Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [7]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2214 [2]
Given Kudos: 251
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2214 [0]
Send PM
Re: Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema wa [#permalink]
Carcass wrote:
is it a question ?? is it a doubt ??

The answer for Ques 25. an explanation would be helpful
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
1) He conceived of the camera image as having a foreground and a rear ground, as well as the middle distance preferred by most directors

2) His appreciation of the camera's possibilities produced novel dramatic effects.

3) Griffith also achieved dramatic effects by means of creative editing

4) Besides developing the cinema's language, Griffith immensely broadened its range and treatment of subjects. His early output was remarkably eclectic

This question could handle as a sort of main idea passage's question, which means that you should have a broad spectrum of the overall idea.

From the sentence above only II is correct because it encompasses just what I showed you. The other two answers: one is not true and the other is out of scope (namely the I and the II)

Hope this helps.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema wa. Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema was the single-handed achievement of David W. Griffith (1875-1948).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2214 [2]
Send PM
Thanks, That's what I meant , it is option A i.e. II only , whereas OA was B. ( I corrected to A) :)
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry I made a typo Read carefully what I wrote

From the sentence above only II is correct because it encompasses just what I showed you. The other two answers: one is not true and the other is out of scope (namely the I and the II)

The answer is B and the third III is the only answer.

Thank you :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
plz explain 23,27 and 26
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Send PM
Can any one explain Q23?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33117 [4]
Send PM
Expert Reply

It can be inferred from the passage that before 1910 the normal running time of a film was

before 1910 means before G.. running time I guess I read it in 3rd paa- go there !!
note :before Griff
When he remade Enoch Arden in 1911, he insisted that a subject of such importance could not be treated in the then conventional length of one reel. Griffith's introduction of the American-made multireel picture began an immense revolution. Two years later, Judith of Bethulia, an elaborate historic philosophical spectacle, reached the unprecedented length of four reels, or one hour's running time.

pokay so before G : 1 reel
after G : 4 reels ...4 reels= 1 hour ...theorefore 1 reel= 15 mins !!

(A) 15 minutes or less

(B) between 15 and 30 minutes
We cannot say for sure that "15 mins" was not in the range !!! This answer choice says BETWEEN 15 and 30 and not "inclusive of"

(C) between 30 and 45 minutes
wrong

(D) between 45 minutes and 1 hour
- wrong
(E) I hour or more
-wrong

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The author suggests that Griffith's film innovations had a direct effect on all of the following EXCEPT

refer the keywords !!!

keywods : maturing , singlehanded, before G, composition, most diector, 1910, novel, splitting
keywrods : creative editiing, reluctance, public-plot, transposed VN
keywords : broadnened range, subjects, B an T, social , reeel, revolution, Jud, viewpoint, debate, intellect

(A) film editing - found it

(B) camera work - 2nd para full

(C) scene composing- found it (keywords)

(D) sound editing- sound nowhere

(E) directing - found it (keywords)

refer to the keywords !!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The author suggests that Griffith's contributions to the cinema had which of the following results?

I. Literary works, especially Victorian novels, became popular sources for film subjects.

all we know that G employed certain things which he may have based on Vic novels...BUT did the Vic novel became POPULAR SOURCES of films??
eliminate C and E

II. Audience appreciation of other film directors' experimentations with cinematic syntax was increased.
- we only talk about G's contributions ..and what exactly the audience appreciated is not very specific (cinematic syntax)...additionally "other director's experimentation"?? no mention
eliminate A and D

III. Many of the artistic limitations thought to be inherent in filmmaking were shown to be really nonexistent.

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

----------------------------------------------------------

The author's attitude toward photography in the cinema before Griffith can best be described as

please note: before griffith .... now scan the keywords and see where does the " before G lie" ?? 1st para... now very carefully read the para from the start to the end and see how the author's toning is.. you will notice that author is not really amazed or views the cinema before G as not really great ..supporting line: Before Griffith. photography Line in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera and showing them in full length as they would have appeared on stage.
- we can sense that author is not really excited or is looking down on the cinema industry before G

(A) sympathetic ...nope

(B) nostalgic..nope

(C) amused...he is not even close to amuse

now both of the remaining choices are negatives

(D) condescending - inferior / looking down upon

(E) hostile... "showing or feeling opposition or dislike; unfriendly." ...is author strongly opposing or disliking the cinema before G...no he is just comparing it with today and hence LOOKING DOWN on the before G part.."not reallygreat' is the authors view
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Please explain question 24 and 26.

The author asserts that Griffith introduced all of the following into American cinema EXCEPT
(A) consideration of social issues
(B) adaptations from Tennyson
(C) the flashback and other editing techniques
(D) photographic approaches inspired by Victorian painting
(E) dramatic plots suggested by Victorian theater

26. It can be inferred from the passage that Griffith would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements?

(A) The good director will attempt to explore new ideas as quickly as possible.
(B) The most important element contributing to a film's success is the ability of the actors.
(C) The camera must be considered an integral and active element in the creation of a film.
(D) The cinema should emphasize serious and sober examinations of fundamental human problems.
(E) The proper composition of scenes in a film is more important than the details of their editing.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
I explained above :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Thank you fr the explanation. Q25 option III is unfortunately still not clear to me. Where does that come from passage?

Carcass wrote:

It can be inferred from the passage that before 1910 the normal running time of a film was

before 1910 means before G.. running time i guess i read it in 3rd paa- go there !!
note :before Griff
When he remade Enoch Arden in 1911, he insisted that a subject of such importance could not be treated in the then conventional length of one reel. Griffith's introduction of the American-made multireel picture began an immense revolution. Two years later, Judith of Bethulia, an elaborate historicophilosophical spectacle, reached the unprecedented length of four reels, or one hour's running time.

pokay so before G : 1 reel
after G : 4 reels ...4 reels= 1 hour ...theorefore 1 reel= 15 mins !!

(A) 15 minutes or less

We cannot say for sure that "15 mins" was not in the range !!! This asnwer choice says BETWEEN 15 and 30 and not "inclusive of"

wrong

- wrong
(E) I hour or more
-wrong

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The author suggests that Griffith's film innovations had a direct effect on all of the following EXCEPT

refer the keywords !!!

keywods : maturing , singlehanded, before G, composition, most diector, 1910, novel, splitting
keywrods : creative editiing, reluctance, public-plot, transposed VN
keywords : broadnened range, subjects, B an T, social , reeel, revolution, Jud, viewpoint, debate, intellect

(A) film editing - found it

(B) camera work - 2nd para full

(C) scene composing- found it (keywords)

(D) sound editing- sound nowhere

(E) directing - found it (keywords)

refer the keywords !!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The author suggests that Griffith's contributions to the cinema had which of the following results?

I. Literary works, especially Victorian novels, became popular sources for film subjects.

all we know that G employed certain things which he may have based on Vic novels...BUT did the Vic noevl became POPULAR SOURCES of films??
eliminate C and E

II. Audience appreciation of other film directors' experimentations with cinematic syntax was increased.
- we only talk about G's contributions ..and what ecactly the audience appreciated is not very speicific (cinematic syntax)...additionally "other director's experimentation"?? no mention
eliminate A and D

III. Many of the artistic limitations thought to be inherent in filmmaking were shown to be really nonexistent.

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

----------------------------------------------------------

The author's attitude toward photography in the cinema before Griffith can best be described as

please note : before griffith .... now scan the keywords and see where does the " before G lie" ?? 1st para... now very carefullu read the para from the start to the end and see how author's toning is.. you will notice that author is not really amazed or views the cinema before G as not really great ..supporting line :Before Griffith. photography Line in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera and showing them in full length as they would have appeared on stage.
- we can sense that author is not really excited or is looking down on the cinema industry before G

(A) sympathetic ...nope

(B) nostalgic..nope

(C) amused...he is not even close to amuse

now both of the remaining choices are negatives

(D) condescending - inferior / looking down upon

(E) hostile... "showing or feeling opposition or dislike; unfriendly." ...is author strongly opposing or disliking the cinema before G...no he is just comparing it with today and hence LOOKING DOWN on the before G part.."not reallygreat' is authors view
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
I failed in the Q25, because I marked D. Someone can explain me why this:

Quote:
Audience appreciation of other film directors' experimentations with cinematic syntax was increased.

is not correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Unlike some previous posts, the official answer for Q25 is B (III only)

The correct answer does not seem to come from any specific part of the passage but from the overall meaning of the passage. Admittedly, the phrase "thought to be inherent" is sure to confuse a lot of people because it is not found anywhere in the passage.

