science based ones that I keep on running into haha.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
The author mentions "linear perspective and
anatomy" in the last sentence in order to do
which of the following?
why not b is right
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
I do hope schools will discard GRE completely especially for STEM fields. I fail to see how interpreting this passage will help one in grad school especially for research....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
debashisdtt170 wrote:
The author mentions "linear perspective and
anatomy" in the last sentence in order to do
which of the following?
why not b is right

The author mentions “linear perspective and anatomy” in the last sentence in order to do which of the following?

(B)Indicate his disagreement with Croce’s theory of the origins of art
(C)Support his point that rational order of some kind has often seemed to discipline artistic inspiration

C is correct because if you observe the sentences preceding it, they talk about how the law and intellectual elements
came to dominate the inspiration.
B is incorrect because passage has no evidence anywhere that autor disagrees wih Croce's theory. In fact, after introducing
Croce's ideas, passage talks about how exactly opposite of that idea happened.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
8 minutes 3/4

Tough passage tough questions

Got 3rd wrong , chose A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THE SECOND QUESTION..TO MY UNDERSTANDING OPTION A MUST BE THE ANSWER.....HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW GOTHIC ART IS PRE ROMANTIC..KINDLY EXPLAIN
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
The belief that art originates in intuitive [#permalink]
A little complex para. Practising similar passage and note making can help in improving. Please find my short notes that help me answer the question .. unfortunately it took me good amount of time.

1. art = intuitive(inspiration) as per Croce. Seems like an old idea already express by Romantics.
2. But - philosophers art = controlled by law + intellectual power. this is technical necessities.
3. Further , as per philosophers laws and intellect imp to build - Gothic cathedrals , windows of Chartres
4. But this idea of philosophers are dominating artists outlook\inspirations , and so new tech. elem. need to be adopted.

Please correct me if my understanding was wrong.

Thanks!
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Send PM
LearnerJS wrote:
A little complex para. Practising similar passage and note making can help in improving. Please find my short notes that help me answer the question .. unfortunately it took me good amount of time.

1. art = intuitive(inspiration) as per Croce. Seems like an old idea already express by Romantics.
2. But - philosophers art = controlled by law + intellectual power. this is technical necessities.
3. Further , as per philosophers laws and intellect imp to build - Gothic cathedrals , windows of Chartres
4. But this idea of philosophers are dominating artists outlook\inspirations , and so new tech. elem. need to be adopted.

Please correct me if my understanding was wrong.

Thanks!

Regarding point 4, new tech elements (linear perspective and anatomy) had to be adopted because craftmanship which justified intellectual power ceased to dominate artist's outlook, therefore, something else was need to justify intellectual power. That something else was linear perspective and anatomy.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts