Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 01:39 It is currently 04 May 2024, 01:39

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10620 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33217 [0]
Given Kudos: 25190
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: GRE Vocabulary [#permalink]
:roll: beneficial
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Great post
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
GRE 1: Q168 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here's a free link to SAT Vocab Capacity, which is intended for the SAT but also works for the GRE (950 words with mnemonics):

https://www.drivecms.com/uploads/mcelroytutoring.com/SATVocabCapacitymasterfilePDF(k).pdf

-Brian
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33217 [0]
Given Kudos: 25190
Send PM
Expert Reply
Please give me the link.

I will add it in the first post.

Thank you so much.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Helpful post with well sorted and valuable list of resources. To help the students, I want to add to this list that a new resource that uses context-based learning technique to effectively improve vocabulary and efficiently master 1200 of the most frequent GRE words has recently entered the market and is gaining popularity among students. The book is titled, "It’s all about the decisions we make". You can improve your memory and recall of a ton of GRE words by simply reading that vocabulary building novel. Though it is listed for a price on Amazon (but far less than other GRE books), it is FREE to read in Kindle Unlimited. I suggest everyone to at least check out the sample of the book on Kindle app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi, buddy how it's going? hopefully, everyone will be fine. Recently I used one vocabulary app for my GRE verbal part (preparation) in the play store it was really good ones for beginners Between that app name is "English vocabulary builder " it was offers by a galvanize test prep.if anybody wanna start your gre verbal part means i will strongly suggest you use this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cabbuilder
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
"What is GRE exam? What are the topics asked in the exam? How do you prepare for it?
GRE is an evaluation of your quantitative and verbal ability which can get you in universities across globe for MS, MIS OR MBA. Each section comes with two tests of 20 questions each and one trial section with 20 questions which can be verbal or quant but this does not count towards your score. There is one analytical writing part which require you to write two essays in 30-30 minutes over one issue and argument topic.Since this question also ask about complete preparation plan, my answer can be a bit longer..I will try to keep it concise as well as precise!
Let us divide the preparation according to three sections and try to cover all of them in 3-4 months -
1.Quantitative - If you are good with the basic concepts of mathematics, this section can help you boost up your score with at least 5-8 marks easily. But let us assume you still have to improve you concepts. I would suggest, refer to quantitative aptitude by R.S. Agarwal. Read and understand first two pages of every chapter which contains theory part and short tricks. After getting a grasp over concepts practice questions from Kaplan's quantitative material. Do at least a chapter everyday. If you are not able to score well in quantitative section, then refer to my answer Aman Sharma's answer to How can I improve GRE quant score 143 to 160? That can help.
2.AWA - This section requires a lot of reading and writing practice. Start reading articles from websites, newspaper and try to write a paragraph about what you have read and what did you understand. If you don't have time to proceed this way, then there is a short cut to get at least 3.5 in AWA (which I did). Find answers for issues and arguments topics on google and categorize the endless pool into different sections like education, technology, science, politics, government, society, culture, religion etc. Once you have categorized them read 4-5 answers for every section and try to remember examples that you have read. They will surely fit in any question that might appear in your GRE. But do practice writing once or twice in a week because you should be in a habit of bringing out the best in 30 minutes!
3.Verbal - As it appears to most of us, the most tough section in GRE. But you can get a decent score if preparation is well planned. Have a mind set that you have to learn at least 1000-1500 words before you appear for GRE. You don't have to learn them all at once, but around 30 words everyday. Now let us start with book Barrens 333. Learn all 333 words perfectly. Once you are done with learning these words start practicing for questions. You have to attempt 20 questions of each type i.e. Sentence Equivalence, Text Completion and Reading Comprehension everyday. Refer to Princeton 1014 for SE and TC & Manhattan 5lb for RC. If you complete these books go for Kaplan. Level of Kaplan is slightly more than what actually comes in GRE. Along with these questions keep learning new words and revising old ones. Remember learning new is not that important as remembering old ones. Also do not learn random words, search online for 1000 high frequency words and learn them first.
GRE verbal preparation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cabbuilder
Gre practice test: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ce%3DForum
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts