Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:23

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [2]
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [4]
Send PM
Re: Magoosh TC-109 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Rashed,
Thank you for the acknowledgement!
As for you problem, you know as well that there is no 1 step solution. :? The reason you are getting low scores in verbal can be multi-faceted. For example, maybe your vocabulary is not strong enough or maybe your patience during reading a long RC runs out quickly leading to faulty comprehension and eventually wrong answer. So my advice to you is that you need a strong dose of self-introspection. At least', that's what I would have done if I were facing the same problem as you are facing right now. Let's see the type of question the verbal section throws at you:
  • Sentence Equivalence
  • Text Completion
  • Reading Comprehension
  • Critical Reasoning or paragraph argument questions

For the first two types of GRE verbal questions you just need to have a strong vocabulary. Without that, it's impossible to ace those sections. The challenge in this new format of GRE is that even possessing a strong vocabulary might not be enough to ace these questions since this new GRE doesn't only test your vocabulary but also the way you understand the subtle difference in applications of the words. Just memorising the meaning of 1000 most frequent GRE words won't get you close. It's how you learn them...through association and application in your life. So if you are not doing this now, I implore you to start doing it ASAP.

Now let's see what we have in store for the last two types of GRE question- the RCs and the CRs. This section tests your ability of comprehending passages with complex mutually conflicting arguments and making a big picture out of it. Having a strong vocabulary is not needed here. but it helps a lot I have to say. Sometimes not knowing the meaning of a certain word can change your entire viewpoint about the passage. But the most important quality you have to have to ace this section is your sharp analytical skills. We all have that to varying degrees. But without using them much, those skills get blunt. Only way to sharpen them? Through practice :)

Recommendations

At the end of the day, it's only you who understands what it is that you lack which is responsible for you getting below average verbal scores. Once you are able to delineate the problems you are facing, I suggest you try to solve them one at a time. In this part I am gonna give you some recommendations for building your vocabulary:
For building your analytical and RC skills go to this forum. These are GMAT RC's which I find at least tougher than GRE RC's and if you practise them you are only gonna find GRE questions to be a lot easier.
I hope this helps you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Thank u brother.... This was helpful . But , I haven't understood "ASAP"?? What is ASAP??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1965 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
As soon as possible :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Can you please tell me if yet is used as a contrast here? If yes, shouldn't the answer be elaboration? What I understood from the second part is that he has this habit of not living up to the expectation so the first part should contrast with the second part right? I mean let's replace "yet" with as (positive connotation) and the sentence would be something like:-

Most see Gutjens’s latest book as a(n) ---- his previous works – as he has always made it a habit of confounding expectations, and so any of his novels could bear this tag.

Don't you this positive connotation makes more sense here if we are choosing "departure from" as a choice ?

Regards,
Atul Rawat
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Re: Most see Gutjens’s latest book as a(n) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
the entire sentence turns around the concept that the author made something different from the past and YET he is able to mix up the style and confounding the audience.

So the only logic blank is that this new work is a departure or something different from the past

Most see Gutjens’s latest book as a(n) ______ his previous works – yet he has always made it a habit of confounding expectations, and so any of his novels could bear this tag.

let me know if now is more clear to you

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: Most see Gutjens’s latest book as a(n) [#permalink]
he has always made it a habit of confounding expectations, and so any of his novels could bear this tag.

It means, confounding or frustrating his fans has become his habit, thus it can be inferred that everyone has a good expectation from earlier one, but every time the expectation goes down from the present one.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Re: Most see Gutjenss latest book as a(n) [#permalink]
Hello from the GRE Prep Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
GRE Instructor
218 posts
GRE Instructor
1029 posts