However, to solve this, there's another way. I is clearly wrong because nowhere in the passage says/implies literary works became popular sources of film subjects even though the Griffith is inspired by a similar work of Victorian. Therefore, we can eliminate C & D. II is hard to disapprove but some have said that the passage does not talk about other film directors and also it is focusing on cinematic syntax, which is too narrow for the passage that praises a wide range of innovations coming from Griffith. Because of this, we can eliminate any other answers that include II, which are A, C, E. The only answer left is B, which is not perfect but it is the best.
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema wa [#permalink]
21. The primary purpose of the passage is to

relevant lines from the passage

Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema was the single-handed achievement of David W. Griffith (1875-1948).

Griffith also achieved dramatic effects by means of creative editing.

Besides developing the cinema's language, Griffith immensely broadened its range and treatment of subjects.

The first lines of each paragraph mention the importance of Griffith to the development of cinema. Therefore, it is the primary purpose of the passage

(A) discuss the importance of Griffith to the development of the cinema. Correct.
(B) describe the impact on cinema of the flashback and other editing innovations.
(C) deplore the state of American cinema before the advent of Griffith
(D) analyze the changes in the cinema wrought by the introduction of the multireel film
(E) document Griffith's impact on the choice of subject matter in American films

22. The author suggests that Griffith's film innovations had a direct effect on all of the following EXCEPT

(A) film editing. Wrong.

Griffith also achieved dramatic effects by means of creative editing.....In thus exploiting fully the possibilities of editing, Griffith transposed devices of the Victorian novel to film and gave film mastery of time as well as space.

(B) camera work. Wrong.

His appreciation of the camera's possibilities produced novel dramatic effects. By splitting an event into fragments and recording each from the most suitable camera position, he could significantly vary the emphasis from camera shot to camera shot.

(C) scene composing. Wrong.

From the beginning of his career as a director, however, Griffith because of his love of Victorian painting, employed composition. He conceived of the camera image as having a foreground and a rear ground, as well as the middle distance preferred by most directors. By 1910 he was using close-ups to reveal significant details of the scene or of the acting and extreme long shots to achieve a sense of spectacle and distance.

(D) sound editing. Correct.

It is not mentioned anywhere in the passage.

(E) directing.Wrong.

From the beginning of his career as a director, however, Griffith because of his love of Victorian painting, employed composition.

23. It can be inferred from the passage that before 1910 the normal running time of a film was

relevant lines from the passage.

Griffith's introduction of the American-made multireel picture began an immense revolution. Two years later, Judith of Bethulia, an elaborate historic philosophical spectacle, reached the unprecedented length of four reels, or one hour's running time.

(A) 15 minutes or less. Correct.
(B) between 15 and 30 minutes. Wrong.
(C) between 30 and 45 minutes. Wrong.
(D) between 45 minutes and 1 hour. Wrong.
(E) I hour or more. Wrong.

24. The author asserts that Griffith introduced all of the following into American cinema EXCEPT

(A) consideration of social issues. Wrong.

Besides developing the cinema's language, Griffith immensely broadened its range and treatment of subjects. His early output was remarkably eclectic: it included not only the standard comedies, melodramas, westerns, and thrillers, but also such novelties as adaptations from Browning and Tennyson, and treatments of social issues.

(B) adaptations from Tennyson. Wrong.

Besides developing the cinema's language, Griffith immensely broadened its range and treatment of subjects. His early output was remarkably eclectic: it included not only the standard comedies, melodramas, westerns, and thrillers, but also such novelties as adaptations from Browning and Tennyson, and treatments of social issues.

(C) the flashback and other editing techniques. Wrong.

These included the flashback, permitting broad psychological and emotional exploration as well as narrative that was not chronological, and the crosscut between two parallel actions to heighten suspense and excitement. In thus exploiting fully the possibilities of editing, Griffith transposed devices of the Victorian novel to film and gave film mastery of time as well as space.

(D) photographic approaches inspired by Victorian painting. Wrong.

From the beginning of his career as a director, however, Griffith because of his love of Victorian painting, employed composition. He conceived of the camera image as having a foreground and a rear ground, as well as the middle distance preferred by most directors.

(E) dramatic plots suggested by Victorian theater. Correct.

No mention of this in the passage.

25. The author suggests that Griffith's contributions to the cinema had which of the following results?

III. Many of the artistic limitations thought to be inherent in filmmaking were shown to be really nonexistent. Correct.

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Choice B is the correct answer.

26. It can be inferred from the passage that Griffith would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements?

From the beginning of his career as a director, however, Griffith because of his love of Victorian painting, employed composition. He conceived of the camera image as having a foreground and a rear ground, as well as the middle distance preferred by most directors. By 1910 he was using close-ups to reveal significant details of the scene or of the acting and extreme long shots to achieve a sense of spectacle and distance....By splitting an event into fragments and recording each from the most suitable camera position, he could significantly vary the emphasis from camera shot to camera shot.

(A) The good director will attempt to explore new ideas as quickly as possible. Wrong.
(B) The most important element contributing to a film's success is the ability of the actors. Wrong.
(C) The camera must be considered an integral and active element in the creation of a film. Correct.
(D) The cinema should emphasize serious and sober examinations of fundamental human problems. Wrong.
(E) The proper composition of scenes in a film is more important than the details of their editing. Wrong.

27. The author's attitude toward photography in the cinema before Griffith can best be described as

Before Griffith photography in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera and showing them in full length as they would have appeared on stage.

(A) sympathetic
(B) nostalgic
(C) amused
(D) condescending. Correct.
(E) hostile
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema was the single-handed achievement of David W. Griffith (1875-1948). Before Griffith photography in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera and showing them in full length as they would have appeared on stage. From the beginning of his career as a director, however, Griffith because of his love of Victorian painting, employed composition. He conceived of the camera image as having a foreground and a rear ground, as well as the middle distance preferred by most directors. By 1910 he was using close-ups to reveal significant details of the scene or of the acting and extreme long shots to achieve a sense of spectacle and distance. His appreciation of the camera's possibilities produced novel dramatic effects. By splitting an event into fragments and recording each from the most suitable camera position, he could significantly vary the emphasis from camera shot to camera shot.

Griffith also achieved dramatic effects by means of creative editing. By juxtaposing images and varying the speed and rhythm of their presentation, he could control the dramatic intensity of the events as the story progressed. Despite the reluctance of his producers, who feared that the public would not be able to follow a plot that was made up of such juxtaposed images, Griffith persisted and experimented as well with other elements of cinematic syntax that have become standard ever since. These included the flashback, permitting broad psychological and emotional exploration as well as narrative that was not chronological, and the crosscut between two parallel actions to heighten suspense and excitement. In thus exploiting fully the possibilities of editing, Griffith transposed devices of the Victorian novel to film and gave film mastery of time as well as space.

Besides developing the cinema's language, Griffith immensely broadened its range and treatment of subjects. His early output was remarkably eclectic: it included not only the standard comedies, melodramas, westerns, and thrillers, but also such novelties as adaptations from Browning and Tennyson, and treatments of social issues. As his successes mounted, his ambitions grew, and with them the whole of American cinema. When he remade Enoch Arden in 1911, he insisted that a subject of such importance could not be treated in the then conventional length of one reel. Griffith's introduction of the American-made multireel picture began an immense revolution. Two years later, Judith of Bethulia, an elaborate historic philosophical spectacle, reached the unprecedented length of four reels, or one hour's running time. From our contemporary viewpoint, the pretensions of this film may seem a trifle ludicrous, but at the time it provoked endless debate and discussion and gave new intellectual respectability to the cinema.

(A) discuss the importance of Griffith to the development of the cinema
(B) describe the impact on cinema of the flashback and other editing innovations
(D) analyze the changes in the cinema wrought by the introduction of the multireel film
(E) document Griffith's impact on the choice of subject matter in American films

Show: :: OA
A

22. The author suggests that Griffith's film innovations had a direct effect on all of the following EXCEPT

(A) film editing
(B) camera work
(C) scene composing
(D) sound editing
(E) directing

D

23. It can be inferred from the passage that before 1910 the normal running time of a film was

(A) 15 minutes or less
(E) I hour or more

A

24. The author asserts that Griffith introduced all of the following into American cinema EXCEPT

E

25. The author suggests that Griffith's contributions to the cinema had which of the following results?

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

B

(B) The most important element contributing to a film's success is the ability of the actors.
(C) The camera must be considered an integral and active element in the creation of a film.
(D) The cinema should emphasize serious and sober examinations of fundamental human problems.
(E) The proper composition of scenes in a film is more important than the details of their editing.

C

27. The author's attitude toward photography in the cinema before Griffith can best be described as

(A) sympathetic
(B) nostalgic
(C) amused
(D) condescending
(E) hostile

D

Heyy!! I had a doubt in 26th question. See the passage on an overall level just doesn't speak about his abilities of capturing stuff on a camera right. For example the paragraph 1 - talks about his novel approach to camera, paragraph 2 - speaks about his novel approach to camera + editing, paragraph 3 - speaks about this novel approach to showing importance to subject by increasing the reel length. So shouldn't the most correct answer be that he was quick to bring in new things into the cinema world, rather than his novel approach to camera alone ?
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
tomme1511 wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Practically speaking, the artistic maturing of the cinema was the single-handed achievement of David W. Griffith (1875-1948). Before Griffith photography in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera and showing them in full length as they would have appeared on stage. From the beginning of his career as a director, however, Griffith because of his love of Victorian painting, employed composition. He conceived of the camera image as having a foreground and a rear ground, as well as the middle distance preferred by most directors. By 1910 he was using close-ups to reveal significant details of the scene or of the acting and extreme long shots to achieve a sense of spectacle and distance. His appreciation of the camera's possibilities produced novel dramatic effects. By splitting an event into fragments and recording each from the most suitable camera position, he could significantly vary the emphasis from camera shot to camera shot.

Griffith also achieved dramatic effects by means of creative editing. By juxtaposing images and varying the speed and rhythm of their presentation, he could control the dramatic intensity of the events as the story progressed. Despite the reluctance of his producers, who feared that the public would not be able to follow a plot that was made up of such juxtaposed images, Griffith persisted and experimented as well with other elements of cinematic syntax that have become standard ever since. These included the flashback, permitting broad psychological and emotional exploration as well as narrative that was not chronological, and the crosscut between two parallel actions to heighten suspense and excitement. In thus exploiting fully the possibilities of editing, Griffith transposed devices of the Victorian novel to film and gave film mastery of time as well as space.

Besides developing the cinema's language, Griffith immensely broadened its range and treatment of subjects. His early output was remarkably eclectic: it included not only the standard comedies, melodramas, westerns, and thrillers, but also such novelties as adaptations from Browning and Tennyson, and treatments of social issues. As his successes mounted, his ambitions grew, and with them the whole of American cinema. When he remade Enoch Arden in 1911, he insisted that a subject of such importance could not be treated in the then conventional length of one reel. Griffith's introduction of the American-made multireel picture began an immense revolution. Two years later, Judith of Bethulia, an elaborate historic philosophical spectacle, reached the unprecedented length of four reels, or one hour's running time. From our contemporary viewpoint, the pretensions of this film may seem a trifle ludicrous, but at the time it provoked endless debate and discussion and gave new intellectual respectability to the cinema.

(A) discuss the importance of Griffith to the development of the cinema
(B) describe the impact on cinema of the flashback and other editing innovations

A

(A) film editing
(B) camera work
(C) scene composing
(D) sound editing
(E) directing

D

(A) 15 minutes or less
(E) I hour or more

A

E

(A) II only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

B

C

(A) sympathetic
(B) nostalgic
(C) amused
(D) condescending
(E) hostile

D

Heyy!! I had a doubt in 26th question. See the passage on an overall level just doesn't speak about his abilities of capturing stuff on a camera right. For example the paragraph 1 - talks about his novel approach to camera, paragraph 2 - speaks about his novel approach to camera + editing, paragraph 3 - speaks about this novel approach to showing importance to subject by increasing the reel length. So shouldn't the most correct answer be that he was quick to bring in new things into the cinema world, rather than his novel approach to camera alone ?

Yes, but most of these innovations involved the camera and its use in novel ways. His novelty in other areas is not described at all, and hence C is the correct answer.

This is a global type of questions and throughout the passage, the majority of the innovations concerned the camera. This is especially highlighted in the very beginning of the passage where it is stated - "Before Griffith photography in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera and showing them in full length as they would have appeared on stage". In global question like this, and in this particular question, the focus is on the Main Idea of the passage and it can be found in the early sentences of the passage. And the second sentence remarks that "photography in dramatic films consisted of little more than placing the actors before a stationary camera" thus emphasizing the remarkable changes in photography that Griffith brought about. Hence Choice C is the correct answer.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts