Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 06:06 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:06

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33139 [9]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q169 V157
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33139 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scholars often fail to see that music playe [#permalink]
Thank you for your explanation, Carcass.

But I have a question. In the reading, "their political and economic systems" is between two hyphens and it refers to "...slavery stripped some cultural elements". Therefore. choice (I) can be paraphrased as "Slavery stripped some cultural elements from Black people", which is directly mentioned in the passage and hence is a correct choice.

I would be delighted if you help me solve this problem.

Thanks.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
No. Pretty close but wrong. You overlooked ONE simple word.

20. According to the author, scholars would err in drawing which of the following conclusions?

I. Slavery stripped the slaves of their political and economic systems.

This phrase means literally that slavery took away ALL of those elements

The passage says

They (the scholars or academics ) correctly note that slavery stripped some cultural elements from Black people—their political and economic systems

So answer choice I can not be inferred or concluded.

Hope now is more clear. ETS is very clever in this :)

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
So answer choice I can not be inferred or concluded.

Hope now is more clear. ETS is very clever in this :)

Hey Carcass, thanks for this. I still have doubts on the solution of this question, because the logic I used was this:

- Well, scholars did conclude properly that slavery stripped black people from some elements of their culture. And those elements that were stripped away was their economics and and political systems. And as Mahdi1989 stated it, it seems like a straight forward option.

So I'm wondering if there was a chance you could elaborate on why I is not a correct answer choice.

Thanks for your time and resources!
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry.

I do not see anything to add to what I explained before.

All the reasons why I is incorrect is in the explanation above.

Quant could have more ways to solve a question. Verbal is different: not so many ways to look at to the answer why is correct or incorrect.

regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Send PM
For the last question, the line from the passage
Quote:
They correctly note that slavery stripped some cultural elements from Black people—their political and economic systems
looks ambiguous because it can mean one of two things:
1. Either they stripped SOME of the political and cultural elements
2. Or that political and cultural elements were SOME of the elements that were stripped.

But because the question asks on whether the scholars would "err" in making this conclusion, statement I does not apply because the author concedes that the scholars did get it right. So FALSE. (If someone can clarify whether this is the correct line of reasoning, it would be greatly appreciated.)

Statement 2: This is what the Author talks about what the scholars concluded wrongly. They concluded that the music was a separate social domain, like the other cultures. So if they conclude that, they would be mistaken, as per the author. So TRUE.

Statement 3: "Music was a crucial part of African cultural legacy". This is the conclusion provided by the author, not the scholars, and which the author believes in. Nevertheless, even if scholars made this conclusion, according to the passage and the author, this is indeed true and they would NOT ERR in making this conclusion. Hence, FALSE.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM