Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:10

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33133 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Re: Gre Home Test Experience. Quant-168 and Verbal-159 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Good questions :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
I think yolopolo just did ETS and other couple of free mocks, those who are getting good score with Manhttan mocks should be good to go. To quote him from credit:

-
Quote:
15 days before the exam-----

Manhattan Prep Free: Quant-161 and Verbal-159. I was bummed about my quant scores but i felt it was too long and the DI section was crazy (got all 3 wrong) and also made some silly mistakes. Verbal score gave me more confidence

Princeton free: Quant-162 and Verbal-151. Verbal made me cringe but when I went back and analyzed verbal, I came to the conclusion that it was absolutely garbage so didnt bother with the marks. Now I had the confidence to know which questions are potential GRE questions and which ones are not!

I wanted to only concentrate on RCs now as they were my achilles heel. Greprepclub came to the rescue. This is how I strategized. I was able to do TCs and SEs fairly quickly and decided that I should not take more than 8-10 mins for TCs and SEs. This gave me 20 mins for 10 RC questions so 2 mins on average per RC question.

I went ahead and timed my RC passages while practicing on greprepclub (only Old Gre Big Book questions). I realized i was a bit slow. I was confident that I could understand any passage but I wasnt fast and will struggle during the tests. I went ahead and finished around 50 RC passages maintaining the ritual of 2 mins per Q.
Verbal Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great quote from his reddit post.

I think his RC strategy was the way to go.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
PratU27 wrote:
yolopolo wrote:
Hi.
I have already made a comprehensive reddit post.

As I cannot post links, Google this: "Just gave my GRE at home. Got 327! Quant-168"
Click on the reddit link dated 11th May, 2020

Will summarize the test day experience!

1. Everything went smooth and my test started.
2. Issue question was very weird and I got struck and feel didn't do well (Time will tell) I nailed the argument essay
3. First section was verbal which was really really tough. I was tripping like crazy but kind of reminded myself that it might be the experimental one so was becalmed.
4. Second section was quant and felt really weird and tough and very different to any of the PowerPreps i did before. This made me trip even more, as now I was not sure which section was experimental anymore and felt I was doomed but I carried on!
5. The third section was verbal which felt very easy which made me trip again as that left only 2 possibilities. Either the first verbal section was experimental or it was not and I screwed it up. I soldiered on anyways! My strategy of finishing TC and SE under 10 mins worked like a charm and I never ran short of time in verbal.
6. The fourth section which was Quant was again very tough. Again, I have never seen such weird Quant questions and believe me, I practiced many! QCs were too tough.
7. Last section was verbal which was tough but not as tough as the first section. Now I was sure that my first verbal section would surely have been an experimental one
8. Now it was time to see the results. I was feeling bummed thinking that I have surely screwed up Quant but to my surprise I didn't. I was kind of bummed with my verbal as I felt I should have gotten around 164 but good Quant marks made me forget it!

-----------Tips-----------------

1. Once you are comfortable with all the topics in Quant and Verbal, do lots and lots of timed mocks. You will realize you will definitely make mistakes under time constraints
2. Go back to tip one!

That's all folks!

Great score @yolopolo!

A few follow up questions:
Which mocks did you take? How did you score in them?
Have you taken the GMAT? Were the quant questions on the GRE harder than typical GMAT level questions?

Thanks
PratU27

Hi PratU27
You can look up my reddit post which I feel will answer most of the questions.
I did not take the GMAT. All I can say is that exam Quant was much more tough than PowerPrep Quant!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Great quote from his reddit post.

I think his RC strategy was the way to go.

Thanks

I was able to do TCs and SEs fairly quickly and decided that I should not take more than 8-10 mins for TCs and SEs. This gave me 20 mins for 10 RC questions so 2 mins on average per RC question.

For example : Let's say that there are 3 questions in an RC passage, so according to my strategy I'd have 6 minutes to finish it. I'd spend 50% of the time i.e. 3 minutes on reading the passage and the rest 50% (3 minutes) on the 3 questions, average being 1 minute per question!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
yolopolo wrote:
PratU27 wrote:
yolopolo wrote:
Hi.
I have already made a comprehensive reddit post.

As I cannot post links, Google this: "Just gave my GRE at home. Got 327! Quant-168"
Click on the reddit link dated 11th May, 2020

Will summarize the test day experience!

1. Everything went smooth and my test started.
2. Issue question was very weird and I got struck and feel didn't do well (Time will tell) I nailed the argument essay
3. First section was verbal which was really really tough. I was tripping like crazy but kind of reminded myself that it might be the experimental one so was becalmed.
4. Second section was quant and felt really weird and tough and very different to any of the PowerPreps i did before. This made me trip even more, as now I was not sure which section was experimental anymore and felt I was doomed but I carried on!
5. The third section was verbal which felt very easy which made me trip again as that left only 2 possibilities. Either the first verbal section was experimental or it was not and I screwed it up. I soldiered on anyways! My strategy of finishing TC and SE under 10 mins worked like a charm and I never ran short of time in verbal.
6. The fourth section which was Quant was again very tough. Again, I have never seen such weird Quant questions and believe me, I practiced many! QCs were too tough.
7. Last section was verbal which was tough but not as tough as the first section. Now I was sure that my first verbal section would surely have been an experimental one
8. Now it was time to see the results. I was feeling bummed thinking that I have surely screwed up Quant but to my surprise I didn't. I was kind of bummed with my verbal as I felt I should have gotten around 164 but good Quant marks made me forget it!

-----------Tips-----------------

1. Once you are comfortable with all the topics in Quant and Verbal, do lots and lots of timed mocks. You will realize you will definitely make mistakes under time constraints
2. Go back to tip one!

That's all folks!

Great score @yolopolo!

A few follow up questions:
Which mocks did you take? How did you score in them?
Have you taken the GMAT? Were the quant questions on the GRE harder than typical GMAT level questions?

Thanks
PratU27

Hi PratU27
You can look up my reddit post which I feel will answer most of the questions.
I did not take the GMAT. All I can say is that exam Quant was much more tough than PowerPrep Quant!

Thanks @yolopolo, I'll check it out!
Congratulations again on a great score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi All! Have you got any email post test? I have not received any email since the test? Is is the case for you guys? Should we just wait 10-15 days?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
indonesia96 wrote:
Hi All! Have you got any email post test? I have not received any email since the test? Is is the case for you guys? Should we just wait 10-15 days?

I got my official scores in exactly 8 days.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
6218 posts