Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:59

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33129 [8]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33129 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33129 [0]
Send PM
Re: QOTD # 10 X-ray examination of a recently discovered painti [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Too much.

Regads
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Send PM
Why not option B ?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33129 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Because we care about of the authenticity to find our assumption. B talks about the appearance in his paintings.

Hope this helps.

Ask for further assistance if you do need.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Yiddo_Bhushan wrote:
Why not option B ?

option (B) is a close call : It states many, not all paintings -> what if one one painting has been found without the under-image; this may invalidate the option.
so (B) is not correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Please explain why not D?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
D) A painted canvas cannot be reliably attributed to an artist unless the authenticity of any underimage that painting might contain can be reliably attributed to the artist.

The assumption is that even though another type of painting which is not made by Van Gogh would NOT contain an underlying image

D instead talks about any generally painted canvas which authenticity can not be attributed to another artist.

All that means: out of scope. We care about Van Gogh and the underlined image in his works.

Ask for further assistance.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Yeah, this argument passage is certainly on the harder side. It reminds me of exactly why I'm taking the GRE instead of the LSAT for law school. Fifty percent of the LSAT is made up of EXACTLY these kinds of questions (logical reasoning), and these questions are the sole reason why I'm taking the GRE rather than the LSAT. I take wayyy too long reading these things and trying to wrap my head around them that I would certainly run out of time on the LSAT. Thankfully, the GRE only has 1 or 2 of these types of questions in each Verbal section, and I always save them for very last.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Explanation

The passage’s argument makes a case for the painting’s being an authentic van Gogh self-portrait; it cites as evidence the fact that the canvas’s painted-over image is that of a woman who appears in other van Gogh paintings. This argument assumes that another artist would not have painted over the original image of the woman, so the correct answer is Choice C. Since the argument does not depend upon the painting’s stylistic elements or upon the commonalities between this and other van Gogh paintings, Choices A and B are incorrect. Choices D and E establish criteria for attribution beyond the passage’s argument, so they are incorrect as well.

I’m going to employ the methods from David Kiloran’s PowerScore Logical Reasoning Bible.

First you need to understand that the category belongs to the Justify the Conclusion group.

That said you need to break down the relevant premises and the conclusion.

Premise 1: Either van Gogh or another painter covered the first painting

In logical notation we denote “van Gogh painted the painting” as V and another “painter painted the painting” as P.

Thus the logical notation for Premise 1 is:

P —> V
V —> P

These are logical equivalent since they are contrapositives.

Conclusion: Because the face of the woman in the underimage also appears on canvases van Gogh is known to have painted, the surface painting must be an authentic self-portrait by van Gogh

Let “Woman in the under image also appears on canvases van Gogh is known to have painted” as W and “the surface painting must be an authentic self-portrait by van Gogh” is equivalent to “van Gogh painted the painting” so it is also V

Thus the logical notation for Conclusion is:

W —> V

So in summary we have:

P1: P —> V; V —> P
C: W—> V

We need another premise P2 that allows us to go from P1 to C.

The only premise that allows us to do this is W—>P because W—>P + P —> V = W—>P —> V = W —> V which is the conclusion C.

The only answer that has P2 is Answer choice C which is the logical contrapositive of P2:

“Any painted canvas incorrectly attributed to van Gogh would not contain an underimage of a subject that appears in authentic paintings by that artist.”

This is essentially saying P—>W which equals W—>P.

Although it may seem complicated based on what I wrote. If you understand the method and now how to break down the problem into logical steps you can breeze through this problem in about 30 seconds. I highly recommend that PowerScore book. It requires a learning curve to learn the logic, but the payoff is immense in terms of learning to dealing with any CR problem efficiently and easily.

Originally posted by abaskm on 28 Oct 2020, 07:52.
Last edited by abaskm on 06 Dec 2020, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
In the argument presented, X-ray of painting reveals presence of underimage of women. He further makes conclusion that Because another painting that has similar kind of underimage, we can safely say that Original painting in question was painted by Van Gogh. Now to make this conclusion author must assume that(pre-thinking):
This is painting style that is only used by Van Gogh.
Keeping this in mind lets analyze options:
Quick analysis:
A. Naaaahhhh
B. May be
C. May be
D. This doesn't talks about if we can relate the painting in question to Van gogh or not. This is just a fact statement. So I won't pick this.
E. No.

Because B C are very close, we must call negation technique to finalize options.
Negate B: (None/less that 50%) painted canvases that can be reliably attributed to van Gogh contain underimages of subjects that appear on at least one other canvas that van Gogh is known to have painted.
If None of the paintings, which belong to Van Gogh, contains underimage: then conclusion breaks.....It is good
Just because we have "many paintings" written in option, there is another possibility to be evaluated: if some i.e. 1 or 2 paintings that is attributed to Van Gogh contains underimage, Conclusions strengthens....Nope This can not be our assumption.

Collected from GMAT club memeber sweetkriti
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
There is no reason in my opinion to collect the answers from GC.

We are an independent board though related.

provide your reasoning for the question independently. it is the best way to train

We do have also enough expert here to help you :wink:

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 425
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Timer is missing on this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
QOTD # 10 X-ray examination of a recently discovered painti [#permalink]
This was very tough. I thought about the explanation from different angles and I think this is the clearest one:

Reading only the question, the answer we are looking for is "This must be a Van Gogh painting if an underimage exclusively shows up under Van Gogh's painting."

B) Does not verify that the underimages exist exclusively under VG (Van Gogh).
Example: If there were 100,000 paintings of Queen Sarah's face and VG bought 1,000 of those paintings, just because we find 999 underimages of Queen Sarah's face in VG-certified paintings does not mean ALL unidentified paintings with Queen Sarah's underimage is VG. VG only owns a subset of Queen Sarah's paintings, so Queen Sarah's underimage cannot be used to authenticate VG paintings.

C) Is awkwardly, but intentionally phrased as a double-negative. It states that if we know for certain that an image is 1) NOT VG, and 2) does NOT contain an underimage that VG uses, then we know that the underimage is exclusive to VG. Which means we can use this underimage as a clue to validate the authenticity of a VG painting.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts