Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [8]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [12]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10616 [6]
GRE 1: Q167 V156
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: United States and the Soviet Union in terms of crop yields [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Explanation

If crop yield per planted acre was less in the Soviet Union than it was in the United States, yet crop yield per total (planted plus fallow) agricultural acreage was greater in the Soviet Union than it was in the United States, the percentage of the total acreage that was left fallow must have been lower in the Soviet Union than in the United States.

Therefore, Choice A is the correct answer. Since the information provided in the paragraph is given in terms of yield per acre, no conclusion can be drawn about actual acreage, so Choices B, C, and D are all incorrect. Similarly, it is impossible to determine the total volume of crops produced in the Soviet Union, so Choice E is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Can anyone give the reason why A is correct . i feel very difficult to comprehend the exp
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
when only planted acreage is compared

S < US

When total agricultural acreage

S > US

We care only of percentage of total agricultural acreage

if you read the other answer choice they talk about planted acreage or volume of the acreage NOT percentage.

You should read very carefully.

A is the best choice.

Please explain in details. It is very tough question indeed.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33116 [5]
Given Kudos: 25175
Send PM
Expert Reply
1)
A ten-year comparison between the United States and the Soviet Union in terms of crop yields per acre revealed that when only planted acreage is compared, Soviet yields were equal to 68 percent of United States yields.

Here, we are focusing on the crop yielded PER acre. However, it is crucial to keep in mind that we are comparing ONLY the planted land
For instance, US cultivate 1000 acreage and from these, it yields 100 kg of brocccoli.
Russia of the same extension has 6.8 kg of broccoli

2)
When total agricultural acreage (planted acreage plus fallow acreage) is compared, however, Soviet yield was 114 percent of United States yield.

From the information above, which of the following can be most reliably inferred about United States and Soviet agriculture during the ten-year period?

A A higher percentage of total agricultural acreage was fallow in the United States than in the Soviet Union.

This is the correct choice. From what I have highlighted above is the only thing we can infer. For russia to have 114% means that the acreage it cultivates is almost if not in its entirety exploited

B The United States had more fallow acreage than planted acreage.

This is information is only partial if any

C Fewer total acres of available agricultural land were fallow in the Soviet Union than in the United States.

The total acres area can not be inferred because we do not have enough information

D The Soviet Union had more planted acreage than fallow acreage.

We do have only information about % not quantities of planted land

E The Soviet Union produced a greater volume of crops than the United States produced.

The volume is out of scope

Hopèe now is more clear than before to you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Schools: MBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bubidag wrote:
My advice for everyone here would be to imagine that we have the same acreage at the beginning.

Meaning if we compare 100 acreage from Soviet Union and USA we will get, 68% yield and 100% yield, respectively.

Now we can see that the American yield will be slightly diluted with the addition of fallow acreage, this indicated by having 114% Soviet yield and 100% American yield.

The next step would be to imagine what could cause the yield to get diluted:

In all honesty since it is stated that it is fallow (meaning that it yields nothing) we are able to assume that we will be having more fallow land added to US than to Soviet.

A math way of thinking about it is-->(original scenario 68(crop)/100(acreage) Soviet-------100/100US)-----(second scenario----->we imagine we add some increment to soviet that is so small that we can neglect it 68/100 SOVIET----100/167( meaning we add the additional acreage in amount of 67) US-->this yielding back about 114% Soviet of US

Hi, Thanks for the explanation.
I have once concern.

I understood the 1st part that if we compare 100 planted acreage(PA) from Soviet Union and USA we will get, 68% yield and 100% yield, respectively.
PA(Soviet)=0.68PA(US)
But in the 2nd part Soviet has 114% of the Total Acreage(TA) of that of US.

and TA=PA+fallow
Hence TA(Soviet)=114/100[TA(US)]
[PA+fallow](Soviet)=114/100[PA+fallow](US)
0.68PA(US)+fallow(Soviet)=1.14PA(US)+1.14fallow(US)
fallow(Soviet)=0.46PA(US)+1.14fallow(US)
Hence, by this logic
fallow(Soviet)>fallow(US)

Please tell me where I am wrong and what could have been the proper method
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
suramya26 wrote:
bubidag wrote:
My advice for everyone here would be to imagine that we have the same acreage at the beginning.

Meaning if we compare 100 acreage from Soviet Union and USA we will get, 68% yield and 100% yield, respectively.

Now we can see that the American yield will be slightly diluted with the addition of fallow acreage, this indicated by having 114% Soviet yield and 100% American yield.

The next step would be to imagine what could cause the yield to get diluted:

In all honesty since it is stated that it is fallow (meaning that it yields nothing) we are able to assume that we will be having more fallow land added to US than to Soviet.

A math way of thinking about it is-->(original scenario 68(crop)/100(acreage) Soviet-------100/100US)-----(second scenario----->we imagine we add some increment to soviet that is so small that we can neglect it 68/100 SOVIET----100/167( meaning we add the additional acreage in amount of 67) US-->this yielding back about 114% Soviet of US

Hi, Thanks for the explanation.
I have once concern.

I understood the 1st part that if we compare 100 planted acreage(PA) from Soviet Union and USA we will get, 68% yield and 100% yield, respectively.
PA(Soviet)=0.68PA(US)
But in the 2nd part Soviet has 114% of the Total Acreage(TA) of that of US.

and TA=PA+fallow
Hence TA(Soviet)=114/100[TA(US)]
[PA+fallow](Soviet)=114/100[PA+fallow](US)
0.68PA(US)+fallow(Soviet)=1.14PA(US)+1.14fallow(US)
fallow(Soviet)=0.46PA(US)+1.14fallow(US)
Hence, by this logic
fallow(Soviet)>fallow(US)

Please tell me where I am wrong and what could have been the proper method

I have the same doubt about it. I think the question the better method to answer this is using elimination (B to E options don't talk about percentage but about total and this is not possible to infer from the argument. Because if we analyze the question I think is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
It seems like the catch is YIELD - if the yield is more, then the fallow area will be less.
In the first look, it seems like A is incorrect. But, when we consider yield, it is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I didn't think this was a great passage. The answers assume that US and Soviet agricultural practices are the same. We do not know that. US could have better farming technologies or better crop strains. Inferences about fallow land seemed presumptuous.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [2]
Given Kudos: 144
Send PM
My Understanding.

Per acre - US - 100 KG Wheat SU - 68 KG Wheat.
Per 10 acres - US - 1000 KG Wheat SU - 680 KG Wheat.

Add x Acres fallow (Zero yeild) for US , y Acres for SU - Then - As per passage US - 100 SU - 114 Meaning - The number of Fallow acres added for soviets is lesser than that of the us. If it was the same then US Yield should have been more. Hence Answer A - Hope this helps.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts