Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Prep Club Team Member
Own Kudos [?]: 3256 [3]
Given Kudos: 1051
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33140 [1]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the [#permalink]
I got confused with 3rd questions. Almost all options looks same. Can you explain it.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33140 [2]
Send PM
Re: Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Question 3 asks which answer choice is implied as a "possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency." Let's consider choice (E):

Quote:
(E) A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.

Here's the most relevant evidence from the passage (which may look familiar): "there is no guarantee that increased economic growth from ecoefficiency will come in similarly ecoefficient ways, since in today’s global markets, greater profits may be turned into investment capital that could easily be reinvested in old-style eco-inefficient industries."

So, does this imply that companies are unlikely to invest increased profits in new ecoefficiency measures? Nope -- "no guarantee" just means that it might happen, or it might not. "Unlikely" is a stronger term, and is not supported by the evidence in the passage.

Similarly, just because greater profits MAY be used to reinvest in old-style eco-inefficient industries does not necessarily mean that a company will not invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures. Again, we have no idea how likely/unlikely a company is to do this.

Quote:
(B) Company growth fostered by cost savings from such innovations may allow that company to manufacture a greater number of products that will be used and discarded, thus worsening environmental stress.

Notice the use of the word "may" in choice (B). We are told that "most companies invest in ecoefficiency improvements in order to increase profits and growth." And since the ecoefficiency innovations "do NOT alter the number of products manufactured nor the waste generated from their use and discard," it's reasonable to infer that this increase in profits and growth might allow the company to increase production, which in turn might worsen environmental stress.

We can't really infer whether this consequence is LIKELY or UNLIKELY, but we can certainly infer that it MIGHT happen -- and that's exactly what's indicated in choice (B), making it a better choice than (E).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GeminiHeat, Carcass, can you please explain Q1 and Q3?
Q1: I selected A based on the following reasons:
Ecoefficiency (measures to minimize environmental impact through the reduction or elimination of waste from production processes) has become a goal for companies worldwide, with many realizing significant cost savings from such innovations.--> Based on this statement, I understood that it was once anticipated by the companies that eccoefficiency is a successful strategy.

The rest of the passage provides rationale why eccoefficiency may not be a successful strategy.

Therefore, I selected A. Can you please explain where I am getting wrong with my analysis.

Q3: For Q3, I selected A.
According to the passage, capital can be reinvested in old style eco-inefficient industries. As a result of this, company will not be able to make further improvements in eco-efficiency. Where I am getting wrong with my analysis?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
First, let’s consider the author’s purpose throughout the course of the passage:

• Initially, the author introduces ecoefficiency and the view of two individuals that it could actually harm the environment.
  • Then, the author explains how ecoefficiency could harm the environment.
  • Finally, the author recommends an alternative approach that, while including ecoefficiency, would preserve the environment.

The question asks that we identify the author’s primary purpose. With that in mind, here’s (D):

Quote:
(D) make a case for applying a particular business strategy on a larger scale than is currently practiced

The particular business strategy discussed in the passage is ecoefficiency. The problem with (D) is that the author does not contend that ecoefficiency should be practiced on a larger scale. Rather, the author points out the potential harmful effects of ecoefficiency, and then he/she recommends additional factors that must be taken into account (total material use and accumulated waster). But these two factors are not addressed by ecoefficiency, and the author does not argue that ecoefficiency should be applied on a larger scale. Eliminate (D).

And here’s (C):

Quote:
(C) present a concern about the possible consequences of pursuing a particular business strategy

As we said above, the particular business strategy discussed is ecoefficiency. The author begins by introducing the strategy and goes on to discuss the possible harmful effects of that strategy. This is precisely what (C) describes, so it is the best answer choice.

I hope that helps!
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Q3. The passage implies that which of the following is a possible consequence of a company’s adoption of innovations that increase its ecoefficiency?
A. Company profits resulting from such innovations may be reinvested in that company with no guarantee that the company will continue to make further improvements in ecoefficiency.
B. Company growth fostered by cost savings from such innovations may allow that company to manufacture a greater number of products that will be used and discarded, thus worsening environmental stress.
C. A company that fails to realize significant cost savings from such innovations may have little incentive to continue to minimize the environmental impact of its production processes.
D. A company that comes to depend on such innovations to increase its profits and growth may be vulnerable in the global market to competition from old-style eco-inefficient industries.
E. A company that meets its ecoefficiency goals is unlikely to invest its increased profits in the development of new and innovative ecoefficiency measures.
Inference
The answer to this question will be an inference about what may result from a company’s increased ecoefficiency. The passage suggests several outcomes from such an increase: a general worsening of the environment; a tendency for companies to manufacture more of particular products, which will then be thrown away by consumers; the possibility that increased profits will result in greater investment in industries that are not ecoefficient; and even the possibility that ecoefficiency might allow so much growth that more total waste will be produced and more overall wildlife habitat destroyed.
A. The passage suggests generally that ecoefficiency will increase companies’ profits, but there is no suggestion that these companies will therefore then abandon ecoefficiency as a goal.
B. Correct. Lines 6–12 strongly suggest that it is possible that the increased growth that may come from ecoefficiency may result in more products being manufactured, which may result in more waste as those products are discarded by consumers.
C. The passage does not suggest that ecoefficiency may fail to increase a company’s profits.
D. The passage suggests that ecoefficiency has allowed many companies to increase profits, but it does not suggest that eco-inefficient companies are more profitable or competitive in the global marketplace.
E. As with answer choice (A), there is no suggestion that companies are likely to abandon ecoefficient strategies once they have realized increased profits from such strategies.
The correct answer is B.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts