Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33141 [6]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33141 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Re: The recent, apparently successful, prediction by mathematica [#permalink]
Carcass just out of pure curiosity, do you actually manage to read and do this passage in under 7min?
If so, I applaud you for that!!!
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33141 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bubidag wrote:
Carcass just out of pure curiosity, do you actually manage to read and do this passage in under 7min?

Well, it depends on the passage and its complexity.

These passages from the big book are still amazing to train and sharp your skills and they are still actual. However, the new GRE the passages are not so long and so complex. A bit easier, but take this with a grain of salt.

I would say that the intricacies are more or less the same but the passages are a bit shortest.

That said the 3 minutes on average for a long passage are ON AVERAGE. 5 minutes could be fine as well.

The trick is to gain time and seconds in other verbal questions, for instance, in SE you should gain time to invest in the RC. one blank should take you at most 50 seconds/ one minute no more.

For sure I stay well below seven minutes overall. It is a question strictly related to the strategy you use AND your level of English, your level to grasp complex essays.

It is indeed a multifaceted approach. Training more passages do not make you better because if you make mistakes you tend to reiterate them over and over again.

You must have a clear strategy and stick to it and not change so often even though you have to be flexible at the same time and your level of English. These factors are crucial.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
bubidag wrote:

Well, it depends on the passage and its complexity.

These passages from the big book are still amazing to train and sharp your skills and they are still actual. However, the new GRE the passages are not so long and so complex. A bit easier, but take this with a grain of salt.

I would say that the intricacies are more or less the same but the passages are a bit shortest.

That said the 3 minutes on average for a long passage are ON AVERAGE. 5 minutes could be fine as well.

The trick is to gain time and seconds in other verbal questions, for instance, in SE you should gain time to invest in the RC. one blank should take you at most 50 seconds/ one minute no more.

For sure I stay well below seven minutes overall. It is a question strictly related to the strategy you use AND your level of English, your level to grasp complex essays.

It is indeed a multifaceted approach. Training more passages do not make you better because if you make mistakes you tend to reiterate them over and over again.

You must have a clear strategy and stick to it and not change so often even though you have to be flexible at the same time and your level of English. These factors are crucial.

Carcass thank you for this wonderful answer.
Everything that you said makes perfect sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Send PM
For Q24, both A and B are precursors to the Anti El Nino. So why is B discredited? B happens after A and so it's the closest event occuring to the shift to Anti El Nino. I discredited A thinking it was the trap answer and is more of an intermediate step compared to B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
can someone please tell me the requirements for the admission in any top college of UK? I want to pursue career in law
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 918 [0]
Zohair123 wrote:
For Q24, both A and B are precursors to the Anti El Nino. So why is B discredited? B happens after A and so it's the closest event occuring to the shift to Anti El Nino. I discredited A thinking it was the trap answer and is more of an intermediate step compared to B.

you are correct that A happens before B. Notice that the passage mentioned that appearance of cold water in eastern Pacific signals anti El-Nino, and right then El-Nino disappears.

When enough Kelvin waves of sufficient amplitude arrive from the western Pacific, their negative sea-level signal overcomes the feed back mechanism tending to raise the sea level, and they begin to drive the system into the opposite cold mode.

when enough Kelvin waves arrives at eastern-Pacific, this normally signals the disappearance of El-Nino. When B happens, El-Nino has already disappeared, so A is the better answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
For number 25:
It is indeed stated that "the winds of an El Nino, which raise sea level in the east," however, the question asks us what can be inferred...

If we are told that the winds of an El Nino raise sea level in the east, AND ONLY THAT, we cannot make a GRE inference that once the winds of an El Nino cease to exist that the sea level in the east will drop??? I thought in GRE inferences are different than what we can make in real life? I learned this from Manhattan Prep... Where have I gone wrong?
According to my logic, the answer should only be I and III, NOT II because we are never told of the sea levels dropping once the winds cease.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Can anyone please explain all the questions?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Robot wrote:
Can anyone please explain all the questions?

would be more useful to pinpoint what you did not get or the reason why , instead to ask " please explain all the questions all along"

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
The recent, apparently successful, prediction by mathematica [#permalink]
Are passages on real GRE this complex?
Plus what will be your strategy if this sort of passage appears on test day?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Greprep911 wrote:
Are passages on real GRE this complex?
Plus what will be your strategy if this sort of passage appears on test day?

yes.

Read this sir

It would help you to improve

https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/gre-readi ... 20658.html
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts