Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Send PM
Re: 300 test results are integers ranging from 15 to 75, inclusi [#permalink]
Sakshi7591 wrote:
300 test results are integers ranging from 15 to 75, inclusive. Dominick’s result is clearly in the 80th percentile of those results, not the 79th or the 81st.

Quantity A
Quantity B
Number of other test results in the same
percentile as Dominick’s
Maximum number of other test-takers with the
same result as Dominick

A)The quantity in Column A is greater.
B)The quantity in Column B is greater.
C)The two quantities are equal.
D)The relationship cannot be determined from the information given.

I have big problem with this question, the word "clearly" might mean that for 80 percentile would have the same test result, then for Quant A "Number of other test results in the same percentile as Dominick’s" might be 0.

Or the "other test result" can mean other people get the same result as Dominick? VERY confusing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q165 V157

GRE 2: Q165 V156

GRE 3: Q166 V159
Send PM
Re: STATISICS-300 test results are integers [#permalink]
I am not able to understand this question, Is there an easy way to understand?
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33140 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Expert Reply
Merged similar post

Regards
MyGuru Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Flashinthepan wrote:
I am not able to understand this question, Is there an easy way to understand?

The question is asking you to compare the number of scores in a particular percentile rank (the 80th) with the maximum number of scores that match a given score.

You can think of percentiles as "bins" of 1% each, going from the lowest possible score (15) to the highest (75).

To figure out the value in choice A:

Although we don't know the actual distribution of scores, we can take the 300 total scores and imagine they are distributed evenly into the 100 *bins*, which would mean that the 80th percentile (bin) contains 3 students, or two in addition to Dominick.

To figure out the value in choice B:

We need to find the maximum number of other scores that match Dominick's. If the scores were evenly distributed (3 per percentile "bin"), we know that there will be two other scores equivalent to Dominick's in the 80th percentile. Even though we don't actually know the score distribution, we can't have any more than three equal scores, or we could no longer determine that they would remain in the 80th percentile.

The maximum is two other scores equal to Dominick's, and the categories are equal.

Answer: C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 174 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Carcass wrote:
Merged similar post

Regards

May you please clarify this question because I didn't understand the upper explanations ?

Now in the GRE scores ( someone could score 170 which = to 97 percentile) which means that he is better than the 97 percent of the people who took the test.
Coming to this question,
I know that 1 percentile represents 1 % of the data, so each percentile = 3 students. How does this exist that each percentile represents equal amount of data ?

Why we can't say that 80 percentile could represent the best score and the rest 59 student are in the same percentile for example?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 11691 [3]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Asmakan wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Merged similar post

Regards

May you please clarify this question because I didn't understand the upper explanations ?

Now in the GRE scores ( someone could score 170 which = to 97 percentile) which means that he is better than the 97 percent of the people who took the test.
Coming to this question,
I know that 1 percentile represents 1 % of the data, so each percentile = 3 students. How does this exist that each percentile represents equal amount of data ?

Why we can't say that 80 percentile could represent the best score and the rest 59 student are in the same percentile for example?

GIVEN: 300 test results are integers ranging from 15 to 75, inclusive. Dominick’s result is clearly in the 80th percentile of those results, not the 79th or the 81st.
I'm not a huge fan of this question.
The idea is that the word "clearly" is supposed to tell us that the other scores in the 80th percentile are all equal.

If the 300 scores consisted of...
240 scores of 15
Dominick's score of 25
and 59 scores of 75,
...I'd say that Dominick's score is an 80th percentile score (since 240/300 = 80%)
I can also be certain that his score isn't in the 79th or the 81st percentile.

It's unclear to me (unless I'm missing something) why the word CLEARLY excludes the above scenario.

I suggest you skip this question and move on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
STATISICS-300 test results are integers [#permalink]
The question is testing the concept of a percentile? 300 test results which can take values from 15-75 inclusive.
If we had 100 test results Dominick test result would have been at 81th position out of 100.
since 300 test results he is at 241 position(percentile gives the precise location of each result in a distribution arranged in ascending order) said so , Qty A and Qty B are asking the result at 241th position , there can be none , both are zero
Hence C.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
1085 posts
GRE Instructor
218 posts