Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33140 [7]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
GRE Prep Club Tests Editor
Affiliations: Partner at MyGuru LLC.
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GRE 1: Q169 V168
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Re: Jack, Karl, Marc, and Kate are friends. They collected just [#permalink]
Hi,

The right answer here is (D), since no solution can be determined.

Please be cautious while answering this question, so as to not miss that there are 4 different friends who paid different values, and not 3 friends who paid the same amount. It may be simple to assume that Jack, paying just 1/3rd of a given amount, is paying less than Marc, paying 2/5th of the amount. Therefore, one may be tempted to say 2/5 (40%) is greater than 1/3 (34%). But this is not the case.

This method would only be applicable if the value of the amounts paid by each of the friends was known, or was equal in a 1:1:1:1 ratio (which would make no sense). The real equations that come out are:

Jack = 1/3 (Karl+Kate+Marc)
Marc = 2/5 (Jack+Kate+Karl)
Karl = 1/4 (Kate+Marc+Jack)

None of the values are known, and therefore it is impossible to answer this question based on the information given. Hence, the answer is (D).
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Since there seem to be some competing thoughts on this problem, let's take a look at an algebraic solution :-)

Quote:
Jack, Karl, Marc, and Kate are friends. They collected just enough money to buy a car. Jack contributed 1/3 of what his three friends contributed together. Karl contributed 1/4 of what his three friends contributed together. Marc contributed 2/5 of what his three friends contributed together.

Quantity A
Quantity B
The amount paid by Jack
The amount paid by Marc

Because the values in the quantities are all related to the same shared total, we can set that total = x. Therefore, using the following variables (Jack = j | Kate = k | Karl = l | Marc = m) we know that x = j + k + l + m.

Now, for Quantity A we know algebraically that j = 1/3 (x - j) because x - j is the total without Jack. Multiply the equation by 3 to eliminate the fraction to determine that 3j = x - j . Then, add j to each side to find x = 4j as our new value relating to Quantity A.

Now, for Quantity B we know that algebraically m = 2/5 (x - m) because x - m is the total without Marc. Multiply the equation by 5 to eliminate the fraction to determine that 5m = 2x - 2m . Then, add 2m to each side and divide the full equation by 2 to find 7m/2 = x as our new value relating to Quantity B.

Finally, we can relate the values for m and j directly to each other as 7m/2 = x = 4j. Simplified, 7m/2 = 4j. Multiply each side of the equation by 2 to find that 7m = 8j. Divide the equation by 7 to find that no matter what values are used, m = 8j/7 and is therefore always the greater value. So, select choice B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
StefanMaisnier wrote:
Since there seem to be some competing thoughts on this problem, let's take a look at an algebraic solution :-)

Quote:
Jack, Karl, Marc, and Kate are friends. They collected just enough money to buy a car. Jack contributed 1/3 of what his three friends contributed together. Karl contributed 1/4 of what his three friends contributed together. Marc contributed 2/5 of what his three friends contributed together.

Quantity A
Quantity B
The amount paid by Jack
The amount paid by Marc

Because the values in the quantities are all related to the same shared total, we can set that total = x. Therefore, using the following variables (Jack = j | Kate = k | Karl = l | Marc = m) we know that x = j + k + l + m.

Now, for Quantity A we know algebraically that j = 1/3 (x - j) because x - j is the total without Jack. Multiply the equation by 3 to eliminate the fraction to determine that 3j = x - j . Then, add j to each side to find x = 4j as our new value relating to Quantity A.

Now, for Quantity B we know that algebraically m = 2/5 (x - m) because x - m is the total without Marc. Multiply the equation by 5 to eliminate the fraction to determine that 5m = 2x - 2m . Then, add 2m to each side and divide the full equation by 2 to find 7m/2 = x as our new value relating to Quantity B.

Finally, we can relate the values for m and j directly to each other as 7m/2 = x = 4j. Simplified, 7m/2 = 4j. Multiply each side of the equation by 2 to find that 7m = 8j. Divide the equation by 7 to find that no matter what values are used, m = 8j/7 and is therefore always the greater value. So, select choice B.

Thanks! I stand corrected. I jumped to a conclusion too quickly :D
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
grewhiz wrote:
Thanks! I stand corrected. I jumped to a conclusion too quickly :D

It's how those tricky GRE test makers work! Happens to all of us, but I'm glad that I had a reason to do both explanations.

Remember that most frequently there is more than one method to solving any particular GRE problem - especially Quantitative Comparisons.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Send PM
StefanMaisnier wrote:
Quote:

Quantity A
Quantity B
The amount paid by Jack
The amount paid by Marc

To most efficiently evaluate Quantitative Comparisons first attempt to eliminate values shared by both quantities to precisely determine the relationship between the quantities.

In this scenario, no matter what total amount of money the friends received, it will be the same impact for both Quantity A and Quantity B, so conceptually, we can eliminate the total from consideration in both.

Then, we are just comparing 2/5 of three friends vs 1/3 of three friends. Since the values must be non-negative to add to a real total, we can confidently compare 1/3 vs 2/5 alone without worrying about negative values affecting any products.

2/5 > 1/3, so the correct answer is choice B - Quantity B is always greater.

Why will it have same impact on both quantity A & B? How did you deduce that?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I think the answer is B. It's clear why and the explanation you will find above, the same as mine. The question is why they bought this car. I'm curious about it, what car will buy three friends lol.. I would like my friends to contribute too, to buy a car..and drive it when going to travel. Although, this might work if you are a single man or girl. Nowadays, a married one is gonna pay from his savings for the best car even if it's a used one. As I did too but just getting a loan. It's impossible for a simple employee to buy a 2016 car, for example. That's why Money Expert Car Finance contributed to this dream of mine
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Send PM
RSQUANT wrote:
Carcass wrote:

Quantity A
Quantity B
The amount paid by Jack
The amount paid by Marc

A) Quantity A is greater.
B) Quantity B is greater.
C) The two quantities are equal.
D) The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

Let Jack's, Karl's, Marc's and Kate's contribution be w, x, y and z

Accordingly the first equation is

w = 1/3 * (x + y + z)

3 * w = x + y + z

Add w to both sides

4 * w = Total

w = Total / 4

Similarly

y = 2/5 * (w + x + z)

y = Total / 3.5

Therefore y is greater

Thanks, this solutions made things much more clear and better for me to understand!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Hi.
We do not need information for Karl, as everything is given for Jack and Marc.
(K + A (for Kate) + M)/3 = J. => K + A =3J - M
(J + K + A)2/5 = M. => K + A = 5/2M - J

3J - M =5/2M - J
4J = 7/2M
M = 8/7J
M > J
Solution B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [2]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM

I take smart numbers in such problems.
Since contribution amount is given in fractions so take LCM of 3,4,5 as they contributed with 1/3, 1/4 and 2/5
so LCM is 60
Now,
Jack contributed 1/3*60 = 20
Karl contributed 1/4*60 = 15
Marc contributed 2/5*60 = 24

So answer is Marc which is option B
GRE Prep Club Legend
GRE Prep Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GRE Prep Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GRE Prep Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts