Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:21

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33138 [1]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33138 [0]
Send PM
Re: Though most tennis players generally strive to strike the ba [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
The center of percussion constitutes a second sweet spot because a tennis player's wrist typically is placed next to the end of the racket's handle. When the player strikes the ball at the center of percussion, her wrist is jerked neither forward nor backward, and she experiences a relatively smooth, comfortable tennis stroke.

From this, you could certainly infer that C is correct. However, the passage nowhere is mentioned a comparison between a ball that hits the primary and secondary sweet spot.

In this is a bit confusing the formulation of C. Notwithstanding, C is correct.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Quote:
The center of percussion constitutes a second sweet spot because a tennis player's wrist typically is placed next to the end of the racket's handle. When the player strikes the ball at the center of percussion, her wrist is jerked neither forward nor backward, and she experiences a relatively smooth, comfortable tennis stroke.

From this, you could certainly infer that C is correct. However, the passage nowhere is mentioned a comparison between a ball that hits the primary and secondary sweet spot.

In this is a bit confusing the formulation of C. Notwithstanding, C is correct.

Regards

Thank you for your feedback. I'm still confused by C but you win some and let others go.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
The problem here is actually this

Quote:
Allow for a cleaner stroke than a ball striking a racket's primary sweet spot

From the red part, you certainly might infer that C is correct.

However, from the bold part NO. Where is the comparison ??

In this tiny details, the difference between the OG material and a good NON official material is all about.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
The problem here is actually this

Quote:
Allow for a cleaner stroke than a ball striking a racket's primary sweet spot

From the red part, you certainly might infer that C is correct.

However, from the bold part NO. Where is the comparison ??

In this tiny details, the difference between the OG material and a good NON official material is all about.

Regards

You are excellent in teaching!
If only I was aware of this site before.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I have question with the fifth question.
The answer choice of this is C--(C) Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the center of percussion can result in a jarring feeling.
Then how about the sweet spot referred in the first paragraph?
thanks
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Not quite sure to get what you do mean.

However, c is correct because if the ball hits exactly the center or percussion the result is neutral.

Other than this point, the racket always transmits one effect or another to the wrist and forearm of the player.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Question 2, Option D:
the end of the handle of the racket will jerk forward after striking the ball unless the ball strikes the racket's center of mass

I believe that this option is wrong (and so is an answer as well) because of the following statement from para 2:
Quote:
Depending on where the ball strikes the racket face, one or the other of these motions will predominate.

The end of the handle may not jerk forward even if the ball does not strike the racket's centre of mass.
The quote says that the premoninance of the motion will depend on where on the racket face the ball hits.
There are spots on the racket face other than centre of percussion and centre of mass obviously. We don't know what might happen there.

Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Could someone explain why the answer to the second question is (C)? I thought it was made clear that hitting the ball at COP reduces jerk. option (D) because COM talks about rotational motion alone. COM = no rotation; no COM = rotation, nothing about handle being jerked.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
addy123 wrote:
Could someone explain why the answer to the second question is (C)? I thought it was made clear that hitting the ball at COP reduces jerk. option (D) because COM talks about rotational motion alone. COM = no rotation; no COM = rotation, nothing about handle being jerked.

Second question's answer is (A).
What are you talking about?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I have question with the fifth question.
The answer choice of this is C--(C) Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the center of percussion can result in a jarring feeling.
Then how about the sweet spot referred in the first paragraph?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I think the answer to 2nd question can also be D.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Guys please, this post is turning a bit in a mess.

When you read and do not understand a question start always from which is the OA and then ask for the answer/s you do not understand. Otherwise, I get lost in helping you.

Now, for the second question, the question itself is an EXCEPT question, which means that ALL the answer choices are mentioned in the passage and so correct but one which is NOT clearly or as an inference choice in the passage. It is completely OFF. Therefore, it is the right answer.

Be careful before to jump to the conclusion which is right and which is wrong. Read the stem carefully.

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
''a penny that has been struck near its edge'' plz explain meaning of this phrase
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
the racket would additionally experience a rotational motion around its center of mass—much as a penny that has been struck near its edge

spin more and more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Carcass - I know this is an older question, but could you please help me out with question 5?

Answer is C - "(C) Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the center of percussion can result in a jarring feeling."

However based on discussion in the passage, there are 2 spots where one doesn't experience any vibrations. The traditional sweet spot and the center of percussion. The statement above implies that only it is only the "center of percussion" that prevents vibrations.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Though most tennis players generally strive to strike the ba [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Not true what you said

Your statement

(C) Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the center of percussion can result in a jarring feeling.

The statement above implies that only it is only the "center of percussion" that prevents vibrations.

The passage does not mention that ONLY if you hit the sweet spot - center of percussion you do not have vibrations AT ALL, and in other spots YEs or maybe.

Quote:
When the player strikes the ball at the center of percussion, her wrist is jerked neither forward nor backward, and she experiences a [u]relatively smooth[u], comfortable tennis stroke.

relatively smooth means that even at the center of percussion you can experience some sort of vibration and it is also true the other way around: in other spots, you can have NO vibrations or just a few and have some sort of comfort hitting the tennis ball

C is the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Though most tennis players generally strive to strike the ba [#permalink]
Hi Carcass,

Thanks for your post. I apologize, I'm not sure I fully understand what you wrote. The quote in my previous post is the quote from the correct answer choice, it wasn't my statement.

quote from passage,
Quote:
The reason for this lack of motion is that the force on the upper part of the hand would be equal and opposite to the force on the lower part of the hand, resulting in no net force on the tennis players’ hand or forearm. The center of percussion constitutes a second sweet spot because a tennis player's wrist typically is placed next to the end of the racket's handle.

This "no net force" = no jarring feeling is what I inferred.
Additionally this section says, center of percussion is a second sweet spot

Thus from what I gather, the actual answer - Choice C (question 5) doesn't exactly fit into this sentence, because it says "other than the center of percussion" that implies this is the only spot one on the racket.

quote from answer choice,
Quote:
Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the center of percussion can result in a jarring feeling.

Now if this answer was reworded as follows, I would have definitely picked C.
Striking a tennis ball at a spot other than the sweet spot and center of percussion can result in a jarring feeling.

Thank you again for posting detailed replies, I truly appreciate the effort you are putting into this forum !
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts