Last visit was: 02 Jul 2024, 21:32 It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 21:32

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1982 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
GRE 1: Q161 V163
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10713 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Avoiding the Kisses of Death in the Grad School Application [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Roy5522 wrote:
Thanks for the post. I got a doubt that "Is online Letter of Recommendation methodology being implemented in US Universities??"

Sometimes you asked to fill in your supervisor's email address and then college sends a mail to the supervisor to upload your letter of recommendation. Sometimes you are asked to send the same in a sealed envelope on your college letterhead. It varies from university to university but one thing is consistent you need to ask your supervisor explicitly before naming him as your recommender.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
appreciate these tips! thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
I am worried that my recommenders are going to write mediocre letters for me. What can I do about this? I really want to stand out!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
• Avoid references to your mental health. Such statements could create the impression you may be unable to function as a successful
graduate student.

Even in a scenario where mental health was a reason for poor academic performance previously, any reference should be avoided?
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
170896 wrote:
I am worried that my recommenders are going to write mediocre letters for me. What can I do about this? I really want to stand out!

The best option here is to coach them - provide materials, examples, give them ideas what they should write about and explain what your goals are. Don't lecture them but perhaps ask them out for a lunch or a coffee and talk about your application, your long-term goals, and ask for their input. Your recommenders may not see some things or realize some strengths/weaknesses you have. Some may feel you won't make it anyway and you are wasting their time (this is a bit of an extreme situation) but still. You want to to get their opinion and see what they think so you know if you need to adjust it or perhaps change your recommender completely (again extreme case but it happens in case they start asking if you should really be doing Finance and that you would be better off as a Marketing manager - either you or they misjudged the situation).

In your meeting, you want to emphasize that it is very realistic for you to go to the school/program and that you are determined. This is very important. You do not want to come off undecided. Writing recommendations is hard work and takes one's valuable time. If you want people do a good job, you want them certain that their work is valuable and will contribute to a great cause.

Keep in mind that usually there is a lower standard to LOR's than to essays. AdCom realizes that your recommenders have other things to do and they will not be spending hours and days proofing their work and most often it will be just a bit above the email grade, submitted within the last week.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Me.
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
More precise location: Amsterdam
Send PM
I would summarize:
- Avoid anything/much of the negative things (even if you trying to use them as a "strength")
- Trouble with exam results
- Know the program well. Don't use generalized templates and cliches.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
If they ask us to write one on our own then what do we do
Intern
Intern
I think this a good information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Letters of Rec are ridiculous. Forcing applicants to beg others for things doesnt make one a better student. It takes the application out of the hands of the applicant. not sure whose stupid idea this was but it needs to go away.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
chaoban wrote:
Letters of Rec are ridiculous. Forcing applicants to beg others for things doesnt make one a better student. It takes the application out of the hands of the applicant. not sure whose stupid idea this was but it needs to go away.

I wonder what happened to my original post that I made on this topic...hmm. The person who deleted it is very lucky that I don't live near him because I do NOT take kindly to having my speech suppressed in ANY form.

But in any case, as a response to the LOR comment above, I agree that LORs are the most ridiculous concept ever to include in admissions applications or job applications too, for that matter. Somebody can write glowing letters for you, you get an acceptance letter or job offer, then when the person is in like flint, he/she can totally go postal. You have absolutely no idea how the person will react on the job or at school based on a recommendation letter. All it does is help build trust in a person (keyword: HELP), which may or may not be a prudent thing to do. Reading rec letters and forming judgments about them is a rather large gamble.

In my case, bribery often helps secure pretty good LORs. I always like to give my recommenders a little gift for writing them. Also, I have actually written up the letters myself and had them sign them. How do you like that one? I told them exactly what to write, they typed it out, and affixed their signature. Easy as that. It's the best way to approach LORs in my opinion, especially since the recommenders don't have to be bothered with thinking and typing up a letter for you. Works like a charm!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
That is very helpful. Will think twice before asking a person to be the one to write the recommendation letter...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
That was extremely helpful! You don't find this kind of information easily around the internet. Thank you
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts