Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:28

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [6]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Financial Advisor: Clearly, Capital Coffee is losing money this year [#permalink]
hey Carcass can you have a look at this too? Thank you
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [2]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Re: Financial Advisor: Clearly, Capital Coffee is losing money this year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Financial Advisor: Clearly, Capital Coffee is losing money this year. In just the last six months, Capital Coffee has closed over three dozen stores nationwide, and may even need to close more in the future.

The assumption is that you did not open any other store because you can close 100 stores due to losses but you COULD have one million of other stores that have a profit.

The assumption is true if you close the stores but you do not have open others

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Assumptions using extreme Language [#permalink]
Hello GRE experts, Please I need help. I am confused about the type of question: find the assumptions that lead to the given conclusion.
It's said that we should eliminate choices that use extreme language like: all, none, always ... etc but ... WHY??!!

FOR EXAMPLE consider the following question (made and explained by Veritas prep).
Financial Advisor: Clearly, Capital Coffee is losing money this year.
In just the last six months, Capital Coffee has closed over three dozen stores nationwide, and may even need to close more in the future.
The Advisor's claim rests on which of the following assumptions?
(A) Domestic coffee sales are outperforming international sales.
(B) All of the store closings were made necessary by low sales volume.
(C) Capital Coffee has not opened more than three dozen stores this year.
(D) All major coffee retailers are losing money this year.
(E) None of Capital Coffee's recently closed stores had turned a profit in the last two years.
OA: C

The instructor eliminated answers that contain extreme languages, while I feel that they could be feasible answers.

for B-D-E He eliminated them for the following reasons:

(B) All: is an extreme words, also low sales is not a good reason.
What if the option was:
"All of the store closings were made necessary by low profit." would this be a valid option?

(D) All: extreme words makes it invalid .. why?
if All major coffee retailers are losing money this year is actually a given fact, wouldn't it validate our conclusion.

(E) None: same as D, why wrong??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Assumptions using extreme Language [#permalink]
Ks1859 is this the correct Format and category?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [1]
Send PM
Re: Financial Advisor: Clearly, Capital Coffee is losing money this year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Please, before to ask someting, which is not wrong though, search if the question or problem is ALREADY DISCUSSED.

aBOVE MY EXPLANATION

I usually DO NOT eliminate the answer choices due to extreme language. Sometimes, it is rare, they are correct. what is king in this land is the LOGIC

why a certain answer is wrong and why is correct

ask for further assistance
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Financial Advisor: Clearly, Capital Coffee is losing money this year [#permalink]
Ks1859 Thanks.
yes I saw the question posted in GrePreClub and in GmatClub and read explanations.

The thing is my question here wasn't about it, it was about a general concept.
Aren't I allowed to use a question as an example??
what todo if I want to include one as an example for other questions even if it has another post?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ks1859
Please I need more detailed explanations.

for (B) what is it was like this:
All of the store closings were made necessary by not making profit. would it be a valid choice??

Moreover, why D and E wrong??

D -> All major coffee retailers are losing money this year...
this is given as a fact. all major coffee retailers include CC too, which implies: CC is losing money.. So why wrong answer?

E -> None of Capital Coffee's recently-closed stores had turned a profit in the last two years--> which means they really closed after losing money which means CC is really losing money, why not correct??

Thanks
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Post under the general verbal section or quant if it is a quant question. Expert forum is a bit out of the radar.

However, in my opinion, there is no need to create a post giving a question as an example.

IF the question is already posted on the forum, you just point out your observation as a reply to the discussion.

IF it is a new question, just post it under the correct subforum and we will help you.

There is no need to create 1,000 posts. We try to keep the forum clean and straight.

Thanks

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Post under the general verbal section or quant if it is a quant question. Expert forum is a bit out of the radar.

However, in my opinion, there is no need to create a post giving a question as an example.

IF the question is already posted on the forum, you just point out your observation as a reply to the discussion.

IF it is a new question, just post it under the correct subforum and we will help you.

There is no need to create 1,000 posts. We try to keep the forum clean and straight.

Thanks

Regards

thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.
I think this one is fine. it is not redundant (not asked before) and under the right category.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nadaelnokaly wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Thanks

Regards

thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.
I think this one is fine. it is not redundant (not asked before) and under the right category.

You are welcome. We are here to help you :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
nadaelnokaly wrote:
Ks1859 is this the correct Format and category?

Hi There!

Yes! Using this format makes it easier for the members to look out for a post.

And as Carcass pointed you could use a question which is already on the forum and post your doubts there.

Let me know if I can help further!

Regards
S
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I can't find another similar post like this one on grePrepClub, so this is officially the right pla e to discuss.
so can you please answer me here? my exam is in a couple of days :/
(my questions are in the first reply)
Carcass Ks1859

Thank you
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes sure

However, what is the question?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nadaelnokaly wrote:
I would like To understand why C is the correct answer!

Also, it's given as premise that:
Capital Coffee has closed over three dozen stores nationwide and may even need to close more in the future
while in this answer it says that:
Capital Coffee has not opened more than three dozen stores ... how?

Moreover,
what I understand that: we have to prove that
Capital Coffee has closed over three dozen stores nationwide, because these closed stores were losing, is this the assumption we need to prove?

Additionally,
why D and E wrong??

D -> All major coffee retailers are losing money this year... this includes Capital coffee too, which means: CC is losing money.. So why wrong answer?

E -> None of Capital Coffee's recently-closed stores had turned a profit in the last two years--> which means they really closed after losing money which means CC is really losing money, why not correct??

Please I need detailed explanation, thanks

Carcass Here is my doubt in the quote above.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [4]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
nadaelnokaly wrote:
Ks1859
Please I need more detailed explanations.

for (B) what is it was like this:
All of the store closings were made necessary by not making profit. would it be a valid choice??

Moreover, why D and E wrong??

D -> All major coffee retailers are losing money this year...
this is given as a fact. all major coffee retailers include CC too, which implies: CC is losing money.. So why wrong answer?

Thanks

Hi There!

Sure. Although I narrowed it down to option B & C. I choose B over C but B is a trap answer.

(A) Domestic coffee sales are outperforming international sales.- Not concerned about domestic/international
(B) All of the store closings were made necessary by low sales volume.- Note low sales does not imply loss or closing of stores. Thus is is wrong as well
(C) Capital Coffee has not opened more than three dozen stores this year.- Lets try to negate this answer- CC has opened more than 3 dozen stores, so it destroys the author's conclusion that CC will need to close more stores in the future. Therefore, this is the correct choice.
(D) All major coffee retailers are losing money this year.- The premise gives us no information about other coffee retailers, so this option is out of scope considering the given stem
(E) None of Capital Coffee's recently closed stores had turned a profit in the last two years.- None is an extreme option to choose also, the given information does not talks about profit. Thus, out of scope.

P.s.: Do not get attached to questions and waste your time to get a perfect explanation instead focus on weak/unknown topics.

Hope this helps!

Regards
S
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I do not know why this question created so many troubles.

The company has losses. However, if they opened 1,000 stores more and the profits went good the assumption is no longer valid.

So C is the answer

Quote:
Sure. Although I narrowed it down to option B & C. I choose B over C but B is a trap answer.

(B) All of the store closings were made necessary by low sales volume.

This is a fact already implied in the stem even though NOt necessarily a low sales means losses

Clearly is wrong. It is not even a trap answer
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts