Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33141 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
Re: It is an odd but indisputabl [#permalink]
FCOCGALVAN wrote:
@Carcass

Hello again!

I just saw a video that you posted about GreGmat where he explains the three strategies and i am trying to implement them.

I am a bit confussed in the black part...

It is an odd but indisputable fact that the seventeenth-century English women who are generally regarded as among the forerunners of modern feminism are almost all identified with the Royalist side in the conflict between Royalists and Parliamentarians known as the English Civil Wars. Since Royalist ideology is often associated with the radical patriarchalism of seventeenth century political theorist Robert Filmer—a patriarchalism that equates family and kingdom and asserts the divinely ordained absolute power of the king and, by analogy, of the male head of the household—historians have been understandably puzzled by the fact that Royalist women wrote the earliest extended criticisms of the absolute subordination of women in marriage and the earliest systematic assertions of women’s rational and moral equality with men. Some historians have questioned the facile equation of Royalist ideology with Filmerian patriarchalism; and indeed, there may have been no consistent differences between Royalists and Parliamentarians on issues of family organization and women’s political rights, but in that case one would expect early feminists to be equally divided between the two sides.

Why should the historians be "understandably puzzled"? What I understand is that women inside the Royal were the ones would suffer the most patriarchalism. Hence, I guess it would be normal if they start writing against them.

What am I missing?, could you please give me some help here?

Kind regards!

1. The passage mentions that the Royalist ideology is identified with the philosphy of Filmer and this philosophy emphasized absolute power of the male head of the household.
2. Despite this, the royalists women criticised subordination of women in marriages and asserted equality between women and men.

The above two made the historians puzzled.

What you are mentioning about the royal women suffering the most patriarchalism may be correct from the
common sense. However, according to me, we should not link the common sense/our own ideas to the context in RC/SE/TC. We should only focus on the evidence presented before us.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
@cnk1

Thank you! Now it's more clear for me!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
1. The author of the passage refers to Robert Filmer primarily in order to
(A) show that Royalist ideology was somewhat more radical than most historians appear to realize-
not supported by the passage
(B) qualify the claim that patriarchalism formed the basis of Royalist ideology-
There is no qualification
(C) question the view that most early feminists were associated with the Royalist faction-
Author does not question the view
(D) highlight an apparent tension between Royalist ideology and the ideas of early feminists-
correct- The contrast between royalist ideology and ideas of early feminists
(E) argue that Royalists held conflicting opinions on issues of family organization and women's political rights-
Not supported by the passage

2. The passage suggests which of the following about the seventeenth-century English women mentioned in line 2?
A: Their status as forerunners of modern feminism is not entirely justified.-
Not supported by the passage
B: They did not openly challenge the radical patriarchalism of Royalist Filmerian ideology.-
not supported by the passage
C: Cavendish was the first among these women to criticize women's subordination in marriage and assert women's equality with men.-
Passage does not mention that Cavendish was the first
D: Their views on family organization and women's political rights were diametrically opposed to those of both Royalist and Parliamentarian ideology.
Passage does not mention that they were opposite to the Parliamentarian ideology.
E: Historians would be less puzzled if more of them were identified with the Parliamentarian side in the English Civil Wars.
Correct- because the Royalist ideology was associated with Filmer’s philosophy which was opposite to the ideas of modern feminism.

3. The passage suggests that Margaret Cavendish's decision to become an author was motivated, at least in part, by a desire to
E: create a world over which she could exercise total control- correct
she resolved to be mistress of her own world, the “immaterial world” that any person can create within her own mind—and, as a writer, on paper.

4. The phrase "a satellite orbiting a dominant male planet" refers most directly to
D: the absolute subordination of women in a patriarchal society
Cavendish insisted that she was a self-sufficient being within her mental empire…………….rather than a satellite orbiting a dominant male planet

5. Which of the following, if true, would most clearly undermine Gallagher`s explanation of the link between Royalism and feminism?
Argument of Gallagher is that ideology of absolute monarchy provided a transition to an ideology of the absolute self and hence royalism supported feminism. As an illustration/evidence, she mentions Cavendish.
We must weaken this evidence.

(A) Because of their privileged backgrounds, Royalist women were generally better educated than were their Parliamentarian counterparts.-
This does not attack the evidence
(B) Filmer himself had read some Cavendish's early writings and was highly critical of her ideas.-
(C) Cavendish's views were highly individual and were not shared by other Royalist women who wrote early feminist works.
Correct- This directly attacks the evidence and weakens the argument of Gallagher.
(D) The Royalist and Parliamentarian ideologies were largely in agreement on issues of family organization and women's political rights.
(E) The Royalist side included a sizable minority faction that was opposed to the more radical tendencies of Filmerian patriarchalism.

6. The primary purpose of the passage is to:
(A) trace the historical roots of a modern sociopolitical movement-
no historical roots are discussed
(B) present one scholar's explanation for a puzzling historical phenomenon
Correct- Gallagher’s explanation about why royalism gave rise to feminism
(C) contrast two interpretations of the ideological origins of a political conflict
No political conflict is discussed
(D) establish a link between the ideology of an influential political theorist and that of a notoriously eccentric writer
Passage does not establish any link between Filmer and Cavendish
(E) call attention to some points of agreement between opposing sides in an ideological debate
No points of agreement or opposing sides are mentioned
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Q2 I still don't understand why the answer is E. :|

"there may have been no consistent differences between Royalists and Parliamentarians on issues of family organization and women’s political rights, but in that case one would expect early feminists to be equally divided between the two sides" this suggest that Parliamentarians & Royalists had the SAME ideology & its AGAINST the ideas of modern feminism.
so why the "Historians would be less puzzled if MORE of them were identified with the Parliamentarian side in the English Civil Wars"

& choice B says that "They did not openly challenge the radical patriarchalism of Royalist Filmerian ideology"
we know that the feminists supported the Royalists so doesn't that mean that they did NOT challenge them?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Me too. Why E for Q2?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
I think that the correct answer for Q2 is not E. In the passage said that "indeed... there may have been no consistent differences between Royalists and Parliamentarians on issues of family organization and women’s political rights". So obviously, their views were opposite to the Parliamentarian ideology, because was the same that Royalist ideology. And answer E has not sense because in the passage said: " one would expect early feminists to be equally divided between the two sides.", so if more of them were identified with the Parliamentarian side in the English Civil Wars, historians would be equal puzzled.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
The passage is an official GMAT passage and the answer is E

Feel free to ask if you still do not understand it. I will explain you

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
jgastelor wrote:
I think that the correct answer for Q2 is not E. In the passage said that "indeed... there may have been no consistent differences between Royalists and Parliamentarians on issues of family organization and women’s political rights". So obviously, their views were opposite to the Parliamentarian ideology, because was the same that Royalist ideology. And answer E has not sense because in the passage said: " one would expect early feminists to be equally divided between the two sides.", so if more of them were identified with the Parliamentarian side in the English Civil Wars, historians would be equal puzzled.

My thoughts exactly!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
gentvenus wrote:
jgastelor wrote:

My thoughts exactly!

As per opening of pasage, it is odd fact that feminists were identified with the Royalists. This is due to Royalist philosphy of Filmer.
So historians would consider it less odd (and less surprising) if we identify them with Parlamentarians.
This is what choice E says.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN 5 more clearly .
The passage does not mention the royalists followed feminism .So how can one attack that assumption ???
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
dpraneeth10 wrote:
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN 5 more clearly .
The passage does not mention the royalists followed feminism .So how can one attack that assumption ???

look the explanation above https://gre.myprepclub.com/forum/it-is-an- ... tml#p54430

Let me know if it is still NOT clear
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts