Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MyGuru Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
MyGuru Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Re: Study both Math and Verbal together or one after another? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ThantZin wrote:
MyGuruSteve wrote:
ThantZin wrote:
I am in my first week of study and only focusing Math while studying Magoosh vocab flashcards at the moment. Should I finish Math first before studying Verbal strategies, or would splitting time between the two more productive?

I would appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

Every test-taker is different, of course, so what works best for some may not necessarily be the best approach for others. That said, I'd recommend doing both, but be methodical about it. Over the course of a week of practice, it's good to cover both verbal and quant so that you're up to date on each, and you don't let anything fall by the wayside.

It's ok to stagger them out, though: e.g. verbal on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and quant Tuesday, Thursday, and one day over the weekend. This works particularly well if your study periods are short, say an hour or an hour and a half. If you're studying for longer periods at a time, then it can be fine to mix it up even over a single day. What you want to avoid is a situation in which you've been studying verbal for 3 weeks, but you've forgotten all of the quant that you picked up along the way!

I'd also recommend consistent vocabulary review, no matter what else you're doing. It's easy, doesn't require too much thought, but comprises a large part of the verbal section--plus, it's always important to build up a solid vocabulary! Whether you're using flashcards, word lists, an app, or some other approach, keep this going as background review. You might also do the same for basic math concepts, if you need them (you can use flashcards, cheat sheets, etc)

Hope that helps!

Steve

Thank you Steve. That was helpful. I decided to go for full math till end of this week while studying vocabs, then split between two since week 2. Appreciate your suggestions.

Sure thing--sounds like you've got a good plan laid out. Good luck!
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Verbal Expert
28623 posts