Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [13]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is the literary critic like the poet [#permalink]
mind wrote:
All correct, except q19. Can someone explain q19? I was wavering between A D E, selected A. Please explain why A wrong. I chose A because it said "tendency of a predominantly male academic establishment to form preconceptions about women," in the passage it does not seem like the author mentioned anything about the establishment was being predominantly MALE.

Agree with your point that there is no explicit mention of "predominantly male academic establishment" however you can infer it from:
a. presence of an academic establishment, which keeps giving reviews & criticisms that are prejudiced in nature
b. many places you will find mentions of sexism, theoreticians of feminist literary criticism constantly striving to make a place for women in the society and in this academic arena
c. there is no mention of any struggles wrt women v/s women on basis of status, ego etc. (there is a mention of power struggle, but its in a different context => which is actually option D)
=> so, why would the female scholars be so careful about what they write and how they analyze, unless there is some kind of bias/prejudice within the academic establishment => and based on the passage this is heavily focussed on gender
=> you can infer it is "predominantly male" (if above doesnt suffice, try looking at the passage in the lens of not "predominantly male", many of the struggles, problems faced by female scholars wont make sense)

Thus eliminated A, its an inference.
Option D => you have a direct reference of it in the last paragraph:
"These questions are political in the sense that the debate over them will inevitably be less an exploration of abstract matters in a spirit of disinterested inquiry than an academic power struggle in which the careers and professional fortunes of many women scholars only now entering the academic profession in substantial numbers-will be at stake"

Leaving you with option E - which itself stands out due to the extreme nature of the option (probably the reason why there may not need be a need to read the paragraph to answer such questions)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
Can someone help with Q18? I was able to successfully eliminate III, so C, D and E options were eliminated. I was stuck in trying to find evidence for I and II in the passage. Although the gist of the passage was about how women crtics' artistic approach is looked down upon, I didn't find any evidence that they would "bring something UNIQUE" to the table.

For II, the last sentence talks about creating a construct a new theory that is somewhere between completely objective and completely artistic/intuitive. So the women critics are indeed creating a new theory that uses elements from both processes.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33099 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zohair123 wrote:
Can someone help with Q18? I was able to successfully eliminate III, so C, D and E options were eliminated. I was stuck in trying to find evidence for I and II in the passage. Although the gist of the passage was about how women crtics' artistic approach is looked down upon, I didn't find any evidence that they would "bring something UNIQUE" to the table.

For II, the last sentence talks about creating a construct a new theory that is somewhere between completely objective and completely artistic/intuitive. So the women critics are indeed creating a new theory that uses elements from both processes.

II. They must develop. a new theory of the critical process.

As long as the academic establishment continues to regard objective analysis as "masculine" and an intuitive approach as "feminine," the theoretician must steer a delicate philosophical course between the two. If she wishes to construct a theory of feminist criticism, she would be well advised to place it within the framework of a general theory of the critical process that is neither purely objective nor purely intuitive. Her theory is then more likely to be compared and contrasted with other theories of criticism with some degree of dispassionate distance.

be careful when you handle a question in which you have extreme words.

Must and wishes are very distinct

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
6/7 correct
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [2]
Swetabh wrote:
6/7 correct

That's a great score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Zohair123 wrote:

As long as the academic establishment continues to regard objective analysis as "masculine" and an intuitive approach as "feminine," the theoretician must steer a delicate philosophical course between the two. If she wishes to construct a theory of feminist criticism, she would be well advised to place it within the framework of a general theory of the critical process that is neither purely objective nor purely intuitive. Her theory is then more likely to be compared and contrasted with other theories of criticism with some degree of dispassionate distance.

Regards

But about I , I also don't see unique anything
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
Flashinthepan wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Zohair123 wrote:

Regards

But about I , I also don't see unique anything

You may wanna read the last paragraph of the passage again. Specifically, the first few lines.

These questions are political in the sense that the debate over them will inevitably be less an exploration of abstract matters in a spirit of disinterested inquiry than an academic power struggle in which the careers and professional fortunes of many women scholars only now entering the academic profession in substantial numbers-will be at stake, and with them the chances for a

distinctive contribution to humanistic understanding, a contribution that might be an important influence against sexism in our society

This implies that the author believes that women are capable of bringing some distinctive to the society.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I am confused with the choices of A and D in the last question, number 23. Can anyone please explain it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
For ques 23, just take a look at the main idea of political problem mentioned in the para, it says they have academic power struggle(that means someone wants power over the. other). The only option having problem with power is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
I am confused about question 22. Help please!.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Why can't choice (C) work for Q22?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
If she defines feminist criticism as creative and intuitive, privileged as art, then her work becomes vulnerable to the prejudices of stereotypic ideas about the ways in which women think, and will be dismissed by much of the academic establishment. Because of these prejudices

22. Which of the following is most likely to be one of, the "utilitarian political objectives" mentioned by the author ?

(A) To forge a new theory of literary criticism - wrong

(B) To pursue truth in a disinterested manner - wrong

(C) To demonstrate that women are interested in literary criticism that can be viewed either subjectively or objectively - Wrong the can use both of the worlds

(D) To convince the academic establishment to revise the ways in which it assesses women scholars' professional qualities - CORRECT

(E) To dissuade women who are literary critics from taking a subjective approach to literary criticism - Wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
4/7 correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
6/7 correct except Q22.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
8mins..6/7
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Got everything right except the 2nd one . Hows it A and not B?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
aishumurali wrote:
Got everything right except the 2nd one . Hows it A and not B?

see this or ask if still unclear

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/is-the-li ... tml#p49361
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts