Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33146 [7]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q169 V157
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33146 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Re: Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: [#permalink]
Since I find the 25q to be quite excessive, yet I managed to get the correct answer, I will try to provide my explanation to the q.

25. It can be inferred from the passage that the author's conclusion that Einstein's approach is "erroneous" might have to be modified because

Now for me b) was a winner from the first observance of it; however, I had reservations for it.

Now b.) "some experimental tests of Einstein's theory do not disconfirm the hidden-parameter theory of quantum mechanics" should be correct in my eyes due to the fact that he truly never really disputes the theory, he himself just tries to give a better understanding of it, a fuller picture to something that he seems to think could be better than it is already. Thereby, erroneous his approach is not, perhaps slightly flawed, yet still not completely wrong, since it is based in large on the theory.

If wrong, please feel free to correct me
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
bubidag wrote:
Since I find the 25q to be quite excessive, yet I managed to get the correct answer, I will try to provide my explanation to the q.

25. It can be inferred from the passage that the author's conclusion that Einstein's approach is "erroneous" might have to be modified because

Now for me b) was a winner from the first observance of it; however, I had reservations for it.

Now b.) "some experimental tests of Einstein's theory do not disconfirm the hidden-parameter theory of quantum mechanics" should be correct in my eyes due to the fact that he truly never really disputes the theory, he himself just tries to give a better understanding of it, a fuller picture to something that he seems to think could be better than it is already. Thereby, erroneous his approach is not, perhaps slightly flawed, yet still not completely wrong, since it is based in large on the theory.

Additionally, Some of the test results observed in the experiment do not oppose Einstein’s hypothesis. So, it can be inferred that Einstein’s approach was not completely wrong.

Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
bubidag wrote:

Additionally, Some of the test results observed in the experiment do not oppose Einstein’s hypothesis. So, it can be inferred that Einstein’s approach was not completely wrong.

Hope that helps!

By "some of the test results", is this in relation to "most experiments" phrase in the last sentence? Or is there some other hint in the passage that implies this?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
Zohair123 wrote:
theBrahmaTiger wrote:
bubidag wrote:

Hope that helps!

By "some of the test results", is this in relation to "most experiments" phrase in the last sentence? Or is there some other hint in the passage that implies this?

yes, The last sentence is being alluded there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Any explanation for 24 please?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
anasp99 wrote:

Though first I answered it with approval, later I find that skepticism is the right answer. Skepticism means doubt or disposition about a subject: this goes with the passage fully not approval. Einstein didn't fully disapprove of it rather he raised questions or doubts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Redfinger wrote:
anasp99 wrote:

Though first I answered it with approval, later I find that skepticism is the right answer. Skepticism means doubt or disposition about a subject: this goes with the passage fully not approval. Einstein didn't fully disapprove of it rather he raised questions or doubts.

But here we are talking with respect to author not Einstein right?
If someone can help with a 24? It will be great
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33146 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Einstein's ideas have been tested by experiments performed since his death, and as most of these experiments support traditional quantum mechanics, Einstein's approach is almost certainly erroneous.

(A) approval

No because the author is fairly neutral

(B) surprise

no at all

(C) indifference

no the argument matters

(D) apprehension

out of scope

(E) skepticism

yes for the sentence above

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
explanation for 27?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
also 26?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2119 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
GRE 1: Q168 V157

GRE 2: Q167 V161
Send PM
Hey,

Consider this from the passage: Einstein remained strongly dissatisfied with the theory throughout his life, though he did not maintain that quantum mechanics is wrong. Rather, he held that it is incomplete

From this, we can say that Einstein had a problem with the nature of quantum mechanics it was based on probabilities.

Answer B
TimTam wrote:
also 26?

Here is the solution of Q27: https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/quantum-m ... tml#p42951

TimTam wrote:
explanation for 27?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods for accurately calculating the results of diverse experiments, especially with minute particles. The predictions of quantum mechanics, however, give only the probability of an event, not a deterministic statement of whether or not the event will occur.

The theory is great especially with minute particles. But it gives us the probability NOT if the event will occur or not, for sure

Because of this probabilism, Einstein remained strongly dissatisfied with the theory throughout his life, though he did not maintain that quantum mechanics is wrong.

Einstein was satisfied with the theory even though it was not perfect

Rather, he held that it is incomplete: in quantum mechanics the motion of a particle must be described in terms of probabilities, he argued, only because some parameters that determine the motion have not been specified.

We have to deal with the probability of the events predicted by the theory because of its incompleteness of some parameters

If these hypothetical "hidden parameters" were known, a fully deterministic trajectory could be defined.

If we know the parameters the theory would go from the probability to a determinist or sure statement

Significantly, this hidden-parameter quantum theory leads to experimental predictions different from those of traditional quantum mechanics.

The fact that the parameters are to us unknown brings the consequences to experimental results

Einstein's ideas have been tested by experiments performed since his death, and as most of these experiments support traditional quantum mechanics, Einstein's approach is almost certainly erroneous.

However, probably Einstein was wrong because several experiments conducted confirm the traditional theory and not Einstein' assumptions

24. The author regards the idea that traditional quantum mechanics is incomplete with

(A) approval

no the tone is neutral

(B) surprise

no surprise in discussing the passage

(C) indifference

no he is involved because he does several considerations

(D) apprehension

not really

(E) skepticism

Yes because Einstein' assumptions were tested and he was wrong

(A) it is theoretically possible to generate plausible theories with hidden parameters within them

we care about quantum theory NOT other theories

(B) some experimental tests of Einstein's theory do not disconfirm the hidden-parameter theory of quantum mechanics

yes. E. was almost wrong, which means he was NOT totally wrong. Correct

(C) it is possible for a theory to have hidden parameters and yet be probabilistic

never discussed this in the passage

(D) traditional quantum mechanics has not yet been used to analyze all of the phenomena to which it could be applied

out of scope

(E) there are too many possible hidden parameters to develop meaningful tests of hidden parameter theories

we do know how MANy parameters we do have

26. According to the passage, Einstein posed objections to the

(A) existence of hidden parameters in quantum theory
(B) probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics
(C) idea that quantum mechanics is incomplete
(D) results of experiments testing quantum theory
(E) the importance accorded quantum mechanics in physics

Because of this probabilism, Einstein remained strongly dissatisfied with the theory throughout his life,

B is correct

C is tricky but is wrong because E. did care of the probabilistic nature NOT the idea itself of the theory

27. The passage suggests that which of the following would have resulted if the experiments mentioned had not supported the predictions of traditional quantum mechanics?

(A) Einstein, had he been alive, would have revised his approach to quantum mechanics.
(B) Hidden-parameter theories would have been considered inaccurate descriptions of real-world phenomena.
(C) A deterministic description of the motion of a particle might still be considered possible.
(D) Quantum mechanics would have ceased to attract the attention of physicists.
(E) Einstein, had he been alive, would have abandoned attempts to specify the hidden parameters that describe motion.

Quantum mechanics is a highly successful theory: it supplies methods for accurately calculating the results of diverse experiments, especially with minute particles.

and

If these hypothetical "hidden parameters" were known, a fully deterministic trajectory could be defined

C is correct: the minuscule particles is the gist of the entire passage

Hope now is clear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Need help with the definition of the word 'Skeptic'. I understood the passage and in my opinion, the author is disapproving Einstein's idea that the theory is incomplete. Now the word rejection is not included in the options, can someone explain why we choose Skeptic?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Greprep911 wrote:
Need help with the definition of the word 'Skeptic'. I understood the passage and in my opinion, the author is disapproving Einstein's idea that the theory is incomplete. Now the word rejection is not included in the options, can someone explain why we choose Skeptic?

I explained above Sir https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/quantum-m ... tml#p71127

ask if something is STILL not clear to you
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts