Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:47

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q169 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Re: Hi I’m new here. I got this score 10 days ago [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hope these files help you

Regards
Attachments

Main point of RC passage.pdf [881.18 KiB]
Downloaded 1327 times

Gin's RC Tips.pdf [125.6 KiB]
Downloaded 805 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I’m currently at 146Q and need to get to a 158Q. I dont have a test date set yet and I’ve been in the textbook phase relearning all the math concepts, but haven’t gotten to many practice test yet. Any advice?

Definitely start with the concepts and make sure you know all of them. ETS put out a document called the math review guide, which covers all of the concepts you need to know, at least to get into the 160s. After you finish master in the concepts, you need to realize that this mastery does not guarantee a high score. The official math questions are tricky and design to lead you astray and distract you and waste your time. You need to become familiar with these tricks so that you can avoid them.

As you practice more with official material, you will start to notice them more and more. Also, I would have a time management strategy. How are you going to answer the 20 questions in each math section? Are you going to jump around? Are you going to do quantitative comparison first? Maybe the chart questions first? The only thing that matters at the end of the day is the points. Do not get into a personal battle with one question, spend five minutes on it, and still get it wrong. The only thing we care about is that number at the end of the day.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sawant91, I have some videos on my YouTube channel that outline how I approach reading. Basically, you don’t want to get too wrapped up in the factual details of each passage. The tonal shifts, main idea, opinions, and author’s stance are much more important.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Absolutely phenomenal mate! Congratulations!

I have plateaued at 80% on quantitative and 86% verbal for 2 weeks now. I am trying to do as many questions as much as possible until my test 3 days ago. I know I can do 90% in the quantitative section but I can't seem to touch it. I have gotten the same quantitative score for the last 6 manhattan test prep but my verbal score increased by 20% rather quickly. Not sure why this is as I am a double major in physics and mathematics with top grades.

I feel that I am close to 90% in the quantitative portion, just need to avoid careless mistakes due to stress on the test. Any tips or advice?

P.S. How many more questions do you need to answer correctly to jump from 80% to 90%? Also, does scoring 90% rather than 90% have a sizeable impact for getting into mid-top tier schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Hope these files help you

Regards

Thank you so much for pdfs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
[quote="alw2aj"]Hi!
I’m currently at 146Q and need to get to a 158Q. I dont have a test date set yet and I’ve been in the textbook phase relearning all the math concepts, but haven’t gotten to many practice test yet. Any advice?

Hello,
I have taken GRE on oct15,2018 and scored 159 in quant. But I want to improve my score, and studying from Magoosh, Official ETS books.
You can try these if you want.

Good Luck!!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5260 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sawant91,

When you are incorrectly answering Reading Comprehension questions, it’s partly because you do not truly understand what you have just read, right? Thus, you likely have to slow down in order to (eventually) speed up. At this point, your best bet is to focus on getting the correct answers to questions, taking as much time as you need to see key details and understand the logic of what you are reading. You have to learn to comprehend what you read, keep it all straight, and use what you are reading to arrive at correct answers. If you don't understand something, go back and read it one sentence at a time, even one word at a time, not moving on until you understand what you have just read. There is no way around this work. Your goal should be to take all the time you need to understand exactly what is being said and arrive at the correct answer. If you can learn to get answers taking your time, you can learn to speed up. Answering questions is like any task: The more times you do it carefully and successfully, the faster you become at doing it carefully and successfully.

Another component of understanding what you are reading is being “present” when reading. Don’t worry about how things are going at work, or what you will eat for dinner, or even how long you are taking to read through the passage. Just focus on what is in front of you, word by word, line by line. Furthermore, try to make reading fun. For example, even if you are reading about a topic that bores you, pretend that you are the person making the argument. By doing so, you will make the passage more relatable to YOU, and ultimately you should be able to read with greater focus.

One final component of Reading Comprehension that may be tripping you up is that RC questions contain one or more trap answers that seem to answer the question but don't really. So, a key part of training to correctly answer RC questions is learning to notice the differences between trap answers and correct answers. You have to learn to see how trap answers seem to follow from what the passages say, but don't really, while correct answers fit what the passages say exactly.

If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Did you use a test prep course? If so, which one?
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts