Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [1]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Send PM
Re: The lawyer’s explosive, rude remarks convinced many that he [#permalink]
aloksharma911 wrote:
Why can't be it indifferent in first blank ?

votalite is more suitable in this context. The word has the meaning of 2-face.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
volatile
virtuous
facetious
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
The clue for first two blanks is rude and explosive character. What kind of person will be of this character, that person will be volatile and ignoble. And how the career of such a person will be? It will be dangerous. So, precarious will be the third blank’s perfect fit.
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
The lawyer’s explosive, rude remarks convinced many that he was (i) _______ and of (ii) _______ character, suddenly making his future as a politician seem (iii) _______ .

Since the character is decided by his explosive and rude remarks, volatile - which means quickly evaporating and hence almost explosive is the word for the first blank. For the second blank, we can eliminate courageous and virtuous, both of which are positive qualities, and hence ignoble is the correct choice.

Since a politician has to be careful with his words and be measured in discourse, in order to survive the vicissitudes of political life, somebody bursting out rudely is going to be doing poorly as a politician. He will be endangering his political career with that sort of attitude. Hence precarious is the word for the third blank.

precarious - not securely held or in position; dangerously likely to fall or collapse.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Volatile, Ignoble , Precarious
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
aloksharma911 wrote:
Why can't be it indifferent in first blank ?

Volatile is suitable since "explosive" is an adjective used to describe the lawyer. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
The lawyer’s explosive, rude remarks convinced many that he [#permalink]
Such a shitty lawyer! I feel bad for you
I have an exciting story that happened with my lawyer friend and me. My lawyer friend is 12 years older than me. We are excellent friends since childhood. When I graduated from high school https://www.vocationaltraininghq.com/how-to-become/paralegal/, he took me as his assistant. When we were approached by a family who wanted a divorce, we had a case, but they could not divide the acquired property. As a result, after the trial, the judge decided that they should divide everything in half. The guy who turned to us took a chainsaw and cut all the property in half, ruining absolutely everything. His ex-wife was shocked when she saw all the things cut in half and decided to sue him, but the court rejected her request to pay her compensation because her husband had good lawyers.:)

Originally posted by IanPoole on 17 Jul 2021, 07:56.
Last edited by IanPoole on 05 Aug 2021, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
GRE 1: Q154 V167
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
The lawyer’s explosive, rude remarks convinced many that he [#permalink]
1. If he made rude remarks out of the blue, he would be considered volatile. Hence, C.
2. Although it could be considered courageous to make rude marks outspokenly, it's probably more likely to be ignoble -- not honorable. Typically, you don't want to make outspokenly rude remarks in court; thus, it would be considered dishonorable; hence, F.
3. If he's rude and ignoble, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for his future to be guaranteed. Facetious is beside the point. Precarious -- reflecting uncertainty -- fits best. Hence, H.

C, F, H.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts