Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 08:56 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:56

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33140 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Analysts project about pharmaceutical company [#permalink]
The answer for the blank(i) should carry a positive meaning as the drug do not have any side effects. And also the blank(ii) should contrast with benign. So it must be a negative word. Hence, promulgate and nugatory are the answers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
How can the first blank be positive when the drug is actually futile? I think wane should be the answer for blank 1.
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33140 [1]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes true. Promulgate does not make any sense.

the stocks will plunge because the related product on the market share was not so good as promising

The answer must be C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 955
GRE 1: Q166 V162
Send PM
Options are sequenced incorrectly in the original post. Please update accordingly. Below is the actual ques:

Analysts project that the pharmaceutical company’s stock price will (i)__________as the “promising” new drug’s effects have turned out to be largely (ii)__________but benign.
Blank (i) Blank (ii)
dally antiseptic
wane noisome
promulgate nugatory

Official explanation - ManhattanPrep
The quotation marks around “promising” indicate that the new drug did not perform up to expectations; this would have a negative effect on the stock price. Thus, a good filler for blank (i) is “decrease” or “go down.”

(A) Dally means either “to play, trifle, or toy with” or “to dawdle, waste time, or loiter.” Neither definition matches the filler. Even if it could be said that a stock price will dawdle or loiter, that would probably mean “do nothing, remain the same” not “go down.”
(B) CORRECT. Wane means “to decrease in intensity, quantity, or strength,” so this is a good match.
(C) Promulgate means “to make widely known by public declaration or official announcement.” This is not a good match.

We already know that the new drug did not perform up to expectations. The drug’s effects are contrasted with the fact that they are also “benign,” which means “neutral or harmless in its effects and influence” Thus, blank (ii) cannot be either “gentle” (i.e. good) or “harmful.”

(D) Noisome means “noxious, harmful, or dangerous.” If the effects were noisome, they could not also be “benign.”
(E) Antiseptic means “protecting against infection” or “clean, sanitized.” This choice does not match well with “but benign”: if the drug protected against infection that would be a good thing. This choice relates to medicine but is a theme trap; it does not fit within the specific context of the sentence.
(F) CORRECT. Nugatory means “of little value; inconsequential” or “without effectiveness.” This is a good match.

cbdscolin wrote:
Analysts project that the pharmaceutical company’s stock price will (i) _______ as the “promising” new drug’s effects have turned out to be largely (ii) _______but benign.

Blank (i) Blank (ii)
dally antiseptic
promulgate noisome
wane nugatory
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts