Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:27 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:27

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How would you rate the essay?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [0]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Re: Please rate my essay. Cooperation vs Competition [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Yes I think thats a good idea. Your kind of writing is quite non-linear which makes it an enjoyable read, but however, scientific writing is quite linear and therefore the metric of judgement is quite different. You should stick to the structured writing you did in IELTS.
Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Great essay and I think it has potential. How long do you take to outline what you want to write? I would dedicate some time on that and expand your ideas a bit more before putting them in paragraph form. If you could bump up the length by 20-30%, that would be helpful. You use a lot of idioms and vocab words as well. While this is fine, overdoing it can make it seem more like a novel than an essay, with lots of personal opinions. Also, I would try to address the prompt a bit more, rather than keeping it at a rather high level discussion. A few specific examples would be helpful.

I also responded to this prompt, would appreciate feedback on my thread at greprepclub dot com/forum/manhattan-prep-essays-emotions-and-logic-gmo-millet-2252.html, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got 5.5 in the end, if anyone is interested. I could actually see a bad mistake I made as the time ran out, but I couldn't click on it fast enough. Because I made it in a highly visible part of the first paragraph, I strongly suspect it knocked the essay down a notch. Oh well, 5.5 is still good. Got 170 on Verbal, too, but the Quant was a little sub-par, so I'll be re-taking the test in September - I'd rather maximise my chances, and I kind of enjoyed the test in a perverse masochistic fashion.

I'd like to thank everyone once again for the suggestions. I was very heavy on examples in my essays. Essentially, I had one intro sentence, and the rest of the paragraph were examples. I had a total of 6 paragraphs for both essays. I decided to gamble for a six and spent no time checking the essay. Since I generally make few mistakes, being an experienced internet warrior, this worked for me.

I also tried ScoreItNow, which actually offers 8 rather than 2 essays, so it is an excellent deal. I got 6 on one issue essay and 5 on everything else. However, I found the programme a little stingy with 6s.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts