Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:45

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [16]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: It has been known for many decades that the appearance of su [#permalink]
It can be inferred from the passage that the argument in favor of the model described in lines third paragraph would be strengthened if which of the following were found to be true?

(A) Episodes of intense volcanic eruptions in the distant past occurred in cycles having very long periodicities.
(B) At the present time the global level of thunderstorm activity increases and decreases in cycles with periodicities of approximately 11 years.
(C) In the distant past cyclical climatic changes had periodicities of longer than 200 years.
(D) In the last century the length of the sunspot cycle has been known to vary by as much as 2 years from its average periodicity of 11 years.
(E) Hundreds of millions of years ago, solar-activity cycles displayed the same periodicities as do present-day solar-activity cycles.

Why not E?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
But the OA is E.

Or do you mean is another answer choice ??

:?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
But the OA is E.

Or do you mean is another answer choice ??

:?

Can you please explain how is the answer E?
I'm stuck on this one. I can't seem to find the conclusion perhaps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
According to the passage, late seventeenth and early eighteenth-century Chinese records are important for which of the following reasons?

(A) They suggest that the data on which the Maunder minimum was predicated were incorrect.
(B) They suggest that the Maunder minimum cannot be related to climate.
(C) They suggest that the Maunder minimum might be valid only for Europe.
(D) They establish the existence of a span of unusually cold weather worldwide at the time of the Maunder minimum.
(E) They establish that solar activity at the time of the Maunder minimum did not significantly vary from its present pattern.

Why not B?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [4]
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
1) The author focuses primarily on
(C) Discussing the difficulties involved in linking terrestrial phenomena with solar activity and indicating how resolving that issue could have an impact on our understanding of solar physics.
Correct- This is clearly the theme of Passage

2) Which of the following statements about the two models of solar activity, as they are described in the third paragraph, is accurate?
(B) In both models the solar-activity cycle is hypothesized as being dependent on the large-scale solar magnetic field.
Correct- Both models contain role of Sun's large-scale magnetic field

3) According to the passage, late seventeenth and early eighteenth-century Chinese records are important for which of the following reasons?
(A) They suggest that the data on which the Maunder minimum was predicated were incorrect.
Correct- Based on notes kept by European observers, some scholars believed that there was a brief cessation of sunspot activity (Maunder min). But the reality of the Maunder min has yet to be established especially because Chinese records hint that there was no Maunder min. Hence they suggest notes of European observers were incorrect and there was no Manunder min.

(B) They suggest that the Maunder minimum cannot be related to climate.
Incorrect- trap answer. Chinese records do not contain any linkage between Maunder minimum and climate.

(C) They suggest that the Maunder minimum might be valid only for Europe.
Incorrect trap answer- As per the passage, that (overall) reality of Maunder Min is yet to be established due to Chinese records.it does not mention the partial geographical possibility.

4) The author implies which of the following about currently available geological and archaeological evidence concerning the solar-activity cycle?

(C) It is insufficient to confirm either model of solar activity described in the third paragraph.
Correct: If consistent and reliable geological or archaeological evidence tracing the solar-activity cycle
in the distant past could be found, it might also resolve an important issue in solar physics: how to model solar activity.

5) It can be inferred from the passage that the argument in favor of the model described in the third paragraph would be strengthened if which of the following were found to be true?
POE
(E) Hundreds of millions of years ago, solar-activity cycles displayed the same periodicities as do present-day solar-activity cycles.
correct: As per Model in Para 3, Sun's large-scale magnetic field is taken to be self-sustaining, so that the solar-activity cycle it drives would be maintained with little overall change for perhaps billions of years

6) It can be inferred from the passage that Chinese observations of the Sun during the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries
(D) record some sunspot activity during this period
Correct- As opposite to Maunder minimum
(E) have been employed by scientists seeking to argue that a change in solar activity occurred during this period
Incorrect trap answer- Chinese record suggest no change in activity

7) It can be inferred from the passage that studies attempting to use tree-ring thickness to locate possible links between solar periodicity and terrestrial climate are based on which of the following assumptions?
POE
(D) Tree-ring thicknesses reflect changes in terrestrial climate.
Correct: Scientists have also sought evidence of long-term solar periodicities by examining…..The thickness of ancient tree rings. These studies, however, failed to link unequivocally terrestrial climate and the solar-activity cycle,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Hello Carcass,

Some of the questions like Question no 4 and Question 5 mention the line numbers in the Big Book but here on GPC has been rephrased. It helps to see exactly which line to read and to answer accordingly.

Much appreciated if we can correct that.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
No unfortunately you cannot fix because the html code does not maintain the same layout.

But I do not see a big issue because, for instance, the stem mention: in line 22 the word "conflict" what that means in the context?

You do not need line 22 because I highlight in blue the word conflict both in the stem and in the passage to pinpoint immediately.

At the end of the day, it changes nothing in the understanding of the word in the context by you whatsoever.

It is not the presence or less the line 22 beside the passage that will impact your GRE score.

How this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]

Send PM
Carcass wrote:
No unfortunately you cannot fix because the html code does not maintain the same layout.

But I do not see a big issue because, for instance, the stem mention: in line 22 the word "conflict" what that means in the context?

You do not need line 22 because I highlight in blue the word conflict both in the stem and in the passage to pinpoint immediately.

At the end of the day, it changes nothing in the understanding of the word in the context by you whatsoever.

It is not the presence or less the line 22 beside the passage that will impact your GRE score.

How this helps.

Well it did change my understanding but again I think it is futile to justify my logic as to each his own.

Was suggest a suggestion , no problem :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]

Send PM
Flashinthepan wrote:
Carcass wrote:

How this helps.

Well it did change my understanding but again I think it is futile to justify my logic as to each his own.

Was suggest a suggestion , no problem :)

I mean particulary in Q5 lines related to evidence , I don't know which line number is that but I focussed on the begginng not on the first model
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
No problem. Sir.

I much appreciate the feedback it is only a question of practicality and not logic or personal opinion.

Back to your question Q5 mention the Line from x to y in the original passage BUT actually from x to y is the entire third paragraph and the stem mention it

Above, clearly the entire passage has three paragraphs and this reflect exactly the structure of the original.

In the end, saying : what do you infer from line 25 to 30 which is exact the third part and saying which do you infer from the third paragraph....is the same

I.mean : before to change something from the original that could mislead we ho through a long process to accomodate and find a win win solution.

Regards
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
BTW this kind of flexibility or adaptation is ALSO what distingushes who has a high score and who has a bit less.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In Question 4, options A and B seem to be completely identical. It ended up not mattering for me because neither of them were correct anyway, but it could've potentially been troublesome if either of them WAS correct.

Is there a way to fix this? I feel like this is a similar question to what Flashinthepan asked, and these options are supposed to be talking about specific lines.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AquilaIsANiceWord wrote:
In Question 4, options A and B seem to be completely identical. It ended up not mattering for me because neither of them were correct anyway, but it could've potentially been troublesome if either of them WAS correct.

Is there a way to fix this? I feel like this is a similar question to what Flashinthepan asked, and these options are supposed to be talking about specific lines.

Fixed Sir.
Thank you so much to pointed out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
you guys are trying to make replica of actual gre paper??
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
void wrote:
you guys are trying to make replica of actual gre paper??

What that mean Sir ??

could you explain me way better?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
it meant like gre exam interface..something like that
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
void wrote:
it meant like gre exam interface..something like that

Yes Sir

We are working to fix the timer inside the passage so it looks like the real exam

of course, Sir
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts