[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1524: Undefined array key "topic_tags_visibility"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 1525: Undefined array key "timer_statistics_visibility"
By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f : Data Interpretation Sets

Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 10:27 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 10:27

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 29128
Own Kudos [?]: 34165 [16]
Given Kudos: 25525
Send PM
avatar
Director
Director
Joined: 03 Sep 2017
Posts: 518
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 14 Jun 2018
Posts: 36
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 29128
Own Kudos [?]: 34165 [2]
Given Kudos: 25525
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
1
1
Expert Reply
I totally agree. The answer provided by ilcreatore was made having in mind the official solution provided by the author.

However, for me the answer C is elaborated in such way to make the question difficult.

Here we do have a simple % change. The universal rule for %change says that you make the following fraction

Starting value - the decreasing value / starting value = 7.4 %

Tha answer should be A.

Regards
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Sep 2018
Posts: 7
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
I don't get it, Carcass.

Quote:
Here we do have a simple % change. The universal rule for %change says that you make the following fraction

Starting value - the decreasing value / starting value


IlCreatore did exactly that and got result C, not A.
Verbal Expert
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 29128
Own Kudos [?]: 34165 [0]
Given Kudos: 25525
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
1
Expert Reply
Sorry, I made a dull mistake.

In the year before the stolen car was 12% of a certain number X. 12% less is 88

For the other year is 19.4%. So the decrease is 80.6.

\(\frac{88-80.6}{88}=0.084 *100 = 8.4\)

Which is C

Regards
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 May 2021
Posts: 6
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
IlCreatore wrote:
Assuming that in the base year 1994 cars stolen were 100, the number of stolen cars in 1997 and 1998 are respectively 88 and 80.6. Then, the percent decrease is computed as
(80.6-88)/88*100 = -8.4%. Answer C




why are we assuming base year as 1994 and not as 1997?
Verbal Expert
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 29128
Own Kudos [?]: 34165 [0]
Given Kudos: 25525
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
Expert Reply
aliceeee wrote:
IlCreatore wrote:
Assuming that in the base year 1994 cars stolen were 100, the number of stolen cars in 1997 and 1998 are respectively 88 and 80.6. Then, the percent decrease is computed as
(80.6-88)/88*100 = -8.4%. Answer C




why are we assuming base year as 1994 and not as 1997?


I used it as a starting point. Our X
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 May 2020
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
Hi Carcass
Is the question worded correctly or am I interpreting this incorrectly?
The title says that the graph shows % change in motor vehicle theft in the US between 94-98. Now it does not specify if the change is year on year (ie 95 had 4.3% less thefts than 94 and 96 had 9.4% less thefts han 95) or if its a comparison between thefts in 94 and to the other years (ie 97 indicates a 12% reduction in thefts between 94 and 98). I assumed the graph to be the former. Can you explain why you chose the latter in your explanation?

Hi GreenlightTestPrep could you please share your thoughts on this?
Thank You!
Verbal Expert
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 29128
Own Kudos [?]: 34165 [0]
Given Kudos: 25525
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
Expert Reply
elPatron434 wrote:
Hi Carcass
Is the question worded correctly or am I interpreting this incorrectly?
The title says that the graph shows % change in motor vehicle theft in the US between 94-98. Now it does not specify if the change is year on year (ie 95 had 4.3% less thefts than 94 and 96 had 9.4% less thefts han 95) or if its a comparison between thefts in 94 and to the other years (ie 97 indicates a 12% reduction in thefts between 94 and 98). I assumed the graph to be the former. Can you explain why you chose the latter in your explanation?

Hi GreenlightTestPrep could you please share your thoughts on this?
Thank You!


Overall but we need the follwoing

By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease from 1997 to 1998?
Retired Moderator
Joined: 10 Apr 2015
Posts: 6218
Own Kudos [?]: 11874 [2]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
2
elPatron434 wrote:
Hi Carcass
Is the question worded correctly or am I interpreting this incorrectly?
The title says that the graph shows % change in motor vehicle theft in the US between 94-98. Now it does not specify if the change is year on year (ie 95 had 4.3% less thefts than 94 and 96 had 9.4% less thefts han 95) or if its a comparison between thefts in 94 and to the other years (ie 97 indicates a 12% reduction in thefts between 94 and 98). I assumed the graph to be the former. Can you explain why you chose the latter in your explanation?

Hi GreenlightTestPrep could you please share your thoughts on this?
Thank You!


I totally agree with you. The wording of this question is ambiguous (for the same reasons you noted).
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Oct 2023
Posts: 17
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: By what percent did the number of vehicles stolen decrease f [#permalink]
1
Assuming we have stolen cars at the start of graph 100, the number of stolen cars in 1997 and 1998 are respectively (0.12x 100) 88 and (19.4 x 100) 80.6. Then, the percent decrease is computed as (new %- original%)/ original %

(80.6-88)/88*100 = -8.4%. Answer C
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
52 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
28 posts
Moderator
1092 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne