Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:35

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, weā€™ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [4]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: While more (i)____________ professors continue to insist that video ga [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
Sometimes the students focus on too much on clues forgetting to have the big pictures.

Clues and shifts are an important tool. However it is more important to have the meaning of the sentence.

What we do have here :

On one hand we have professors who think X and professors who think U

But both are academics. Therefore erudite is off because regardless what they say BOTH have culture, knowledge....and so forth. They are professors, and as such, they are already erudite

We need for the first blank a word that is an adjective to highlight the quality of the professors who think X. And this word is pedantic

Some professors are pedantic to think videogames could be object of study. Others think different

Let me know if this is helpful to you

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you Carcass. This does help. In retrospect, my choice boiled to something like ..scholarly scholar.. which is obviously nonsensical.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33111 [0]
Send PM
Re: While more (i)____________ professors continue to insist that video ga [#permalink]
Expert Reply
OE

This is a two-blank Text Completion question, so determine which blank is easier. Try starting with the first blank. Determine who/what the blank in the sentence is describing. The first blank describes certain professors. Now determine what else gives insight into the word for the blank. The passage states that the professors insist that video games will never be a proper object of study. The transition word [w]hile also indicates that these professors are different from more heterodox academics. The opposite of heterodox academics would be ā€œorthodox,ā€ so thatā€™s a good word for the blank describing the professors. Choice (A), pedantic, meaning scholarly in a narrow-minded way, is a good match for the blank so keep (A). Progressive and erudite may describe professors generally, but do not match the word for the blank, so eliminate (B) and (C). Now work with the second blank. Determine who/what the blank in the sentence is describing. The second blank describes how the rising generation views the opinions of their pedantic colleagues.

Now determine what else gives insight into the word for the blank. The sentence describes the rising generation as more heterodox, so they likely see these views as ā€œoverly conservative.ā€ Choice (D), antediluvian, which means oldfashioned, is a good match so keep (D). Choice (E), pusillanimous, and (F), jejune, are both poor matches for the blank, so eliminate (E) and (F).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
We actually have another definition for pedantic which is unimaginative. Being fussy is the other definition. So pedantic fits best

Posted from my mobile device
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts