Last visit was: 05 Jul 2024, 00:35 It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 00:35

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33937 [0]
Given Kudos: 25453
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Re: GRE Practice test Verbal question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Now, there is not one way to tackle a question but several strategies, it depends on the complexity of the sentences, the length of the sentences and as result of the question as a whole, if the two blanks are in the same sentence or in two separate ones (for instance) and so forth.

Also look for clues. If nothing work for, then go for trial and errors strategy. This is basically, in a nutcìshell, what you should try to do in multiple blank questions. Try different approaches.

This is a tough one but not so tough indeed. Break into chunks. One of the best technique is to translate in few words, sentence by sentence, grasping the essence of the meaning.

1) The question of (i) _________ in photography has lately become nontrivial.

The matter of ______ in the field of photography is becoming important, not dull. That is the meaning. Now, among the 3 words, I do not have a real clue what could be wrong or right. Move on. let see if the next sentence brings into the picture something that could help me in a more consistent way.

2) Prices for vintage prints (those made by a photographer soon after he or she made the negative) so drastically (ii) _________ in the 1990s that one of those photographs might fetch a hundred times as much as a nonvintage print of the same image.

here we go. This phrase has a lotttttt of information to analyze. The price of vintage pieces (filler added to make more clear the concept of vintage) so drastically WHAT ?? that in 1990 a photographer could make ten (or hundred) times (because of the word price at the beginning ) $ respect the non-vintage photos.

So the key concept here is the price, money. As such, suddenly, for the first blank in my mind jumps the fact that style is not possible as word and neither influence. We do not have any evidence to support choosing these two words. It must be a forgery or a faking image.

From this, I also do know that considering the forgery in the first blank and the price suggested in the second sentence AND the fact that a photographer could gain hundred times as much as .........the prices must be ballooned or inflated I.E the prices skyrocketed.

3) Before or after someone would take advantage of this blurry scenario (this is what I meant in the previous post - we do not know if an image is a forgery or a real vintage one - in that sense) to sell a vintage photo and gain a lot of money. As it turns out, the image could be a fake. Nonetheless, I earn a bunch of money.

Now, the difference in prices CANNOT be ambiguous but a difference in prices leads us to a discrepancy. It refers to the large difference in prices between vintage and NON -vintage photographs.

Moreover, ambiguity means not for sure. Therefore, it is not supported at all by the sentences or by the entire stimulus.

Hope this help.

Regards
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Forum Moderator
16 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1036 posts