Last visit was: 01 Jul 2024, 00:26 It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 00:26

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: AGSM '18
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10710 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: So frustrated - what should I do? [#permalink]
I think you should re-take the GRE because with some effort you can easily score above 160 in Quant. For MBA admissions, they give a lot of weight to the quant score. Also, I would suggest you to study for the verbal scetion this time. You have managed a 160 in verbal without studying. If you study a bit, you can easily score around 165, which will give a big boost to your overall score. As per my knowledge, most B-schools use a conversion chart to convert GRE scores to a GMAT score. If your GRE score converts to a 700 GMAT, you have a very good chance of getting into the schools that you mentioned.

I am a non-native English speaker and despite studying for over a month, I am managing only 158 in verbal. Was the real test difficult compared to the practice tests that you gave?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your advice, viola. I've rebooked my test for three weeks' time.

Regarding the verbal section, it was about the same difficulty I'd say. Saying that, I did score under what I was expecting, but I'd put this down to other factors, rather than the difficulty of the test.

The issue I had was that my exam was at 7:30 in the morning and I had only managed to get three hours sleep - likely due to nerves. If you're anything like me, I'd advise taking the test at a reasonable hour. I've rescheduled mine for midday so that I can get a good sleep the night before.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great to hear that you have already re-scheduled. Which all and how many practice tests you took before the real GRE? I am taking the GRE on 14th Sept. I agree with you, a good night's sleep is very much important before the exam. My GRE is scheduled at 1 PM. How was the Quant section on the real GRE compared to the practice tests?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
viola wrote:
Great to hear that you have already re-scheduled. Which all and how many practice tests you took before the real GRE? I am taking the GRE on 14th Sept. I agree with you, a good night's sleep is very much important before the exam. My GRE is scheduled at 1 PM. How was the Quant section on the real GRE compared to the practice tests?

I took around 6 practice tests before the GRE, but I only do timed quant sections, so I wasn't prepared for stamina that the full 5 hour exam requires.

I found the maths on the actual test much harder, but this could have just been my state of mind, which wasn't good.

To give an example, I took a timed practice quant test (PowerTest) the night before and got 164. A full eight points above what I got on test day...

I've also been using Manhattan's practice tests.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Taking full length tests along with the AWA is very important. Even I am facing issues with mental stamina.I have been taking only timed verbal tests. I would suggest you not to take much stress. Your current score is still good enough and I am pretty sure you will score higher than this in your re-take.You just need a 4 point score improvement. Most universities consider 320 a good enough score. I am doing Quant only from the Manhattan books and the 5 lbs book. Do you think that will be sufficient? I am yet to take a full length mock test but Magoosh predicts a 156-160 quant score based on practice question results. I am also planning for an MBA. That's why I need at least 160 on Quant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
just study more and take the test again... you gotta learn how to deal with the pressure of a 4hour test also
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
38 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
10 posts
Verbal Expert
29013 posts