Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Re: Reading Comprehension- GRE vs GMAT [#permalink]
Hi All,

GRE RC and GMAT RC have a great deal in common - they're written with the same general level of sophistication, and the question types (and common wrong answers) are essentially the same. However, GRE prompts tend to be shorter and require a bit less work from you (since you have far less time per question on the GRE than you do on the GMAT). Since RC is a standard 'element' of the GRE, you CAN learn proper Tactics to make RC a relatively easy set of questions to deal with.

Kanav,

Why are you preparing for BOTH Exams? That sounds like a lot of extra work (especially if you score at a high-enough level on one of the Exams so that taking the other one becomes unnecessary).

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

It's good to see you here on the GRE club as well. I wanted to ask you since you have a perfect score on the GRE. If I ever need practice, should one be practicing questions like critical reasoning and RC from the OG of the GMAT? Is that a good idea?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bfarooq,

I'm glad to be here. The only situation in which I would recommend that someone use practice materials from a DIFFERENT type of standardized test is if that person has 'run out' of acceptable practice materials for their current test. So, if you're early-on in your GRE studies, then you should stick with GRE-centric materials. If you've been studying for some time, and you've worked through LOTS of GRE materials without improving much, then it would be worth evaluating HOW you've been studying (as there might be some flaws in your approach).

GMAT CR and RC materials are generally wordier/tougher when compared to their GRE Verbal counterparts; they are 'close enough' to their counterparts though, so that they could be useful if you were out of quality GRE study materials. However, if you can't seem to improve by using GRE materials, then I wouldn't expect you to suddenly improve by using GMAT practice resources. In that way, I would ultimately suggest that you learn some new Tactics, then go back to rework the GRE material that you've already used.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks so much Rich!

Yes, I am just beginning my studies. So, as I understand it, there is one Office Guide, and then we have 1 verbal reasoning OG and 1 math OG is that correct? Plus, the Poweper Prep II (2 tests) and 2 practice tests in the OG?

I just wanted to know if these are the only 'official' practice materials out there!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bfarooq,

There has always been a vocal 'sub-group' of Test Takers who believe that the only "good" practice materials are Official materials (and everything else is simply not useful). That type of thinking is remarkably immature and by its nature, limiting. GRE questions tend to be fairly straight-forward and every aspect of the Test is predictable (even the high-level vocabulary that shows up in the Verbal section is predictable - it's drawn from an established list of frequently used "big words"). By extension, you can train with non-Official material and not only learn all of the necessary content, but also learn all of the valuable Tactics, patterns and 'secrets' to the GRE.

Your 'list' is essentially all of the Official material. If you're going to limit yourself to those practice resources though, then you might end up limiting how high you score on Test Day.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgreRichC wrote:
Hi bfarooq,

There has always been a vocal 'sub-group' of Test Takers who believe that the only "good" practice materials are Official materials (and everything else is simply not useful). That type of thinking is remarkably immature and by its nature, limiting. GRE questions tend to be fairly straight-forward and every aspect of the Test is predictable (even the high-level vocabulary that shows up in the Verbal section is predictable - it's drawn from an established list of frequently used "big words"). By extension, you can train with non-Official material and not only learn all of the necessary content, but also learn all of the valuable Tactics, patterns and 'secrets' to the GRE.

Your 'list' is essentially all of the Official material. If you're going to limit yourself to those practice resources though, then you might end up limiting how high you score on Test Day.

Rich

I actually have the Magoosh course as well as the manhattan tests for practice. I just wanted to know if that was all the materials I listed as I know GMAC came out with new expansion packs and the GRE is still using old tests and havent really come up with new OG's.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bfarooq,

Apparently, I can't post links yet, but a list of all of the Official ETS GRE materials can be found here at the Official website (gre . org)

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GRE 1: Q164 V152
Send PM
Is it advisable to do Short passages for GMAT for GRE RC practise i am almost done with all official and extra GRE material but need more RC for practise
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi dragonkiller589,

Which specific GRE materials have you worked through? Working through shorter GMAT RC prompts for additional practice would probably be okay, but it's not clear whether there are other GRE-based resources that you could be using or not.

Rich
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Reading Comprehension- GRE vs GMAT [#permalink]
hello expert,
how do i improve my rc accuracy .....
currently 50-55 and needed accuracy 75+ any suggestion
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33115 [0]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Expert Reply
void wrote:
hello expert,
how do i improve my rc accuracy .....
currently 50-55 and needed accuracy 75+ any suggestion

Hi

the strategy you should follow is to read and understand the passage and then reply to the questions without going back and forth between the passage and the questions themselves

Read he and let me know void if you need further assistance

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/a-scienti ... tml#p62100
regards
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Verbal Expert
28634 posts