Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close

GRE Prep Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GRE score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Copenhagen Business School - Class of 2022
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 33131 [0]
Given Kudos: 25178
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GRE vocab book [#permalink]
Carcass
Thank you for the link.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mentor
I am a passionate reader and I read on a daily basis articles for ForeignAffairs, The Atlantic, The Guardian, Financial Times...
I do agree with you that cramming a bunch of words won’t be enough, but in all honesty it does help a bit.
Since starting I have noticed ehen reading that there are particular words that I have memorized and are now showing up in FA or FT.
I guess the main reason for the memorization is to get one’s speed in reading and comprehension

Manager
Manager
Send PM
It is not a way to a good score, yet it does help out(I hope) in the long run.
What you also have to take into account is the fact that english is only my 4th language, thereby the vocab building comes in handy, even though I have C2

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I agree that memorizing words does not help to get maximum results. From personal experience, I will say that I try to make associations when studying new terminology, which will help in many situations to remember them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
GRE vocab book [#permalink]
Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful for me. This book can help me in my research that deals with the linguistic aspects of modernist novels of the early 20th century. The topic is very complex and academic, so I collaborate with Edubirdie, which helps me with materials and ideas on the topic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
As there are mainly three sections in GRE verbal section. The first one is Reading Comprehension, the second one is Text Completion and the third one is sentence equivalence. Now you need a book that includes every section in detail. Saying a book does not mean that one verbal book is enough to get you through the full course in detail. In order to ace your studies, you will need to read more than one book.
Now let me tell things section-wise.
1- Reading comprehension A typical Verbal section will contain 10 RC questions, based on short passages that contain from 100-450 words. The paragraphs could be about the humanities, history, science, or social science.

2- Text completion- You will be presented with a sentence or paragraph with one, two, or three blanks. Your task will be to complete the sentence or paragraph based on not just grammar, but also the style of the surrounding language. There are typically 6 TC questions in a Verbal section.

3- Sentance Equivalnce- You will be presented with a sentence with 1 blank and 6 answers; you’ll need to find the 2 answers that fill in the blank. There will generally be 4 SE questions in a Verbal section.

Now search for the books that give information related to these three sections.

Hope this answers your question.
Prep Club for GRE Bot
[#permalink]
Moderators:
Verbal Expert
28641 posts