Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Given Kudos: 25177
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Supreme Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 442 [0]
Send PM
Re: One way in which companies can increase their productivity i [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bulletcross wrote:
ShefaliSahu wrote:
Why D?

The company is not concerned with revenue, just productivity. A high productivity does not imply high revenue.

Hi,

That may not be the exact reasoning because then A is also talking of revenues..

(A) Whether the cost of telecommuting will more than offset the increased productivity that comes about from its use.
Here too we are comparing the cost incurred in adopting telecommuting so effecting the revenue in the end..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Carcass bro..

can you suggest, why D is correct?

as per my understanding, companies took any decision only after accounting cost implications. Ans that is what written in D option. So why it is wrong?

i am going out of the context?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Why D?

Shouldn't the correct answer be E? It discusses about the traffic situation which is completely out of context for the passage.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Use telecommuting services and work from home rather coming to office everyday.
Why does the author think so? Because companies can increase their productivity by telecommuting. Also, it takes a lot of time for people to travel to office and people can do that work at home.
In order to evaluate, which will be useful to know, except.
Remember, this is an except question.

(A) Whether the cost of telecommuting will more than offset the increased productivity that comes about from its use. - This will help. Since if the cost increases, the company might have to suffer loss. What's the point of such productivity.

(B) Whether the day to day work of most companies involves physical interaction amongst their employees. If this is true, then it doesn't make sense to use telecommuting. If people need to interact physically, then this idea of telecommuting will decrease productivity

(C) Whether a large part of the work of an average employee can be conducted using telecommuting services. If a large part or the work can not be conducted using telecommuting services, then it will hamper the productivity.

(D) Whether the use of telecommuting service will lead to increased revenues for the companies adopting this service. If revenue increases, fine. If not, then also it's OK. We can sit on the same revenue. The argument is about time and productivity

(E) Whether the general traffic situation is likely to dramatically improve in the future. If the traffic situation is to improve dramatically then the time for the travel might considerably decrease. Then, it may not make much sense to work from home.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33119 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply

Official Explanation

Answer: D

Let’s look at each of the options and check whether it is relevant to the argument.

(A) Relevant. If there is no cost benefit of telecommuting, then companies may not want to make use of it.

(B) Relevant. If employees’ work requires physical interaction then telecommuting may not make sense.

(C) Relevant. If most of an employees’ work entails coming to the office then it may not make sense to use telecommuting.

(D) Irrelevant. Even if the revenues remain the same, the cost could go down because of telecommuting leading to increased profits from the same revenue base. So it does not matter whether the revenues go up or not.

(E) Relevant. If the traffic situation improves dramatically in the future, then it might take care of the problem associated with coming to work.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts