Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:04 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:04

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [21]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 412 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [0]
Send PM
Re: Historically, a cornerstone of classical empiricism has been [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The first paragraph talks about what is called classic empiricism.

The second says

Quote:
For W.V.O. Quine, however, this constitutes an overly "narrow" conception of empiricism.

To narrow view and explain why should be taken into account other factors. Expanding the base and the concept itself.

e is wrong because we do not see any kind of "reservation" or doubts. he said that is correct but the phenomenon is more complex.

Clearly C. STraight
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Could you please help in explaining Q19 , I chose A

Also, I was little confsed between E and A
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
This question I believe is what ETS does so good in testing the students reasoning skills. Here, ETS is at its finest.

Th question basically is a Critical Reasoning apparently asks you to strengthen the argument but it ends up being an inference question.

A is wrong because

A) Provided evidence that many observations are actually hallucinations.

The last part of the passage

In that case, he argues, any statement or combination of statements (not merely the "offending" generalization, as in classical empiricism) can be altered to achieve the fundamental requirement, a system free of contradictions, even if, in some cases, the alteration consists of labeling the new observation a "hallucination."

The statements CAB BE LABELED hallucination but they could not be so.

Instead, A says that they are ACTUALLY , which means in any case and always, hallucinations.

I admit this was quite difficult.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
can someone expalin 20???
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
We do have choice I, II, and III

III says that Classical empiricism asserts that every observation will either confirm an existing generalization or initiate a new generalization.

This is false. The passage never this, saying that a new discovery should fit the "web" Therefore, C,D, and E are out

I say Classical empiricism requires that our system of generalizations be free of contradictions.

False. Historically, a cornerstone of classical empiricism has been the notion that every true generalization must be confirmable by specific observations. NOT that must be free of contradictions.

B is out

A is the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

I have a doubt regarding Q19.

The only two logical choices are C. and E.

For (C) Challenged the mechanism by which specific generalizations are derived from collections of particular observations.

In the paragraph he's actually challenging the mechanism by which the classical empiricism decides the generalization, by suggesting an alternative for the already existing method, which makes this the most obvious correct answer.

For (E) Gave an example of a specific generalization that has not been invalidated despite a contrary observation.

Even though he would be giving an example, here he would be giving an example of a generalization derived according to his methods, not the classical method, making his example irrelevant to the classical guys. Classical guys are saying if we use method A we get the correct answer, and the Quine is saying "but look if we use method B we still get the correct answer". He's not explicitly showing their method to be wrong. So why is this correct?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Do you mean why specifically E is correct ??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, why is E the better option?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [2]
Send PM
Expert Reply
19. As described in the passage, Quine's specific argument against classical empiricism would be most strengthened if he did which of the following?

(E) Gave an example of a specific generalization that has not been invalidated despite a contrary observation.

The language is very intricated . However, the question asks you if Quine is right or wrong, in the end.

The classic empiricism tells you that a statement is true unless you prove is wrong: the balls are red but if you find one blue the statement is false.

Now, for Quine, this must be seen in the context of a broader universe of knowledge and a generalization in the classic model (the balls are red) can even be disputed per se (the ball is blue so the generalization is FALSE) BUT this is nOT a problem. Inside a much wider universe of knowledge, this can be acceptable. The problem is ONLY when a statement and a new observation of that statement (which indeed is a phenomenon) contradict the previous one. THERE arises a conflict that we have to investigate further.

As such, in the chain of the event

Classic = statement >>> obesrvation >>> contrary fact >>>> observation false.

New model = statement >>> observation >>> in a wider universe a contrary fact maybe DOES NOT create the previous statement completely false because we could have an alternative reality. Notice how from all this discussion the physicists have been theorized the existence of the parallel universes in which a person is still the same but instead to play the guitar he /she players the drums. >>> the observation MIGHT be NOT false

(E) Gave an example of a specific generalization that has not been invalidated despite a contrary observation.

If you read above and now read E you do notice are the same statements.

His position will be reinforced IF he gives an example that makes true the generalization even though the contrary observation would say it is false. why ?? because we do have a wider and bigger universe of knowledge

Hope this helpès. This was one of the toughest questions in the GRE world I ever met. Of course, this process in my mind takes 40 seconds but to explain in clear words in far more than simple :(

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Answer 20 should be B in my opinion. Statement I is true because its not written "ONLY" Classical empiricism requires that our system of generalisations be free of contradictions. The statement is actually true, classical empiricism does require the system to be free of contradictions. So does Quines theory but, since ONLY is not mentioned, it seems true to me.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sayyam wrote:
Answer 20 should be B in my opinion. Statement I is true because its not written "ONLY" Classical empiricism requires that our system of generalisations be free of contradictions. The statement is actually true, classical empiricism does require the system to be free of contradictions. So does Quines theory but, since ONLY is not mentioned, it seems true to me.

No. it is A sir
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
MagooshStudentHelp wrote:
17. The first paragraph tells us about classical empiricism, historically speaking. It does not explain the entire system though, just this one cornerstone point. The second paragraph gives us Quine's account of empiricism, which challenges the cornerstone in the first paragraph. This maps best onto choice C, as the passage details how Quine's account differs from classical empiricism on this one fundamental point.

18. Here's the relevant portion: "In [the case of a contradiction], he argues, any statement or combination of statements can be altered to achieve the fundamental requirement, a system free of contradictions." So one or more parts of the web can be adjusted so that everything fits together. This fits best with D.

19. This one's tricky. Particularly, don't spend too much time trying to understand choice C. Move on and come back to it if none of the other choices stand out. However, choice E is a very good choice. Remember that in classical empiricism, one contradictory observation (like a non-red ball), "refutes unequivocally the proposed generalization." Obviously, thern, if you find a non-red ball, the generalization that all balls are red is completely false. Choice E, though, is saying that Quine could produce a generalization that remains true even though a contradiction can be observed. This would fly in the face of the classical model.

20. I. is not true because Quine also requires a system free of contradictions. II. is true, because Quine imagines times, such as hallucinations, where a generalization and an observed contradiction can both be true. III. is not true because the passage doesn't mention how classical empiricism initiates new generalizations. So only II. works, making the answer A.

For question 20 they have mentioned the generalization to be abandoned, which is confusing me that 2 option cannot be true.
Can somebody please help me with 20th question?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jazzy007 wrote:
MagooshStudentHelp wrote:
17. The first paragraph tells us about classical empiricism, historically speaking. It does not explain the entire system though, just this one cornerstone point. The second paragraph gives us Quine's account of empiricism, which challenges the cornerstone in the first paragraph. This maps best onto choice C, as the passage details how Quine's account differs from classical empiricism on this one fundamental point.

18. Here's the relevant portion: "In [the case of a contradiction], he argues, any statement or combination of statements can be altered to achieve the fundamental requirement, a system free of contradictions." So one or more parts of the web can be adjusted so that everything fits together. This fits best with D.

19. This one's tricky. Particularly, don't spend too much time trying to understand choice C. Move on and come back to it if none of the other choices stand out. However, choice E is a very good choice. Remember that in classical empiricism, one contradictory observation (like a non-red ball), "refutes unequivocally the proposed generalization." Obviously, thern, if you find a non-red ball, the generalization that all balls are red is completely false. Choice E, though, is saying that Quine could produce a generalization that remains true even though a contradiction can be observed. This would fly in the face of the classical model.

20. I. is not true because Quine also requires a system free of contradictions. II. is true, because Quine imagines times, such as hallucinations, where a generalization and an observed contradiction can both be true. III. is not true because the passage doesn't mention how classical empiricism initiates new generalizations. So only II. works, making the answer A.

For question 20 they have mentioned the generalization to be abandoned, which is confusing me that 2 option cannot be true.
Can somebody please help me with 20th question?

See my explanation above https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/historica ... tml#p59840
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
20. It can be inferred from the passage that Quine considers classical empiricism to be "overly 'narrow'" for which of the following reasons?

I. Classical empiricism requires that our system of generalizations be free of contradictions.
II. Classical empiricism demands that in the case of a contradiction between an individual observation and a generalization, the generalization must be abandoned.
III. Classical empiricism asserts that every observation will either confirm an existing generalization or initiate a new generalization.

(A) II only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

20) I did got D initially but on further deliberation, I understood the question more accurately.

I ) Wrong: Because Quine himself believe that the generalization should be free from contradiction. He refutes that the generalization should be abandoned just because there is a contradiction, but he still thinks that the contradiction should be able be modified into a generalization. The last sentence makes it more clear.
In that case,[b] he argues, any statement or combination of statements can be altered to achieve the fundamental requirement, a system free of contradictions, even if, in some cases, the alteration consists of labeling the new observation a "hallucination."[/b]
II) True :Obviously . Most people agree with this so I won't expound on it
III) Wrong :Every observation confirms to or generates new generalization .. Nothing is said on the start of new generalization just because the observation contradicts its
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Q.19 As described in the passage, Quine's specific argument against classical empiricism would be most
strengthened if he did which of the following?

My question is do:
1- "As described in the passage" indicates that a detailed question ?
2- would be => indicates a condition that isn't mentioned in the passage, which makes me feel that it is an inference question.
May someone walk me through the process of answering this question?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hi I am not clear with the question number 18, can anyone please help me to simplfy the question ?
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts