Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:25

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [0]
Given Kudos: 25177
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
When the same parameters and quantitative theory are used to [#permalink]
Sorry, I should have mentioned question no. specifically. It's the question no. 3.

3. In discussing insect and vertebrate societies, the author suggests which of the following?

Regards,
arorni
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Hey arorni

I think you misunderstood the context of the sentence.

I have been increasingly impressed with the functional similarities between insect and vertebrate societies and less so with the structural differences that seem, at first glance, to constitute such an immense gulf between them.

The author indeed consider that the structural difference is an immense gulf, but he is more impressed with the similarities.
You can see my explanation Here

arorni wrote:
Hi Carcass,

I really liked your explanation. Can you please help me to understand that answer choice?

(E) There are significant structural differences between insect and vertebrate societies.

So, as per this choice, there are significant structural differences between insect and vertebrate societies. But as per the passage, there are structural differences but those structural differences are not so significant as they seemed to be at the first glace.

I have been increasingly impressed with the functional similarities between insect and vertebrate societies and less so with the structural differences that seem, at first glance, to constitute such an immense gulf between them.

How can I select the answer choice E, when the author says that they are not that significant?

Regards,
arorni
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: When the same parameters and quantitative theory are used to [#permalink]
got it..thanks. you are right, I didn't understand the context properly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Carcass Please check for que 3 , the Reasoning for elimination of option choice is correct or not ?

1st of all the question asked about insect and vertebrate and all option choices from A to D related to termite colonies and troops of rhesus macaques.
thus A to D can be eliminated

OR

Option A : A distinguishing characteristic of most insect and vertebrate societies is a well-marked division of labor. >> this talk about distinguishing characteristic whereas it is a similarity thus 180 degree answer choice so out

Option B : The caste structure of insect societies is similar to that of vertebrate societies >> both have caste status but we cant say both have similar one so out

Option C : Most insect and vertebrate societies form cooperative groups in order to occupy territory >> "occupy territory" not infer from the passage so out

option D : The means of communication among members of insect societies is similar to that among members of vertebrate societies >> both have communication system but they both communicate in same way or same means we dont so out

Option E : There are significant structural differences between insect and vertebrate societies. >> This well inferred from the passage as it given for all insect and vertebrate in line "I have been increasingly impressed with the functional similarities between insect and vertebrate societies and less so with the structural differences that seem, at first glance, to constitute such an immense gulf between them." so correct
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Given Kudos: 25177
Send PM
Re: When the same parameters and quantitative theory are used to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It is correct

However there is also a shortcut in the second sentence of the passage

Can this ever really happen? As my own studies have advanced, I have been increasingly impressed with the functional similarities between insect and vertebrate societies and less so with the structural differences that seem, at first glance, to constitute such an immense gulf between them.

Less or not we can find them nonetheless

I hope this helps
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts