Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:34 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:34

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [19]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2214 [10]
Given Kudos: 251
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work [#permalink]
GreenlightTestPrep wrote:
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work. When it is sunny, he walks at a speed of s miles/hr (s is an integer) and when it gets cloudy, he increases his speed to (s + 1) miles/hr. If his average speed for the entire distance is 2.8 miles/hr, what fraction of the total distance did he cover while the sun was shining on him?

NOTE: Enter your response as a fraction.

Answer:
Show: ::
1/7

Let's assign a nice value to the total distance traveled.

If Derek's average speed is 2.8 mph, then let's say that he traveled a total of 28 miles.
At an average rate of 2.8 mph, a 28 mile trip will take 10 hours.

Since Derek's average speed is BETWEEN 2 mph and 3 mph, we can conclude that Derek walked 2 mph when it was sunny, and he walked 3 mph when it was cloudy.

Let's t = number of hours walking while sunny
So, 10 - t = number of hours walking while cloudy

We'll begin with a word equation: (distance traveled while sunny) + (distance traveled while cloudy) = 28
Since distance = (speed)(time), we can now write:
(2)(t) + (3)(10 - t) = 28
Expand: 2t + 30 - 3t = 28
Solve: t = 2
In other words, Derek walked for 2 hours while sunny.

At a walking speed of 2 mph, Derek walked for 4 miles while sunny.
So, Derek walked 4/28 of the total distance while the sun was shining on him.
4/28
= 1/7

Answer: 1/7

Cheers,
Brent

Can you please explain how the sunny time speed 2 miles/hour [ i.e. s miles/h ] and cloudy time speed 3 miles /hour [ i.e. (s+1 ) miles/h ] corroborate to the average speed of 2.8miles /h in the entire distance travelled ?
kind regards,

Originally posted by jelal123 on 22 Jul 2019, 09:07.
Last edited by jelal123 on 22 Jul 2019, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [0]
Send PM
jelal123 wrote:
Can you please explain how the sunny time speed 2/h and cloudy time speed 3/h corroborate to the entire distance speed of 2.8/h?
kind regards,

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
What does h stand for?
Also, I'm not sure where you got 2/h and 3/h. What do these expressions represent?

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Send PM
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work. When it is sunny, he walks at a speed of s miles/hr (s is an integer) and when it gets cloudy, he increases his speed to (s + 1) miles/hr. If his average speed for the entire distance is 2.8 miles/hr, what fraction of the total distance did he cover while the sun was shining on him?

Answer:
1/7

if he only has two running speeds: s and s + 1 then the range of the running speeds is 1.

We also know that his sunny walking speed is an integer. (there would be infinite solutions if this wasn't the case)

Since the average speed is 2.8, we know that s = 2, otherwise we wouldn't be able to get the average 2.8

Let's set up the problem a weighted averages problem:
(2)(t) + (2+1)(1-t) where t is bounded on the interval [0,1]

we want the weighted average to equal 2.8

2t + 3 - 3t = 2.8
-t = -0.2
so t = .2

This means that he spent 1/5 the total time going 2 mph and 4/5 the total time going 3 mph.

In one hour he travels 1/5 * 2 in the sun = 2/5
and one hour 4/5 * 3 partially sunny = 12/5

total distance traveled is 14/5 = 2.8 miles (consistent with the given information)

d_partiallyCloudy / d_total = fraction walked in clouds
(2/5) / (14/5) = 2/14 = 1/7

------------------------

I think pranab01's way is better but I guess here's another perspective haha
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [2]
Send PM

Answer:
1/7

Here's another approach that doesn't assign a "nice value" for the distance traveled...

Let's first start with Derek's regular speed and increased speed (in mph)
We know that these two speeds differ by 1 mph, and we know that Derek's average speed is 2.8 mph.

This tells us that Derek walked 2 mph when it was sunny, and he walked 3 mph when it was cloudy.

Okay now let's deal with the rest of the problem.....

Let's say d = the distance Derek travel

Time = distance/speed
So, Derek's travel time = d/2.8

Since Derek's TOTAL travel time = d/2.8, let's say that:
t = number of hours walking while sunny
So d/2.8 - t = number of hours walking while cloudy

We'll begin with a word equation: (distance traveled while sunny) + (distance traveled while cloudy) = TOTAL distance traveled
Since distance = (speed)(time), we can now write:

(2)(t) + (3)(d/2.8 - t) = d
Expand: 2t + 3d/2.8 - 3t = d
Simplify: 3d/2.8 - t = d
Multiply both sides by 2.8 to get: 3d - 2.8t = 2.8d
Rearrange to get: 0.2d = 2.8t
Solve: t = 0.2d/2.8 = 2d/28 = d/14
In other words, Derek walked for d/14 hours while sunny.

Distance = (speed)(time)
At a walking speed of 2 mph, the distance Derek walked while sunny = (2)( d/14) = 2d/14 = d/7
So, Derek walked d/7 miles of the total distance while the sun was shining on him.

In other words, Derek walked 1/7 of the total distance while the sun was shining on him.

Answer: 1/7

ASIDE: As you can see the problem is much harder to solve when we don't have signed a nice value for the distance in this case

Cheers,
Brent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Send PM
pranab01 wrote:

Answer:
1/7

Explanation::

Since s is an integer and the av. speed is 2.8

hence the s and s+1 should be 2 and 3

Let take x = distance covered during sunny and

y = distance covered in cloudy

Since

\(Av speed = \frac{(Total Distance)}{(Total Time)}\)

\(2.8 = (x+y)/(\frac{x}{2} + \frac{y}{3})\)

or \(2.4x = 0.4y\)

or \(\frac{x}{y} = \frac{1}{6}\)

Hence the total distance did covered while the sun was shining on him = \(\frac{1}{(1+6)} = \frac{1}{7}\)

the harmonic mean of 2 and 3 is 2.4 and not 2.8

I think it is by logic/reasoning that avg speed should between the speeds and as the speeds are integers they must be 2 and 3
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
What I think is important to understand is being able to find that value of \(s\).

If we have two different segments of travel with two arbitrary speeds, call the slower one \(x\) and faster one \(y\), then the average speed, call it \(r_{average}\), is between those two speeds.

In other words:

\(x <= r_{average} <= y\)

And this works for any arbitrary time for the speeds were travelling at, and for any number of segments greater than 1.

So for example, if for one segment I travel 20mph for 1 minute, and the next segment I travel 30mph for 1 hour, my average speed for the whole trip would be very close to 30 since I spent more time travelling at that speed (in fact, it would be 29.83mph).

But here's the important part: No matter how I manipulate the times spent at those speeds, the average speed would never exceed 30mph, or be less than 20mph.

And that's the logic we need to figure out \(s\).

Since the average speed is 2.8, and we're given that \(s\) is an integer, then we know two things:

1) \(s+1\) is an integer.

2) Using the formula above: \(s <= 2.8 <= s+1 \), so it follows that \(s\) must be 2 and \(s+1\) must be 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
why did you chose 2 and 3 why not 20 and 21
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [2]
Send PM
mustafaaldory079 wrote:
why did you chose 2 and 3 why not 20 and 21

I'll answer that question by way of example.
If I spend part of a trip walking 5 miles per hour, and the other part of the trip walking 6 miles per hour, then my average speed will be between 5 and 6 mph.

In this particular question, we're told Derek's average speed is 2.8 miles per hour.
Since s and s+1 are integer values (Derek's speeds), it must be the case that s = 2 and s+1 = 3 (so that Derek's average speed of 2.8 mph is BETWEEN 2 and 3 mph.

Does that help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Send PM
On a partly cloudy day, Derek decides to walk back from work [#permalink]

The average speed -- 2.8 miles per hour -- must be BETWEEN the two individual rates (s and s+1).
Thus, s = 2 miles per hour and s+1 = 3 miles per hour.

This is a MIXTURE problem
A rate of 2 miles per hour is being combined with a rate of 3 miles per hour to yield an average speed of 2.8 miles per hour.
To determine how much WEIGHT must be given to each rate, we can use ALLIGATION:

Step 1: Plot the 3 rates on a number line, with the two individual rates (2 miles per hour and 3 miles per hour) on the ends and the average speed for the whole trip (2.8) in the middle.
2---------------2.8-------------3

Step 2: Calculate the distances between the rates.
2-----0.8-----2.8-----0.2-----3

Step 3: Determine the ratio of the rates.
The required ratio is equal to the RECIPROCAL of the distances in red.
(2 miles per hour) : (3 miles per hour) = 0.2 : 0.8 = 2:8 = 1:4

In rate problems, the weight for each rate is the amount of TIME spent at each rate.
The ratio above implies the following:
For every 1 hour spent traveling at 2 miles per hour, 4 hours must be spent traveling at 3 miles per hour.

Distance traveled in 1 hour at rate of 2 miles per hour = r*t = 2*1 = 2 miles.
Distance traveled in 4 hours at a rate of 3 miles per hour = r*t = 3*4 = 12 miles.
Of the total distance, the fraction traveled at 2 miles per hour \(= \frac{2}{(2+12)} = \frac{2}{14} = \frac{1}{7}\)
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts