Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:22

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Prep Club Team Member
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [8]
Given Kudos: 1051
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [5]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [2]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: During World War I, the issue of neutral rights on the seas [#permalink]
I got 6 on 10
please explain 5,6,9 and 10
Time-14 min
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Can aynone answer the 5 ??
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dpraneeth10 wrote:
Can aynone answer the 5 ??

Official Explanation

5. This passage most likely appeared in a:

Difficulty Level: Hard

Explanation

(B) The focus of the passage is on neutral sea rights. The conflict ensues between the Allies and the Germans over this issue. Thus the passage is likely to appear in a place that deals with naval subject matter.

(A) is wrong because if it were a journalistic article it would probably have a more contemporaneous perspective. Also, the passage deals with a historical period too long ago to be news-appropriate.

(C) is wrong because the effect of individuals and their decisions is more important in this passage than the contributions of groups – sociology studies group behavior and social constructions.

(D) is wrong because the topic is international relations, not how the American government functions internally.

(E) is not likely either since a manual contains specific instructions, not a detailed historical account.

(B) is the best choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
During World War I, the issue of neutral rights on the seas [#permalink]
Can anyone explain 7 an8 please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
can anyone explain question 6,8 and 10?....got all correct except this in 12 minutes
Own Kudos [?]: 3246 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Supreeth27112 wrote:
can anyone explain question 6,8 and 10?....got all correct except this in 12 minutes

Official Explanation

6. It can be inferred from the passage that Lansing’s dropping of the modus vivendi proposal seemed to represent:

Explanation

In the middle of the second paragraph, we read that in presenting his modus vivendi proposal, Lansing implied that the American government had accepted the German view that armed merchant vessels were warships.

Then, in the second sentence of paragraph 3, we read that by dropping the modus vivendi proposal, the Wilson administration seemed to be reverting to the British view on this question.

Therefore, as choice (A) states, the United States seemed to be reversing its position. Many of the other choices have merit but none are as precise as choice (A).

Answer: A

8. According to the passage, the U-boat was

Difficulty Level: Medium

Explanation

The passage tells us that “Lansing had implied that the American government regarded Allied armed merchant vessels as warships. This had been the German position all along, and they eagerly seized on the opening the Americans had created.” Thus, the Pandora’s box was the start of German attacks. Lansing’s subtle misrepresentation of the facts was enough for the Germans to justify their position.

(A) is incorrect because no further proposals are mentioned in the passage.

(C) is incorrect because Lansing was not necessarily misled himself. There is no evidence to suggest that in the passage.

(D) is incorrect because the Americans did not want to attack the Germans.

(E) is incorrect because the Pandora’s box does not represent the entire war, just the German attacks. There is also no evidence that Germany planned to have Lansing be the instigator of their attacks.

Answer: B

10. For what reason does the author say that the dropping of the modus vivendi had alarmed the pacifists?

Explanation

The quotation from Wilson’s letter in paragraph 3 is one piece of evidence for the correct answer here. Another is the fact that Wilson was evidently willing to risk a confrontation with Germany, and the risk of war that that entailed, in order to uphold the concept of international law. This fact helps eliminate choices (A) and (D).

Though the passage states that Wilson interpreted the Gore-Lars resolutions as a challenge to his leadership in foreign affairs, it does not suggest that his primary motive in opposing the resolutions was to suppress congressional opposition (C).

(E) might be true, but the relationship between America and Britain is not discussed in the quotation as a factor in Wilson’s decision.

Answer: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Guys, I have been practising on and on in these long RCs and it seems like a never ending battle. Also, I got 8 correct out of 10. But took me 40 minutes. What am I doing wrong? It’s taking me a lot of time to understand these long passages. Please help.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [0]

Send PM
4 min/ques - sir, this is too slow.

Don't panic, but read slowly to understand. Try reading from various resources.

Carcass

Pritwish wrote:
Guys, I have been practising on and on in these long RCs and it seems like a never ending battle. Also, I got 8 correct out of 10. But took me 40 minutes. What am I doing wrong? It’s taking me a lot of time to understand these long passages. Please help.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
During World War I, the issue of neutral rights on the seas [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Frankly I must say two things

On one hand of the spectrum, we need to take the GRE, from the student's perspective, in a reasonable amount of time. Not in ten years from now.

ON THE OTHER edge, a person or a student who takes so long to read and understand a passage CANNOT and will not be able to fix this in a short period of time. Hands down.

It is the case that a GRE or GMAT passage is something written at an academic level. So if you take 40 minutes clearly you struggle with the Standard English Language.

Moreover, the advice to read the economist or the new yorker, which now seems the holy grail advice, will not work either. Because those readings are on the same level, more or less, of the GRE

Therefore, if you do not understand a GRE passage, then how could you understand the Economist that is professional writing ??

something does not fit well if not at all. I quote something that a student must keep in mind like gospel in a church

Quote:
if someone is going to spend a large number of hours, then those hours should be spent before the person starts taking on GRE-type problems. for instance, if the student can't read English fast enough, then that's a problem that must be addressed before he/she begins to look at GRE-style problems. if the student doesn't understand how to read passages for the main point, then that's a problem that must be addressed before he/she begins to look at GRE style problems. etc.

Quote:
if the student has gone through those materials and is still having considerable trouble, then one of the following three things (or more than one of them) is true:

(1) the student hasn't taken the time to learn how the problems work, and is just randomly trying to memorize things;
(2) the student doesn't understand how to read and process the passages, and is basically reading as though the passages were just fact-fact-fact-fact;
(3) the student isn't yet good enough at reading and understanding professionally written English.

notice that NONE of these three things is going to be fix-able by a greater volume of practice problems. if any of these three things is going on, additional practice problems won't fix the problem; in fact, additional practice is just going to cement the problem.
as an analogy, think of someone with a totally wrong golf swing. now, think of what will happen if this person goes out and takes 10,000 practice swings at golf balls -- the person will still have exactly the same problems, but those problems will now be so thoroughly reinforced that they will be practically impossible to fix.

Notice how all the strategies in this world to improve WILL NOT work unless the student himself or herself does not address the issues above mentioned.

Regards

rx10 you are well in advance in the process...but not so advanced to hit 170!! ;)

RC passages are not different being or involved in the Hokuto Shinken Battle Technique!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2118 [0]

Send PM
Haha! :D

Hail to the legend!!!
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators: