Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Totally frustrated [#permalink]
As for the verbal:
1- SC and SE; I have 2 issues here.
A) Sometimes I don't know the meanings of all the answer choices so I start to eliminate but when I couldn't eliminate more I guess between two or 3 choices but a wrong guess
B) I understand all the answer choices but the sentence I don't understand it well. Though I'm trying to find a relation between the sentence and the choices, as I believe the answer is in the sentence.

2- RC :
1- In verbal, to utilize the time I guess when the long passage pops up all the questions that are related.
2- I read alot about the strategies but actually I don't remember someone worked. The most beneficial that as Quick I read I score higher.

3- CR:
overall no problems
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I would like to add, that I recognize that the solution will be easier if I apply PITA strategy.
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi. It seems you solved a lot of questions.... which is good practice but actual study study materials did you use?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Nothing, i solve and when i get stuck or wrong answer i revise the concept from several reaources

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 259
GRE 1: Q165 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asmakan wrote:
Nothing, i solve and when i get stuck or wrong answer i revise the concept from several reaources

Got it. Then you score is in line with what you should expect based on that strategy. It is definitely possible to improve but it takes a lot of effort and playing BATTLESHIP to hit the topics you need to study and then to study them. it's like cleaning the house but instead of taking and vacuuming the whole floor, using tiny Q-tips to clean 1 square inch at a time. I would be frustrated too :x
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
What do u suggest

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
no more suggestions guys ??
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33112 [0]
Given Kudos: 25173
Send PM
Expert Reply
From what I see, overall, you practice a lot but clearly you do not get the most in terms of benefits from all the process.

1) I am always more convinced that the non-official material must be used only to consolidate concepts and to speed up the process.

For instance, solve questions about exponents to know every single possible rules or trick. The go for the Official questions in that specif area.

2) Slow on quant means only one thing: lack of confidence and not a perfect mastering of the concepts overall.

3) Usually, the students in the mid-low range tend more heavenly to use a strategy such as picking numbers. Sometimes is good but also the flexibility you should have is king. Sometimes picking numbers you waste time and instead of thinking conceptually up-front the question is faster in solving it.

4) The same is for SE and TC: maybe to solve the same question you could use the math strategy: positive versus the negative side of the sentence. Or the time shift. Or the overall meaning. Or the block of four strategy. Or pairing strategy. Or word contrast. Maybe 3 or four strategy at once in the most difficult 3 blanks.

5) as for RC, that is a beast. It requires time and a good master of the English Language, especially in complex and long passages. The tips are water in the desert.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Asmakan wrote:
no more suggestions guys ??

GRE tests do burn your brain cells. It is a lengthy and intense test as well. I suggest you to put a timer on the side when you practice and get used to the pace of GRE tests. Also, during the test, keep calm. In verbal section, do the readings first, and do the sentence completions next. Having too many words you don't know does affect you in the later readings especially when you're mentally exhausted.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Verbal Expert
28633 posts