Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33141 [7]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33141 [0]
Send PM
Re: "I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at wo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
In this case, question two is a clear example how is important to read the stem very carefully, otherwise, you really miss the point.

Quote:
In the first paragraph of the passage, the author's attitude toward the literary critics mentioned can best be described as

What is asking you is to pinpoint the author's attitude towards those that critic Woolf so harshly.

And the attitude is derogatory towards those critics NOT towards Woolf. Actually, the author says that Woll is much more than the first statement throughout her entire career.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Send PM
I wanted to clear some things for this passage and question.

Q. 2. Why is the tone disparaging? Not that I disagree, but I was confused between A and D for this.

Q. 4. I was confused between B and C. I thought the second paragraph offered some support for C.

Q. 7. I want to make sure I did this right and that this is the way to eliminate/choose answers. A and D are eliminated because they deal with a specific part/detail while this is a general question. C- there is no mention of specific social causes. I was confused between B and E but then for E- it never really mentions which one has a greater effect on person's life
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Why is not the answer for last and penultimate question D and C respectively?

Originally posted by rahack on 02 Jul 2019, 11:48.
Last edited by rahack on 03 Jul 2019, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry Sir,

You didnt get the penultimate and last questions are NOT D and C ??

Tha did you mean ??

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Sorry Sir,

You didnt get the penultimate and last questions are NOT D and C ??

Tha did you mean ??

Regards

Edited the question. :-)
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
(D) \Vas D. H. Lawrence as concerned as Woolf was with creating realistic settings for his novels?

We do know that is not true because Lawrence was concerned NOt in realistinc setting (the adhere to reality) but rather in preaching settings. Preaching means a theoretical yet good and with nice proposal setting.

For instance: practice what you preach means to do what you say to other people they should.

As for the other question in which you pinted ot why not C'
Well, the very last sentence says

Woolf chose to understand as well as to judge, to know her society root and branch—a decision crucial in order to produce art rather than polemic.

From this, you do know the answer is E. C is nowhere addressed along the passage

Regards
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
1. The answer for this question lies in this sentence, “Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people’s live, how class, wealth and gender help to determine people’s fate”.

2. In the first paragraph, authors attitude towards the literary critic is to underestimate them for their work. So option A is the correct one.

3. Yet by absorbing morality at every pore, this was the comment mentioned about Chaucer.

4. The answer lies in this part of the passage, “In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people’s lives, how class, wealth and gender help to determine people’s fate”.

5. The last paragraph about Woolf’s own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary, since for her, contemplative, not an active art. So, option C conveys that art was not active.

6) Option B is the only one that fits this passage.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [3]
GRE 1: Q160 V163
Send PM
1) Which of the following would be the most appropriate title for the passage?
POE
(A) Poetry and Satire as Influences on the Novels of Virginia Woolf
Incorrect- satire is mentioned only in Para 3
(E) Virginia Woolf's Novels: Critical Reflections on the Individual and on Society
correct- This is in tune with overall contents of the passage

2) In the first paragraph of the passage, the author's attitude toward the literary critics mentioned can best be described as
(A) disparaging
Correct- literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny

3) It can be inferred from the passage that Woolf chose Chaucer as a literary model because she believed that
(D) Chaucer's writing was great, if subtly, effective in influencing the moral attitudes of his readers
correct
"It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything
Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore

4) It can be inferred from the passage that the most probable reason Woolf realistically described the social setting in the majority of her novels was that she
(B) was interested in the effect of a person's social milieu on his or her character and actions
correct- para 1- Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped
(or de-formed) by their social environments…………….

5) Which of the following phrases best expresses the sense of the word "contemplative" as it is used in lines 43-44 of the passage?
(B) Reflecting on issues in society without prejudice or emotional commitment
incorrect trap answer
(C) Avoiding the aggressive assertion of the author's perspective to the exclusion of the reader's judgment
Correct-
She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues:
it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them

(E) Appreciating the world as the artist sees it rather than judging it in moral terms
incorrect trap answer

6) The author implies that a major element of the satirist's art is the satirist's
(E) refusal to indulge in polemic when presenting social mores to readers for their scrutiny
Correct
As a moralist, Woolf works by indirection, subtly undermining officially accepted mores,
mocking, suggesting, calling into question, rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness: hers is the satirist's art

7) The passage supplies information for answering which of the following questions?
POE
(B) Does the author believe that Woolf is solely an introspective and visionary novelist?
correct- Para 1
But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary:

(D) Was D. H. Lawrence as concerned as Woolf was with creating realistic settings for his novels?
Incorrect- This is not mentioned about Lawrence in Para 2
(E) Does Woolf attribute more power to social environment or to historical forces as shapers of a person's life?
Incorrect- no comparison is made in Para 1
GRE Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
1. Which of the following would be the most appropriate title for the passage?

E. Virginia Woolf's Novels: Critical Reflections on the Individual and on Society

"In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people's fates."

2. In the first paragraph of the passage, the author's attitude toward the literary critics mentioned can best be described as

A. Disparaging

"But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny."

3. It can be inferred from the passage that Woolf chose Chaucer as a literary model because she believed that

D. Chaucer's writing was great, if subtly, effective in influencing the moral attitudes of his readers

Virginia Woolf practiced the satirist's art, which involves using subtlety, instead of direct statements . This is described in these lines -

"As a moralist, Woolf works by indirection, subtly undermining officially accepted mores, mocking, suggesting, calling into question, rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness: hers is the satirist's art."

And the following lines indicate that Chaucer followed a similar method, thus becoming a role model for Virginia Woolf.

As she put it in The Common Reader, "It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore.

"Like Chaucer, Woolf chose to understand as well as to judge, to know her society root and branch—a decision crucial in order to produce art rather than polemic."

Polemic is straightforward support for a thesis, therefore, here art refers to the method of indirection and subtlety.

4. It can be inferred from the passage that the most probable reason Woolf realistically described the social setting in the majority of her novels was that she

B. was interested in the effect of a person's social milieu on his or her character and actions

"In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people's fates. Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time."

5. Which of the following phrases best expresses the sense of the word "contemplative" as it is used in lines 43-44 of the passage?

C. Avoiding the aggressive assertion of the author's perspective to the exclusion of the reader's judgment

"Woolf's own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary since for her, fiction is a contemplative, not an active art. She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them."

In other words, direct commentary is active art. Therefore contemplative must mean avoiding direct commentary, and allowing the reader to make his observations and and come to his own conclusions.

6. The author implies that a major element of the satirist's art is the satirist's

E. refusal to indulge in polemic when presenting social mores to readers for their scrutiny

The following lines describe the indirect method of Virginia Woolf-

"She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them."

The satirist's method involves the satirist presenting phenomenon for readers contemplation rather than directly commenting on it.

The satirit's art is also described as working by indirection, subtly undermining (which suggests an indirect approach), mocking, suggesting and calling into question rather than rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness. Later, the author compares Woolf indirect method to Chaucer's, and Chaucer was Woolf's role model, and explains how that helped to produce art instead of polemic.

Note: A polemic is contentious rhetoric that is intended to support a specific position by forthright claims and undermining of the opposing position.

7.The passage supplies information for answering which of the following questions?

B. Does the author believe that Woolf is solely an introspective and visionary novelist?

"Virginia Woolf's provocative statement about her intentions in writing Mrs. Dalloway has regularly been ignored by the critics since it highlights an aspect of her literary interests very different from the traditional picture of the "poetic" novelist concerned with examining states of reverie and vision and with following the intricate pathways of individual consciousness."

"But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny."
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great Sir
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Send PM
So I came after watching gregmat's video decided to try his approach.And I actually got all of them correct except the 4th ! NEVER HAPPENED TO ME

So thing I did was to know the main idea of the passage which we can deduce from the first para itself.I just focussed on these sentences : Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary. Thats it ! I just skimmed the rest.

In the second para through I noticed that she didn't like Lawarence's approach which was opposite of her's .The second para basically describes her being a realist. These sentences provide the evidence : "Woolf's focus on society has not been generally recognized because of her intense antipathy to propaganda in art".Basically she hated propaganda(TMZ) instead more realistic showing the way it is .

In the third para it shows her approach her technique used in her novels. Her being a visionary a satarist is mentioned again "subtly undermining officially accepted mores, mocking, suggesting, calling into question, rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness: hers is the satirist's art".

THAT'S IT !! AND we are good to go .

1. It is about Virgina so eliminate options that don't mention her.Remeber her as a realist so Criticall refelctions suite well Choose E.

2. Virgina didn't like those critics The first sentence describes that So A .

3 She was a moralist as well so she would definitely be inclined to someone who had followed that suite.
Note C option it says he didn't call into question the mores of the society against her idealist approach so eliminate it. The option D since it mentions moralist.

4. This is a tree question as Greg would call it.This one can be answered when reading the sentence in the passage where its mentioned
, "how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people's fates. Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time." Didn't bother to read the passage again so got it wrong.With these sentences it is clear to choose Option B

5 "Woolf's own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary since for her, fiction is a contemplative, not an active art. She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them. This sentence states that Wolf wanted her readers to to make a judgement themselves. So C makes a good choice.

6 This one here again is her being a realist and not indulging in polemic when expressing her views So option E fits well.

7.Again the same approach in this aswell it the author definitely mentions her being a visionary and self examining. And that can be answered while reading this passage So choose B

IF YOU LIKE THIS EXPLANATION GIVE ME KUDO'S.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gregmat did not teach anything new to us.

Are the students stubborn to go back and forth between passage and questions

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:

Regards

Did I say anything wrong?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
dpraneeth10 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Regards

Absolutely Sir :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
dpraneeth10 wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Regards

Absolutely Sir :)

IN what way ?
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
When you say absolutely means confirmative.

Absolutely means NO you did not say anything wrong.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Send PM
Summary:

Para 1: a brief of wolf’s writing style
Para 2: how wolf antipathy to social reforms were depicted in her writing
Para 3: Wolf was indirect with her writing, nor attacking directly

A2: (A) “iterary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny” - a strong stand against the critics was seen by the author

A3: (D) she compared Chaucer writing with her in para 3

A4: (B) “Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments” para 1

A5: (C) As the author said in the 3rd para that her writing was contemplative not direct commentary, which states in the para that she wasn’t aggressive towards her idea but rather subtle and it was reader’s duty to conglomerate the idea as it will not be written in a simpler forms

A6: (E) para 3, last line

A7: (B) the author describes wolf as visionary in para 1
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts