Last visit was: 25 May 2024, 10:32 It is currently 25 May 2024, 10:32

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Joined: 18 Apr 2015
Posts: 28812
Own Kudos [?]: 33400 [3]
Given Kudos: 25278
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2020
Posts: 1833
Own Kudos [?]: 2127 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Oct 2020
Posts: 33
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Joined: 09 Jan 2021
Posts: 576
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [2]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: The area of triangle ABC [#permalink]
2
mrk9414 wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Attachment:
GRE The area of triangular region ABC.jpg



Quantity A
Quantity B
The area of triangular region ABC
The area of triangular region ADC



A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Kudos for the right answer and explanation
Question part of the project GRE Quantitative Reasoning Daily Challenge - (2021) EDITION
GRE - Math Book



can someone please solve this problem for me?

thanking you in advance for your kidness



Hi There!

In order to find the area of the triangle we need base and height. For the triangle above (ABC) we are given that the height is 5 and one of the side is 13 thus, using Pythagoras triplet we know the base will be 12+12=24

Now for the triangle below (ADC), we know the base is 24 but we do not know the height. Also we are not sure that angle ADC is 90 degrees to use the Pythagoras theorem to find the other side.

Thus, we only know are of one triangle and not the area of other

Therefore, the relationship cannot be determined.

IMO D

Let me know if you have further questions!

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Oct 2020
Posts: 33
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
The area of triangle ABC [#permalink]
1
Ks1859 wrote:
Hi There!

In order to find the area of the triangle we need base and height. For the triangle above (ABC) we are given that the height is 5 and one of the side is 13 thus, using Pythagoras triplet we know the base will be 12+12=24

Now for the triangle below (ADC), we know the base is 24 but we do not know the height. Also we are not sure that angle ADC is 90 degrees to use the Pythagoras theorem to find the other side.

Thus, we only know are of one triangle and not the area of other

Therefore, the relationship cannot be determined.

IMO D

Let me know if you have further questions!

Hope this helps!



thanks for your quick response.

but in triangle ADC it mentioned that a small triangle is 90 degrees then technically bigger part of the ADC should also be a right angle triangle.

as we have a hyp of small which might helps in finding the height of the triangle ?

why can't we do this?
Retired Moderator
Joined: 09 Jan 2021
Posts: 576
Own Kudos [?]: 839 [1]
Given Kudos: 194
GRE 1: Q167 V156
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: The area of triangle ABC [#permalink]
1
mrk9414 wrote:

thanks for your quick response.

but in triangle ADC it mentioned that a small triangle is 90 degrees then technically bigger part of the ADC should also be a right angle triangle.

as we have a hyp of small which might helps in finding the height of the triangle ?

why can't we do this?



Okay, so lets say the height is DM. And we know one side is 90. Just for assumption, consider angle ADM=60 degrees, it is also possible that CDM is also 60 degrees in this case the angle corresponds to 120 degrees and is not a right angle. It could be a right angle triangle, but according to the given information, this assumption is a bit too wide to be made as this information is also open to other assumption.

And never trust the figures on GRE until and unless stated, as this is one of the best trick ETS uses to deceive.

Hope this helps!
Retired Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2020
Posts: 1833
Own Kudos [?]: 2127 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Re: The area of triangle ABC [#permalink]
1
Hey,

No assumptions should be there. Plus can you please share your way as I didn't understand
" technically bigger part of the ADC should also be a right angle triangle.
as we have a hyp of small which might helps in finding the height of the triangle ?
"


mrk9414 wrote:

thanks for your quick response.

but in triangle ADC it mentioned that a small triangle is 90 degrees then technically bigger part of the ADC should also be a right angle triangle.

as we have a hyp of small which might helps in finding the height of the triangle ?

why can't we do this?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Oct 2020
Posts: 33
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: The area of triangle ABC [#permalink]
rx10 wrote:
Hey,

No assumptions should be there. Plus can you please share your way as I didn't understand
" technically bigger part of the ADC should also be a right angle triangle.
as we have a hyp of small which might helps in finding the height of the triangle?
"


mrk9414 wrote:

thanks for your quick response.

but in triangle ADC it mentioned that a small triangle is 90 degrees then technically bigger part of the ADC should also be a right angle triangle.

as we have a hyp of small which might helps in finding the height of the triangle?

why can't we do this?



When it's mentioned that AMD is 90 degrees, technically CMD should also be 90 degrees. by triplet 30-60-90 we can find out the height "DM" to solve the problem . But, now I realise that It could also be right angle triangle or a special right-angle triangle (90-45-45).

Please share your opinion on this
Attachments

InkedScreenshot_13_LI.jpg
InkedScreenshot_13_LI.jpg [ 804.42 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]

Retired Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2020
Posts: 1833
Own Kudos [?]: 2127 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
The area of triangle ABC [#permalink]
2
All these are assumptions and as Ks1859 had pointed out, these all are tricks.

The triangle can be 30-60-90 ; 45-45-90 ; 10-80-90 or any other.

Consider all the figure with caution and do no make any assumptions unless the conditions are explicitly stated in the stem.

mrk9414 wrote:

When it's mentioned that AMD is 90 degrees, technically CMD should also be 90 degrees. by triplet 30-60-90 we can find out the height "DM" to solve the problem . But, now I realise that It could also be right angle triangle or a special right-angle triangle (90-45-45).

Please share your opinion on this
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Moderator
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne